Adhesive question

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by John T., Dec 27, 2018.

1. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    New to the website and forum. Signed up because of the wide range of topics covered regarding archery and bowhunting. I'm an NASP coach here in SE TN. As a result, I have a lot of fletching/vanes to replace. Good because the kids are shooting tight groups! I see a bunch of adhesives on the market for attaching the vanes. Is there any difference in the CA glue between brands? I can get CA glue in a number of places, including Lowe's, Harbor Freight and the Dollar Tree plus the sporting goods stores around here. Thanks for your help.

2. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    Thought I would get some replies. I changed a vane on an arrow and experimented with HF CA glue. It was thin but so far it seems to hold OK. Will see how it holds up with shooting it a bunch of times.

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    if you're not getting responses, search the forum for "adhesive" "glue" "fletch" etc. Especially check the Tech threads.
    I would like to help more but when I build my own arrows I use NAP quick fletch. I used to use Arizona EZ fletch adhesives but that was 20 some years ago.

4. gauge

gauge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I clean my arrows with denatured alcohol and use aee max bond glue. Not sure of the make up of different glues but I will say this it smells very similar to plain super glue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the help. Comes at good timing- have a bunch of NASP arrows for repair. I clean off the old vane and adhesive. gauge, I use DNA for a lot of things so I buy it by the gallon. Same with acetone. Clean, wipe and let dry. Right now I'm using Arizona Archery Fastset Gel. I experimented with some old aluminum arrows that I shoot for funsies- plain ol' CA glue from Harbor Freight. It was thin so I would opt for the gel formula. I buy high priced CA glue for making custom pens. They all smell the same. I have a friend who is a chemical engineer. Will ask him if there are different types of CA glue. Keep them in the X ring!

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    John cleaning is the most important step that and less is more. I use regular old super glue, what ever I find at the grocery store. Clean the arrow with denatured alcohol, use a q-tip to clean the base of the fletch with denatured alcohol let it dry, apply a thin bead of glue and attach to arrow, make sure you have a solid connection to the arrow and let it set for 20 secs or so. Clean off excess glue with q-tip. put a little drop of glue on the tip of the vane and let dry. Then put a drop on the tail of the vane and let dry. done.

Just make sure you have good vane to arrow contact on your jig prior to putting glue on it and then use the least amount possible to get adhesion. I haven't seen it yet but vane composition could be an issue for some glues just be aware of that.

7. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    copperhead, I do it just like you. Can't clean too much. The drop on the ends of the vane makes good sense. Never thought of that. The HF glue is a bit thin but seems to work. Have several NASP arrows to work on.

copperhead likes this.
  8. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've used AAE fastset gel for years without issue, works great. It does set FAST!

gauge likes this.
  9. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    early in, I have used the AAE, Easton Gel, and one other in a silver tube. Too lazy to look at the LAS catalogue to get the name. Thanks for the testimonial.

early in likes this.