Beginner camera set up

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Kyle Rayburn, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So im wanting to start filming next year. Telling my stories just isn't doing it for me anymore and I want to be able to share it visually. Whats a good starter camera set up.. I cant swing anything ridiculous in price but I also want some quality. Thinking around $300-400 if thats Possible. Completely new to this so thought id ask you before I pulled the trigger on something that wouldnt do the job I needed..

Sent from my LML212VL using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

StanfillKY likes this.
  2. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was wondering the same?

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you look around you can find a few decent cams that have been refurbished for a reasonable price. Also some people are continually upgrading as well just like bows but make sure you buy from reputable folks.

Bow mounted cameras are great for second angles but for quality video I would stay away from them. You could also connect those to something other than the bow and get quality video. The new Tacticam with the remote is a good concept for this type of setup especially since it has zoom. It would give you minimal motion and a visual clue the camera is recording. Thats one option.

The Canon Vixia HFR series is with your price range and would be a decent starter cam. It doesn't have a LAN-C connection so you will have to manually operate it. Since its has a small aperture you might have issues in low light but it has a lux rating of .4 in low light mode.

Good luck and have fun with it.

justinwmoe88 and Kyle Rayburn like this.
  4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Like copperhead said, look for a refurbished camera. You have to keep in mind you will need a camera arm and fluid head as well. You may have to save up and get those items, but they are necessary. An external mic is also a great investment. You can get away with adjusting the camera manually, but it can be a pain in winter months with gloves on. Also there is normally very little room to make those adjustments in a hurry.

5. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking about getting this one. It has good reviews but obviously not from hunters. Any reasons why or why not to get it? It's like $250. Screenshot_2019-01-07-09-08-57.jpeg

6. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    Ive had a couple guys recommend this arm. They say for the price you can't beat them and the fluid head is nice and smooth. Like I said this is just a trial run before I decide to drop more on it. Screenshot_2019-01-07-14-29-33.jpeg

7. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    Nevermind on this one. Upon further research all the good reviews were all fake. Better stick to name brand.

StanfillKY likes this.
  8. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    Mother in law has a Nikon coolpix l840 she said I could have and a buddy has a cannon vixia hr500 for $100. Any input or advice would be appreciated.

9. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For self filming, nothing beats a stand or other type of mounted camera. I've tried action cams in the past and did not like the results. This is my set up. It's home made but rock solid. 20161009_174853.jpg

StanfillKY likes this.
  10. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah only reason id get an action cam is for a second angle but more focused on a camcorder right now. Thinking im gonna go with the vixia hf r800. Its cheap but seems to be decent. It mainly to show family and friends. Might throw it on youtube or something one day if I figure out editing well.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm the wrong guy to answer this question, I've got more money tied up in camera equipment than I'm willing to admit publicly. I will say however, I have been in your shoes. I started out with a little Canon handy cam and a camera arm similar to the one you listed above. It didn't take long before I outgrew that setup and invested more money in better equipment. I was satisfied with that equipment for a while, but there were still some frustrations, so I ended up jumping to a high end setup. My point is, I spent more money by trying to go cheap than I would have if I had just bit the bullet and got a better setup the first time. Just something to think about.

WillO likes this.
  12. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    Three little ones and a sole income lol trust me my mouth has been watering over some of the rigs ive seen but it just isnt practical for me at the moment. I really dont wanna go too crazy incase I don't like messing with it too. Which I'm sure wont happen but never know. I'll be able to hunt more next year than I've been able too the past few. Super excited. And I appreciate your response bud!

13. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    Also someone said the nikon my mother inlaw has would suck for self filming because you have to focus manually but when I looked it up it said it had auto focus. Like I said, new to this lol appreciate any and every response.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Any DSLR will be difficult to self film with. A camcorder has some build in benefits that make using them easier overall. Nikon has not been known for video, I think they used to put it in their cameras just because the competition did. Their Auto focus was below average compared to their competitors. That said, you don't typically want to be filming in Auto focus anyways. What model Nikon does she have?

Kyle Rayburn likes this.
  15. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    Its a nikon coolpix l840. Its not actually a dslr just looks like one. Lol

16. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly thinking my best bet would be a canon vixia hf r800..they are only $180 and I can deck it out with a mic and a couple difference lens'..ive been trying to YouTube some things to learn but seems like its just ssomething I need to jump into and find out what works for me. I know the nikon doesnt take a mic and id have to have a secondary sound recorder to hook it up to to match it up which sounds like a pain.

17. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    Gonna do a trial run with the nikon this year since its free and seems like a decent camera lol if I like it I'll invest more into it. Thanks everyone.

18. Robert Gate

Robert Gate Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm afraid that with such a thin budget, you'll have to change them soon. Canon XA11 is my recommendation, it has external mic options, remote control, manual focus for hunters.

19. Bo.

Bo. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    man...in all honesty....you can get good pictures and tell if its a buck you want to shoot or not with a camera under $100