Spitfire XXX And other NAP products

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by kjstaudt86, Jan 6, 2019.

1. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm playing catch up on the episodes and I'm noticing a pattern this year with all of you guys on the show. Most of you are shooting the xxx this season. I know it seemed like in seasons past, you guys all shot different NAP products, am I wrong on this? I personally shoot the XXX & love it. Just curious, did NAP want a little more exposure on these heads this season, I just figured you'd have guys across the board shooting different NAP products such as their new one swingfire. Any results on those heads yet this season?

Justin I know you have shot the thunderhead nitros I believe.

2. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve shot the xxx for 4 seasons now and I love them and I think most people once they shoot them they fall for them as well

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone is free to shoot whatever broadhead they want and I believe our team has found the Spitfire XXX to be a proven performer so more and more people have gravitated towards it over time. Todd is still shooting Killzone Maxx and I'm a mix of both Thunderhead Nitro and Spitfire XXX. Both work exceptionally well and have never let me down.

kjstaudt86 likes this.
  4. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No doubt. I was thoroughly impressed with them when I made the switch last year. Devastating to game animals.

bowhunter42 likes this.
  5. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love the Maxx & XXX's. I have been shooting them for years with great results!

6. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been using the Maxx’s because I was a little worried about lack of penetration of the larger XXX’s. I may move to them because my preferred supplier doesn’t carry the Maxx’s. Any issues with getting pass-throughs with the XXX?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    None at all. They're essentially the same head with a different blade angle to adjust cutting diameter. The XXX and Maxx perform virtually identical to one another.

8. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will say, I personally do prefer the Chisel Tips on the older Maxx's more than what the XXX have, but they still work great. I just seem to get more penetration if I hit opposite shoulder with the old chisel tip Maxx

Planopurist likes this.
  9. Planopurist

Dislikes Received:
    Thx. I was considering picking up a pack for my last hunt this weekend, but I just touched up my Maxx’s some. I’ll get some for next year.

10. zach1988

zach1988 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I haven’t had any luck with the xxx I have two brand new never been shot not open up one complete pass through

11. Planopurist

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that. You think the only factor were the heads in those shots?

What’s your setup? What other mechanicals have you had success with?

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'll go out on a limb and say it is virtually impossible for any Spitfire broadhead to not deploy when shot into an animal. Most often people believe their head did not deploy because they find the head with the blades closed after the shot. This is caused predominantly when an arrow passes through the animal and stops suddenly before it fully exits the animal. I've also seen this happen if the arrow falls out the other side of the animal. The sudden stop causes the blades to fly forward and slam closed.

The first thing to look for is blood/hair under the blades. 90% of the time that's a sure-fire indicator they blades opened and then closed. The second things to look for are small marks or indents where the blades hit the ferrule of the broadhead as they open. Since they open with such a great amount of force they will leave a noticeable mark or indentation when that happens. That will 100% confirm the head opened on impact.

I've been down this road with a dozen or so people through the years who swore their Spitfire did not open and I've yet to see any physical proof that actually happened. Most of the time they see those indents on the ferrule and problem solved.

copperhead and dnoodles like this.
  13. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot dozens of deer with the spitfire maxx. They have never failed to open. Like Justin said, I have found them and they have appeared to be closed, but upon inspection of the nearby dead deer, i can see that they opened and did their job. I don't see how they could not open with their design. But I guess anything is possible.

14. zach1988

zach1988 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well Justin went and looked at both of the Broadheads and and your exactly right just crazy to me that one head two blades closed back and the other all three

justinwmoe88 and Justin like this.
  15. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    It is strange, but it happens. I have seen or heard every deer I have shot with the Maxx go down with a well placed shot. I had one nice buck take me on a hike due to a low hit, but I had a great blood trail and did find him.

16. zach1988

zach1988 Newb

Dislikes Received:
  17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Right on! In my opinion, the Spitfire broadheads are truly the pinnacle of mechanical broadhead design. Everyone keeps trying to come up with a better mousetrap but this one works so damn well I've yet to see anything I'd rather shoot. They fly great, have crazy sharp blades and penetrate as well as any mechanical head I've ever seen or used. And I'm sorry but I'll take 3 blades over 2 any day of the week when I'm trying to kill animals with them. Killzones, Rages and others will sure leave a hell of an entry hole and kill a deer deader than dead but I still don't think they're as good pound-for-pound as the Spitfire.

18. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed... They have been around for quite some time. They haven't left the market place or really been tweaked over the years. Just a little here an there with blade length. Nothing better in my opinion as far as mechanicals go.

bowhunter42 likes this.
  19. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    The XXX has a chisel tip it doesn’t have the blades in the top of tip if that’s what you’re think of. That’s why I use the xxx as well. I like the chisel tip for penetrating power

20. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bowhunter42, I must have called it the wrong thing.
    These are the tips I prefer, however, I have had luck with both tips.