Question about sight pins

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WildernessPhantom, Jan 14, 2019.

1. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello all,

I am seeing a lot of the new multi pin sights can be built custom to order. I have always just kind of used what came on the sight. I was curious what you all like as far as colors and size go for a 3 pin sight. I have been looking at the 3 pin slider sights and was thinking .019 for the top two and 0.10 for the bottom pin. I am just curious what color/size combos you all like. Thanks in advance and God bless.

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Before you choose a .10, consider a couple things-

How old are you/how is your vision? A .10 is super small. My eyes had a hard time picking them up, and that's even with the Fast Eddie's super bright dots. I even sent my .10 Fast Eddie back because I just couldn't pick them out; even though the .19s were selling for $30 more at the time.

I understand the logic behind considering the .10 for the longer distance shots, but how far are you considering shooting? I shoot mine out to 80 yards and the .19 dot doesn't really cover up that much of the point of aim. Maybe a difference of 1" at long distance. If you are looking to do a lot of long distance 3D a .10 might make the difference b/t a 10 or a 12 ring, but for hunting it's kind of overkill. I'd take the quicker sight acquisition over the minute precision.

Lastly, I don't know what rig you're shooting but 3 pins would be mostly overkill for my bow. At 25 yards, my second pin (which is only a dot in the Fast Eddie XL) is at 40. Literally no need to adjust anything at ranges from 0-40 yards. I'm currently pushing roughly 280fps with 500gr arrows, so they start dropping pretty fast after 50 yards. Yes that 3rd pin would make adjustment even less necessary to use the slide; but then why are you spending the money on a good slider sight to begin with? If you want to do minimal adjusting then why not just buy a good 4 or 5 fixed pin sight and be done with it?

As far as colors; personal preference but my top dot is green and my bottom is red- the reason being is red is not as bright, and at longer distances at low light by the time the bottom dot fades from view I probably don't want to be shooting that distance (40 yards+) anyway. Kind of a self-restricting mechanism. As daylight light fades I can just keep checking my sight while the bow is in the holder. Once the red dot is almost faded from view I know I'm limited to 25 yards or less and it's probably about time to start packing up.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  3. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    These are all really great points. Some I never really thought of like the bottom red fading kind of letting you know not to shoot that far. I am 38 and have 20/20 vision. I would never shoot past 40 yards and probably no more than 35 in the woods. I do not shoot 3-d competitively and only practice at 50+ to make closer shots seem easier. I shoot a switchback xt at around 67-68 lbs, 28 inch draw with an arrow that is about 400 grains. This would be for hunting and practice. I had really been thinking about a single pin slider. I read Bills article about only needing 1 pin for up to 35 yards which seemed great. The local shop here is big on the new 3 pin sliders. I have had a G5 Optix xr on my bow for a long time and was just thinking of a change. I'm torn about the single pin. I know I could compensate for the up and down minor adjustments, just do not want to move the sight in the moment of truth. I believe singles would work maybe better with todays speed bows, I just have not found a bow I shoot better than my switchback xt. Mainly I was wanting to go for less window clutter. That was the single pin idea, and just aim and shoot kind of thing. Sights are not cheap so I want to be sure before I buy. Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it.

dnoodles likes this.
  4. gauge

gauge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with dnoodles. 010 is a bit difficult at times to pick up. I've switched to blue optic. It doesn't have the halo effect that you can get from green or orange.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    .026 green
    .019 green
    .019 green

Can't see the .010. Can't see red well. 3 pins (at 25 - 35 - 50yds) so less clutter. Max shot distance at an animal is 40 yards so basically it's a 2 pin sight. The 50 yard pin is for practice and longer follow up shot on a deer if needed. Never tried the blue. I was thinking of getting a fiber and trying it this winter.

6. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    Good idea. I like the pin distance set up. I’ve always done 20 30 40 but your set up kind of ties the way people set a single pin with a second and covers distances in between. All good stuff. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    You're welcome- Check out the Spott Hogg Fast Eddie XL 2 dot. One pin, just 2 dots. Talk about no clutter. Like I said for me the top dot is set at 25 the bottom dot is 40, no adjustment necessary at all. I just hold a little low at closer distance. If for whatever reason I choose to take a long shot I have plenty of time to use the adjustment slider.

No, I'm not sponsored or affiliated in any way- I've been shooting vertical pins since 2012 as I hate all the clutter in horizontal pins; especially since I target shoot long distance regularly. Vertical pins just work better for me. I started out with the Trophy Ridge React V3 and V5 series; then upgraded to the Fast Eddie once they came out with the 2 dot version. I love it.

Honestly, for the type of shooting you do with your rig, if you're looking to save money I would take a look at the Trophy Ridge React V3. You should be ok at 25-35-50 or something similar- all in a vertical pin set up. I think they may only make the V5 (5 pin) model now; but you can still find the V3 NIB online.

https://www.amazon.com/Trophy-Ridge-Alpha-Bow-Sight/dp/B07C4Y25J8
    (that's a LH model only)

https://www.ebay.com/p/Trophy-Ridge...-Bow-Sight-Right-Hand-Bear-Archery/2255240949
    (RH model)

I've had my V5 on my Mission since Aug 2013- took it elk hunting that year and it took some abuse then and since then. It's tough as nails. I still have my V3 as a back up back up.

8. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks again. I was willing to spend around 200 on the sight. I was recently looking at the black gold ascent whitetail either single or 3 pin model. I’m not against a cheaper sight, just planned on spending more. With the two dot single pin you use, does speed of the bow effect anything? My bow isn’t as fast as new bows. I haven’t looked at the sight and didn’t know if each fit could be changed. Thanks again. Whole reason I’m on here is to get first hand experience from hunters. I appreciate it.

9. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    I meant each dot of single pin. Sorry typo.

10. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    well, because I am using a heavy arrow set up my bow is not a screamer. Appx. 280 fps. If I was using ~435gr arrows (which would be stock 31" 350 spine out of the box arrows with 100gr tips) I would be pushing over 335 fps. Anyway, the slider sights come with several yardage tapes which are pre-calculated. Check out youtube for more details; but suffice to say once you get the top dot set at 20, use a grease pencil or paint marker to mark the side of the dial where the little pointer is...pointing. Then gradually move back to 60 and using the slide dial again get the top dot set at 60; mark that point with the pencil and then find the tape which corresponds to those marks and you are set - with both dots. It sounds much more complicated than it is.

Basically the tapes are pre-gapped and labeled to correspond and match to your bow's total set up- arrow speed being only one factor. The major factor, but only one of a few factors.

11. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    I will check it all out. Thanks.

dnoodles likes this.
  12. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    so if you do buy and set up the Fast Eddie, once you do so your dots might not (probably won't) be exactly the same as mine...whereas when I have my top dot set at 25 that puts my bottom dot at 40 on the tape; yours might be 25/35 or who knows maybe 25/45 if your set up is faster.

I could also pre-set mine to 20 on the top which would put the bottom at about 35; but I usually hunt open hardwoods and/or field edges which provide more opportunities at that 30-40 range so I find it to usually be more efficient for me to be ready to shoot at those longer distances without fiddling with anything- if anything does slip up on me at less than 25 I just hold low.

13. afishhunter

afishhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heck, I have trouble seeing the .019 pins.
    Unfortunately, .029 pins (or larger) are not available for my sight.
    I found some that will fit the slots (I think) but they are at least 1/4 inch shorter than the originals, making them a "no-go".

14. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    19 pins for the first three. 10 pins for the other two. I would take a look at sword sights. I’ve owned them all, spot Hogg, MBG... sword is tough and they just work.