Charles Post

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by davidingle, Dec 20, 2018.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I read they report any shooting in a school ZONE as a school shooting.

Honest question for Justin-

WWTGD if you started posting anti-gun diatribe all over the internet? Well, technically this is BH.com, so maybe not a fatal mistake. You are a bowhunting ambassador, not an ambassador for gun rights. Fair enough. There are a few people on this site that are decidedly anti-gun but still pro-hunting.

But then say one day you decided that bears are just too cute and cuddly to shoot and not only made that decision as a personal one; but also initiated public advocacy efforts in support thereof?

So now you publicly engage in and support 2 hot button issues that are sure to piss off a massive section of your (bh.com's) audience and more importantly MARKET. Would it not behoove Mr. Graff to publicly dis-associate his company from you or at the very least your advocacy?

I am just as tired of the constant manufactured outrage as anyone; but I am also of the opinion that to defend our sport and heritage we must point out when others clearly do not- especially when they ride trojan horses....Wearing super-ridiculously expensive camo gear that they want me to buy. I deserve to know if any of that cash is going to those causes that are opposed to my values.

FEB and davidingle like this.
  2. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    you had me until that last part. They are the worst. I literally can't watch network TV anything.

JGD likes this.
  3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ok...minus the modern day network spins. Those 3 channels with only major sporting events, some low grade drama that doesnt need to incorporate politics into their storyline, and scantily clad 80s women.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kfili and dnoodles like this.
  4. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is paraphrasing from someone else;

You pay Sitka for their clothing, Sitka pays Charles Post, Charles Post gives money to his anti-hunting buddy Blake Mycoskie who wants to take hunting rights away you.

I sort of agree but not completely because if you followed this belief you shouldn't shop really anywhere because chances are someone at that company has different views as you

dnoodles likes this.
  5. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:

fallguy.jpg

there were a couple others that I really wanted to post, but this is a PG site....They were PG-13

6. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    there's a difference in Post having those personal views and donating privately vs. doing podcasts and whatever social media campaigns.

(Assuming he still works for Sitka) Post has a fiscal responsibility to not engage in public activity which would reasonably alienate a massive segment of their customer base. If I was his boss I would fire him.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fall Guy one of the best programs ever.

dnoodles likes this.
  8. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You dont like the definition so you change it?

9. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What do you mean exactly? That I don't like his definition of a "mass shooting"? Because I don't. When people think of a mass shooting they think of dnoodles post of Aurora, Sandy Hook, Columbine, Virginia Tech, etc. not some thug that was playing gangster in Chicago. It is extremely misleading. Just like how a school shooting could be as simple as a kid getting caught shooting a bb gun in a school zone.

10. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    what, like marriage? :poke:

11. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hmm hunting grizzlies with cameras.. Give it time nature will solve that problem. :biggrin:

dnoodles likes this.
  12. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    or vote.

Sota likes this.
  13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well of course it would. But I think you're trying to draw parallels between your hypothetical situation and this Charles Post situation that I just don't see. Now maybe I'm missing some facts and if so I hope someone corrects me.

First, I have the unfortunate status of being a bit of "the face" of Bowhunting.com and Bowhunt or Die. What I say and do has a pretty substantial impact on the business and brand we've created here.

While Mr. Post clearly has a large social following I honestly had no idea who the guy was or what he did at or for Sitka until this post. Being a person relatively "in" the industry I did not consider him the face of Sitka gear or a person who speaks solely for their values and mission. For all I know and can glean from a few quick searches I'm not 100% sure he even works there as a full-time gig. I get the impression he's some sort of glorified ambassador who does creative work for them, not someone who is on the payroll. I could very well be wrong, but that's the impression I got.

Second, it is my understanding that Mr. Post made some comment on Instagram about mass shootings and the need for more gun control of some form. I'm not sure how much he went beyond that, if any. And while that's sure to piss people off, I'm not sure it's an offense so egregious that I would disassociate my business with him entirely.

I'm very unclear on what his relationship with Blake Mycoskie is aside from their affinity for not getting haircuts and wearing scarves. I couldn't find one single piece of media that included these guys together. There's no question that Charles is a hunter and he kills animals. There's also no question that Blake is an adamant anti-hunter of the lunatic fringe. In my experience, those two don't mix well together. While Charles and some other gun owners and hunters may agree with Blake's recent gun control comments (reference the Dale Jr lookalike from Florida Georgia Line) I doubt they're bosom buddies who hang out and drink IPAs together.

I have looked up and down and have never seen anything that says Mr. Post supports any of Blake's anti-hunting agenda including Shoot 'Em With A Camera. Unless I'm totally mistaken, it appears to me that people are trying to connect dots that aren't there.

Blake calls for more gun control.
    Blake also advocates for animal rights.
    Charles agrees with Blake's stance on gun control.
    This does not mean Charles also agrees with Blake's stance on animal rights.

dnoodles likes this.
  14. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dang him![​IMG]

dnoodles likes this.
  15. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:

very well said-

I may have misunderstood the directness of the ties between the two. Admittedly I'd never heard of Post before; I know who the d-bag from TOMs is because...well, he's on my d-bag radar. He put himself there otherwise I'd probably not know who he is or what TOMs is/are.

Based on the original post, I was under the impression that Post also was part of the "shoot 'em with a camera" movement which is anti-hunting.

As at least a part-time "ambassador" of the Sitka brand, it would seem at odds with their business model (being to make a profit) that their "ambassador" would not only be pretty anti-gun but also anti-hunting. Could probably get away with the first but not the second.

The point of my hypothetical was only to make the case that Sitka would be well within reason to distance themselves from both causes and any spokesperson thereof.

16. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All I wanna know is are we taking to YouTube to burn our sitka gear? I missed the boat at the yeti bonfire and don't wanna miss this one.

But in all seriousness, like the yeti situation, I find no reason to grab the torches and pitchforks because of this. Someone mentioned in a previous post for any company, if you go high enough it will likely produce someone that doesn't really agree with all the aspects of the company but sucks its up for that paycheck every week. Especially in this day and age when companies are bought and sold at the drop of a hat. Do i agree with what he is saying? No not really, but seeing as i just spent probably a grand or more the last few months on new camo I'm not throwing it all away because of it. And will most likely continue to get more. Honestly if I didn't talk to or associate with everyone that had different views than me I wouldn't talk to anyone besides my dog when I get home from work every day. And he probably doesn't agree with me on everything either but who knows. While somewhat interesting contrast if this guy is part of a hunting clothing company and has these beliefs I guess it doesn't matter to me at least.

17. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    yawn this gun debate and all of its spin offs are boring. Is yeti and DSG still in business? asking for a friend...

18. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea but nobody buys or shops there ha.

Not suprising tho I did see a article where DSG was complaining that their stance on certain firearms where to blame for low sales recently. May be a little back peddling in the future.

19. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have you read the second amendment? What if the government thinks you’re the idiot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Standardized testing plus in all honesty any idiot knows they are and idiot and the people around them as well.