Pack/gear you carry

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by fishsoft92, Dec 27, 2018.

1. fishsoft92

fishsoft92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m looking around for a new pack to keep all my gear in. I carry a lot less with me that I used to when I bought the one I have. In that same line of thought, I figured I’d post a question of general curiosity. What all does everyone keep in their pack, and what pack do you use?

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I carry a two part pack. One part is a fanny pack that I carry my main camera and accessories in. The second is a backpack. I carry my camera arm, and base, My second camera, Range Finder, Calls, Bow Hanger, Extra pull rope, Flashlight, Headlamp, any additional clothing accessories like warmer hats or gloves, any snacks and a bottle of Mt. Dew.

The pack is a Redhead that I bought on clearance at BPS. I've bought other packs, and tried them out but so far this has been the best setup for me.

early in likes this.
  3. fishsoft92

Dislikes Received:
    I got mine from BPS, too. Can’t for the life of me remember what brand it is, but it’s one of those style with a separate fanny pack and backpack. I had them separated and was using the fanny pack for forearm season and the backpack for archery. Thanks for the reply, I’m trying to get some ideas on stuff to carry that I don’t have already.

Skywalker likes this.
  4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I carry a lot of camera equipment so I'm very minimalistic with my hunting gear. I don't even carry binoculars since I have a camera. I'm always looking for ways to cut weigh myself.

5. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have an alps outdoorz pathfinder. Usually carry a grunt call, extra rope, binoculars, rangefinder, bottle of water, small snack (depending on how long I’m going to sit), hand warmers, and usually extra socks, gloves, and a hat. The backpack can be used as a fanny pack or opened up for a full backpack. Was an inexpensive backpack that has worked great for 3 seasons now. When I’m scouting/shed hunting I pack extra clothes, a rope, snowshoes, a lunch, a thermos of coffee, and a water.

Attached Files:

dnoodles likes this.
  6. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use an old Blacks Creek fanny pack, believe it’s the Jim Horn Model. I only carry my bow hook, screw in, a strap on pack holder, head net, glove, release, pull rope and safety rope. Pretty simple. Used to carry a lot more, but found I didn’t use it or need it.
    Almost forgot my kill kit.

7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have and use the same- I rarely use it in full backpack mode but it's always there if I need it.
    Had it since 2013 and it gets used hard. I hunt a lot and travel to do so and it still keeps on kicking. I bet I have dropped that thing from 20' up over a dozen times and all the seams are still rock solid.

always:
    kill kit (including knife)
    small water bottle
    20' paracord with carabiner
    extra release
    range finder
    wind puffer
    extra safety rope (doubles as a deer drag if necessary)

optional:
    snacks
    rattling device of some sort
    grunt tube
    heavier gloves

I admit the fanny pack itself is a bit overkill if you're a minimalist; but would be awesome for tree saddle hunting...which I am leaning towards doing very hard next year.

justinwmoe88 likes this.
  8. fishsoft92

Dislikes Received:
    I was at BPS last night and I’ve found a couple I’m trying to decide between. One is the ALPS Outdoorz Dark timber and the other is the Cabelas Outfiter Bow and Rifle 2500.

9. GMCmedic

GMCmedic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    KUIU icon pro 1850 with frame. I carry my minimal hunting gear, camera gear, lock on, and climbing sticks.

If I'm not carrying a stand or camera gear then I use a badlands scout

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

10. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fanny pack with water and some food if a longer sit. Bow holder, small saw and clippers, cord to pull up bow, extra warm hat...about it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    oh yeah, also in my "always" gear: hand saw and pruning shears