Deer movement

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Maine Hunter, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Maine Hunter

Maine Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What type of information do you guys gather and use after the season seeing deer movement? I am staring to see where the deer are going to yard come this winter, but was curious as to if anyone is successful hunting those areas the next year or if any deer hang around the yarding areas all season.

2. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With it being mostly open and ag land here, snow and what was planted really determines where the deer herd up. That will change things year to year. With our bow season going into the first week of January, I will check areas that are more favorable for the deer to herd up and hunt it now. This morning I did some long range scouting and checked four different areas that usually are more favorable for them herding up in. 3 out of the 4 were dead. The last big snow we got really changed things. 2 weeks ago all 4 spots had quite a few deer in them.

So with all that said, no I don't plan on hunting an area next year due to what happens this winter. Trail cams and summer scouting starts the end of July. I make plans off of that for when bow season starts and continue scouting through hunting season. Early pressure or lack of it, crops maturing, crops coming off and more hunting pressure are constantly changing things since it is so open here.

Maine Hunter likes this.
  3. Riverduck11

Riverduck11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like mentioned, the food sources drive winter activity. Bedding areas can change daily depending on weather. Note what they do this winter, and next will be similar, maybe just in a different location.

I personally believe this is the best time of the year to hunt. They are very predictable and on the feet nearly all day. I saw 5 bucks, one was the biggest I have seen this season, and 3 does prior to filling my final tag of the season. In Ohio, our season goes through the first weekend in February.

TJF likes this.
  4. Bo.

Bo. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    in my area ive found that most of the time if the deer weren't pressured a lot their routine doesn't change much...