Tree saddle hunting...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mikerock85, Jun 25, 2014.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would think this would easily work for a stand for the feet with a saddle set up. But, I could be wrong. I am still considering getting into saddle hunting and this was an option I thought might work.

https://www.summitstands.com/summit-stump

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been climbing trees for 38 years now, and I just wouldn't deer hunt from my saddle, or any type of saddle for that matter. Too restrictive for my liking, especially for long periods. Just curious, how do you take a leak when hunting from a saddle? :biggrin:

3. ThrustWasher

ThrustWasher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Pissing from a saddle is actually quite easy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Think theres a company called tathrd that makes them also

5. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been mulling over a saddle purchase myself and finally decided to pull the trigger tonight. Expensive but I’m looking forward to dumping my summit Goliath that I drag in each time right now. Next step is lightweight sticks, but those can wait until later!

Super excited to hunt from a saddle and practicing with it this summer!

SheddingLightTravis likes this.
  6. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go over to saddlehunter.com. There’s a ton of great information and some super helpful people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I started looking for a new setup after a trip to Illinois public land, I got my butt whipped trying to get through some thick stuff with my climber. I spent 45 min just getting to a spot only to find out the map I used as recon was old an did not show how thick it was. Burned my entire afternoon hunt and realized my setup was too much of a burden to use as a hasty scout/setup. I will most likely still put up a few stands at my local private spot, but I am already excited about getting to public land spots that no one wants to walk to.
    Mine is scheduled for delivery today!

Swamp Stalker and virginiashadow like this.
  8. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice! The convenience seems like a really good option for someone who can't leave stands overnight.

9. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Alrighty, I've been messing around trying to figure this thing and I must say, it's pretty cool.
    I've spent about 1.5hrs making adjustments and got on a tree for a few min. Glad I got it during the off season because its going to take some getting used to.
    I need the sun to come up and the rain needs to quit, I really want to get some time in this thing. It feels like I'm going to slide out of the bottom but I'm sure I just need to get it setup.
    Ropeman1 was a great addition as well.

10. SheddingLightTravis

Dislikes Received:
    It’s fun to figure out. Make sure you wear it kind of loose and not super tight when your about to ascend. If you wear it too tight it rides up too much and ends up more on your lower back. By keeping it loose it makes a good cup around your butt and it doesn’t ride up. Eliminates the feeing that you’ll slide out the bottom (which is impossible for those who aren’t familiar)

11. Prouder27

Prouder27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How long have these steps been in production. I found a stand scouting today in Michigan back in some swamps with these as it’s steps. However the stand was rusted out and looked ancient.

12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Also try and lower your tether. Try putting at about eye level first. If your still feeling like your sliding down, keep moving your tether down. Did you get the micro adjusters?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

13. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I got the micro adjusters and I'm sure I had it too tight. It's raining and dark so I just did a quick test.
    I put the tether at eye level and went up and down then adjusted the length from the bridge in and out.
    I'm in no rush to be ready, but I did move around the tree a bit, it's really cool. I'll have a lot more time working out the details over the weekend, hopefully I'll be sending a few arrows at a target and see how that feels.
    Option 2: I do some squats and get a ghetto booty to hold the saddle in place

14. SheddingLightTravis

Dislikes Received:
    If they are black and on a nylon strap they probably are Ameristep. Which is in high demand since they are no longer in production. Bullman Steps have t been around that long I don’t think.

15. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I mean, this is awesome, small package, light weight and simple setup. Everything came in this little package.
    20190117_201757.jpg

16. Prouder27

Prouder27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah they were black with a tan/grey nylon strap. Cool thanks for the reply.

17. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Day 1 report: I think I have all the big adjustments out of the way. It was quite comfortable just hanging there, even put my knees on the tree and sat.
    Broke out the lone wolf sticks and climbed, that will need some practice.
    I need a platform, I'm ready to go all the way up.
    I do have concerns over the attachment to the tether, its not a big prusik knot and that's the only thing keeping my life in that tree. But, 100's of others are comfortable with it so I'll just have to get confidence in it.
    Overall, I think it was worth the investment and if I can't get used to it, I'm sure I could turn it over for what I have in it.

18. SheddingLightTravis

Dislikes Received:
    Before you unclip your lineman’s belt, put some pressure on that tether. Slowly loosen the linemen’s harness. You’ll gain confidence in it over time. That knot is designed to catch.

Before you go platform check out the ring of steps. Much cheaper/lightweight option. It allows you to walk all the way around the tree. I haven’t tried a platform yet...mainly because I don’t want the extra weight and I don’t want to spend a ton more money.

19. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I left my lineman's belt on but had it loose, if, for some reason that prusik failed (which I doubt), I would have some bruises but would be alive. I did get the tether tight prior to loosening up the lineman belt, without a platform, it is really hard to get a good feel at hunting height. I agree that the ring steps may be the best option, a stand it helpful but I want to move around the tree like a ninja.
    As of now, I have my saddle comfortable and found that the tether is at my forehead and the bridge/carabiner is set at my sternum. I went high/low, short/long trying to find the best comfort zone that worked best for me.
    I think I'll order the ring of steps and get the target out this weekend and practice shooting. Also, need to either use some of my old army molle pouches or get the SYS haulers.

20. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    crazy how much saddle hunting has made a come back. I knew guys back in the 80"s that used them

Berwickbuckmaster likes this.