bubble level on sights

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ganderss2424, Dec 18, 2018.

1. ganderss2424

ganderss2424 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all,

I think I know what most of you guys are going to say, but I thought I would ask anyway.

How many of you check your level before releasing every shot when you are at full draw?

How many of you shoot without a level on your sight?

the reason why I ask is because I used to check my level before every shot. deer in front of me or just shooting at a target always making sure my bow wasn't canting. However, my level fell off my sight over a year ago and never bothered to replace it because I can can honestly say I don't see any difference in m accuracy without it and it's just one less thing on your mind when shooting. I shoot a lot. a few times a week year round I would say. anywhere from 20-70 yds.

Anybody have any thoughts? Is it is must have for you? or something you don't worry about?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    zach1988 likes this.
  2. boilerman

boilerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have one on my bow now for several years and honestly, I can't remember when I last looked at the dang thing. It has made no difference in my shooting, but I did use it for a bit when I had installed the new sight.

early in likes this.
  3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had one on my sight from the beginning, and never use it.

foodplot19 likes this.
  4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Whether it works or not checking it is part off my release routine to calm me before a shot...I wanna think it matters

Jaberry and dnoodles like this.
  5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    that for me as well....except when I don't. :biggrin:

one thing I will say- I have a Fast Eddie XL, and I use the intersect between the single vertical pin and the top horizontal plane line of the bubble level as a sort of "pin" when shooting at extreme long distance during 3D shoots.

6. Jerry Casperson

Jerry Casperson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have always had a level. Target shooting i always use it. and once i get it level i hold it there. I think for me it helps to build that muscle memory or how my bow should feel. When hunting i look at it quick unless i have endless amount of time. then i'll take the time to look at it. Like said above to, its also good to have a routine of things to think about so you calm your self down before the shot.

Jaberry likes this.
  7. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the IQ sight and check the bubble way less often since I make a quick mental check of the dot. I do like having the level when I take a practice draw from the stand at hard angles to make sure im not torquing.

8. Skunkworkx

Skunkworkx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When first dialing in and some target shooting....but 98% of the time, not hunting....that 2% would be maybe on a longer shot 40+yds.

9. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    From what I have read, a level will make a difference. Whether you look at it or not is completely up to you. If you are shooting at less than 30 yards or less on a target it may not affect it that much, but anything passed that you may want to look at a level. Canting your bow by a few degrees may cause a couple inches in variance at further distances. Me personally, I like to look at mine. I just want everything to be consistent as I can when I shoot.

10. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started out with no bubble on my sight. When I upgraded to a mbg sight i had one and used it for a year till it broke off in the woods somewhere. Never replaced it and have shot for a few years without one.

11. Boharchery

Boharchery Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Stand on a side hill and shoot up or downhill, you will want a level. It should be in the shot routine for sure...

justinwmoe88 likes this.