Spooky?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by fletch920, Jan 20, 2019.

1. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    "Rock Star" ego?

The desire for public success is like a drug for some guys.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wait you pleasure yourself while hunting?

cantexian, Lester and fletch920 like this.
  3. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    2bc76cc1a7af986a2b6fb8cb22aa62df[1].jpg

WillO, Lester, airenlow and 1 other person like this.
  4. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Doesn’t everybody? Why don’t you think I see any deer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You referring to Donald Trump? :biggrin: :nana:

JeffC likes this.
  6. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Actually, Obama spent a lot more time chasing down talk show appearances and strutting out like a peacock. But, yes, Donald does seem to enjoy some special attention.

7. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's possible.

There's a guy in SC who has killed several in-state booners in back to back to back succession and folks who don't even know him are so sure he's a poacher somehow some way. Because the odds are astronomically against it happening [some reason] a person must be cheating.

Western MA Hunter likes this.
  8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Killing a couple Boone & Crockett deer is one thing. Repeatedly killing 200"+ world-class whitetails is another. I have no doubt that Spook is a good hunter and dedicates himself to his craft. He seems like the kind of guy that does things in excess to the Nth degree. Call me naive, but I don't think he's a poacher or doing things illegally. I personally felt like the original violation in KS was a bit of a witch hunt.

However, the question is how do you repeatedly gain access to properties that hold these types of deer? They aren't everywhere and even people with huge tracts of managed land in the best areas of the country for big bucks don't produce deer like this on a regular basis. I'm talking the Drurys, Kiskys, Lakoskys, etc. For him to be killing this caliber of deer, in multiple states no less, is a virtual impossibility without a hefty bounty put out to allow access to hunt them. People aren't banging down the door of a guy surrounded in controversy so he can go hunt their world-class deer for free.

9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    200 inches ain't nothing. 250 is the new 200.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

fletch920 likes this.
  10. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    This would be the only legitimate possibility that makes sense and is within the bounds of the law. I have heard of guys putting out bounties to rural postal carriers and UPS drivers etc. Even school bus drivers are a great source of information on finding big bucks to hunt.

He painted the Kansas incident to be a witch hunt. Not sure that it really was. He was leasing the ground, then had a contract to purchase, etc., etc., but once the buck was dead, he never bought the farm apparently. That all seems a bit contrived to get his hands on those antlers. It really makes no difference unless there were some local guys with a legitimate chance of hunting that same deer. Then, I feel bad for them.

11. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    dork

:biggrin:

virginiashadow likes this.
  12. Prouder27

Prouder27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    MONEY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In this (connected) day and age we live in, it's really not that hard. You simply have to want it, have the time and be willing to spend the money.

I actually know Spook personally. He "networks" harder for deer than most people manage, plot, scout and hunt each year. He is in constant contact with nearly all the big outfitters around the country, along with 100's of serious hunters that scout and network 365 as well...everyone knows that Spook has deep pockets.

14. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Big trees all around, dark and lonesome road, a crazed, poisoned dog howling and moaning in a ditch alongside the road sending electrified chills up and down Spook Spann’s spine, coming up on a crossroads just south of Rosedale.

Man sitting off to the side of the road on a log at the crossroads says, “You’re late, Spook Spann.” Spook Spann drops to his knees and says, “Maybe not.”

Spook Spann says, “That dog gone mad.”

The man laughs. “That hound belong to me. He ain’t mad, he’s got the Blues. I got his soul in my hand.”

15. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    MUDSHARK, cml5895 and fletch920 like this.
  16. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Jeloulosy is alive n well here I see.

I don't know who he is but...
    If I had deep pockets like is being mentioned, I'd travel the world and hunt critters most have never heard of.

Until there is evidence against him otherwise, congrats Spooky:clap:

17. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    People that pay big money to hunt world clsss bucks what do they pay? What do you guys think is the finders fee or whatever you want to call it. I know ranches charge more the higher up inch class buck you take. If he is paying to private owners for free range chances at a 200”+ I would think it would be even more than ranch deer.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah but there is when he was popped for guiding and baiting while his hunting rights were suspended based on his other violation, he called it a witch hunt but when you get caught violating the terms of your sentence you kinda lose the ability to play the witch hunt card.

airenlow likes this.
  19. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Money, and I'd imagine more than we ever care to know, is most likely what is putting this guy on these deer. This is what IMO, is ruining deer hunting across the nation. Its unfortunate that now days, when we hear of a world class or possible record book buck being killed, there is always a level of skepticism. We've seen this type of thing go up in smoke more often than not anymore. There was a really good article that I found that broke down, with numbers, just how rare a 170" deer is, let alone a 200+ inch deer. My goal is to kill a booner class deer and the article really put a damper on this for me. Unless of course I wan to spend a great deal of money.

Maybe he's doing nothing wrong, maybe he is. Thats for the law and officials to figure out.

w33kender and fletch920 like this.
  20. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Years ago there was a guy making a name for himself on the bass circuits, lower level and then eventually one of the top circuits. He seemed to have the magic touch to catch the big fish of the tournament in over 50% of the tournaments that he was entered. I was lucky enough to chat with Rick Clunn (extremely accomplished pro bass angler for those who don't follow bass tournaments) at the time and asked him what he thought of this new guy always catching these huge bass. Rick's reply was somewhat prophetic, he said, "I consider myself to be a pretty good fisherman (major understatement on his part) and I can count on my hand the amount of times that I have caught the big bass in a tournament. A big fish like that is a gift, something you don't get to experience that often. I suspect that there is some sort of foul play going on and it will eventually be discovered."

True to form, the individual was mysteriously disqualified from the next tour level event and immediately disappeared from fishing tournaments as a whole. The tournament organization that DQ'd him never did come out and show all on what they busted him for, but it suffices to say that it must have been pretty damning to have the guy disappear completely afterwards.

I see Spook in the same light as above...I will never discount hard work and dedication in hunting success, but when you eclipse to the level that he has, something just isn't right. I'll also admit that due to his previous legal issues, I find his success to be highly questionable.