Switching to Mathews?...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt

Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, for the last 5 years, I have shot Hoyt. And over the last 2 years I have wanted to try out a 27.5" draw over a 27". So, I went to my local shop to see if they had any in stock, and of course the only one they had was a Triax... I have always been very partial to the brands that I use. As being a Hoyt guy for a while, I know the opinions that most people have for Mathews, and I too have gradually adopted this way of thinking :lol:. Anyways, I tried out the Triax, and immediately contemplated my loyalty to Hoyt. I have not shot any of the newer Hoyts, so I do not know how they shoot. All I know is that with my Carbon Spyder Turbo, Im pulling back 60#, but might as well be pulling 70# and the Triax felt closer to 50 when the guy at the shop measured it as 62#.

My main question is how does the Triax hold up at longer ranges? Going from a 32" ATA to a 28" is a big difference. I wouldn't shoot at an animal past 35 yards (unless hunting in a field, 30 yards would be the longest shot I would have to take on an animal where I hunt). But I like to practice at 60 all the way to 90 yards just for fun, as well as competition archery.

2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Has no problem shooting out to those distances, practice makes the master! I could shoot great groups out to 80yds with the triax. I prefer longer ATA bows tho, it’s a sweet bow for blind hunting compared to my prime with the much longer ATA. I would shoot the Hoyt Nitrux if I was you, you like Hoyt’s and it’s a real shooter!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  3. Skunkworkx

Skunkworkx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot a bunch and see what you like...I liked the Triax, but that 28" ATA was hard to get past...ended up with a Vertix, yes only 2" longer ATA, but felt good in the hands.

Looks good at 100yds

dstouffer likes this.
  4. Riverduck11

Riverduck11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Take your time and shoot a few others. There are a bunch of great bows this year.

I shot all the bows from PSE, Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech and Prime. It is amazing home much different each of the bows feel. After shooting PSE for over 20 years, I landed on the Prime CT3. Smooth Draw, steady hold and balance of the bow after the shot won me over. Also, the Prime bows all computed back to the advertised IBO while several of the other bows did not.

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the Brotherhood! I shot and killed my Antelope at 52 yards in Wyoming with my Triax in August of 2018. The farthest I shoot is 70 yards and it does really well at that distance.

6. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wanna get the Triax, but only got my Halon 32 2 seasons ago. The wife would kill me, and the would be the option for me!! Love my Halon 32, great bow. Took a lot of deer with it.