Still learning

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by stephenky, Dec 29, 2018.

1. stephenky

stephenky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My son is 14 and got his first deer with bow this year but arrow stopped inside deer without hitting bone I was wondering arrow weight might be to low he at 53 BL draw and 26 draw length any suggestions would be appreciated thanks

2. trtodd13

trtodd13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What arrows does he use? I would try to increase the front of center of the arrow to increase penetration if possible. Brass inserts are the easiest way to get additional weight up front. Also a good fixed blade broadhead can help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

3. 95tigerbill

95tigerbill Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My 13 year old shot thru a large doe with draw weight around 40# but the key in my opinion is good arrow flight and sharp cut on contact broadheads. He was shooting Magnus and they worked fantastic for low draw weight.

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My money is on mechanical....if he was not using a mech and you confirm that he didn't hit bone at all then I'm stumped.
    At that weight and arrow you should be shooting a fixed blade and arrow with a 500 spine. Let us know.
    Nothing is more discouraging for a little one that whacking a deer and not getting it. ( the deer doesn't like it either )
    Good luck

dnoodles likes this.
  5. stephenky

Dislikes Received:
    He did get the deer we let her sit for two hours. The arrows he using is began whiteout. And three blade fixed I can't remember brand arrow went through both sides of her and stopped. she quarting to us when shot got one lung. But there was not much for blood and thought maybe because arrow stayed in her. His spine is 500 it arrows are light. I have started looking into the inserts. Thanks

6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    not sure on a quartering-to angle how you didn't at least hit one rib but I guess it's possible. I have done the same on a sharp quarter away; entry was just in front of the hip and up into the offside lung but not hit any bone at all and still did not have a pass thru and that was shooting 70#, 440-ish grain total arrow weight- but with a Rage 2" mechanical.

The reasons for not much blood can be many. As you already said, the arrow was still in her and partially plugged the wound, also fat could have plugged the wound, or even lung tissue.

But your boy seems to be shooting the right arrows at the right weight and while not all fixed heads are created equal at least he's using them as well.

At that weight, I would be using fixed cut on contact heads at least 1" in diameter. Best I got for you.

Congrats on your son's first kill and recovery!

7. stephenky

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you. And he went between the ribs. I think we try different head next year