2018 public land roll call!!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swamp Stalker, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so what's the post rut/late season public strategy you guys use? I know food sources are important so what does that look like?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That’s what I’m trying to figure out, I know deer are bedding on my section of game land, but they are leaving in the evening to eat. I don’t know what, or where exactly, but that’s what I’ve gathered so far. I’m concerned that they will leave this property and take shelter somewhere else as soon as rifle season starts up.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Kfili likes this.
  3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Kevin, I've been seeing all the does near grass fields prior to after dark. I'd look to cut them off in the evening. Even if those grass fields are on private land across the street from the public.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kfili and axtell343 like this.
  4. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Went out for my first sit on some huge national forest land, saw 5 total all while walking in/out though. Had some fresh snow and saw a ton of tracks on benches and in the ravines. Hardly any on ridges. gonna get back after it today.

virginiashadow likes this.
  5. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome. Arrow a good one.

Kfili likes this.
  6. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    PA the gamelands i hunt have very little food left on them... that being said I have two spots on a county park that have a ton of browse and cover that will most likely be where i will hunt. in NJ I am wanting to get as close as possible to the thick bedding areas and find some trails going to food if any of the WMAs have food left on them, if they dont i will probably throw some attractant out and see how that goes(its legal in NJ) still not a fan of doing it but im not fond of sitting in the cold and not seeing any deer lol

7. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well saw a ton of does, (all on south slope on a bench) and was able to put a few stalks on some (yes whitetails) but no shots, also put an awesome stalk on the first bear Ive ever seen while hunting with my buddy who had a small window, and missed. It was the best hunt ive been on that didnt yield an animal. Cant wait to get back but time is running out! hope I can get back out gain before the end of season

8. Nick Lewandowski

Nick Lewandowski Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Seems this season is going to continue to be a grind for me in MD. All the rain we've had has made it tough for hunting in the mountains. Just wondering if anyone has any advice? I uploaded three pictures of three bucks that have come in on my spot. Unfortunately there was not a single day time photo. I'm thinking maybe walk in about another mile further into the public land I'm hunting. As that's the only thing I can come up with right now. Where I'm hunting also has a lot of mountain laurel and also a mountain stream that flows down through it. Any ideas or suggestions would truly be appreciated.

Attached Files:

9. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm planning some public hunts when our late season opens Dec 26th, and runs until Jan 26th. At this point, I'll be happy with a doe. It ain't over yet. :tu:

10. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Got out and pulled a cam this morning after working all night. Deep. 2 months the cam was out there...not a single hunter was captured on cam over 2 months and deer were on it every single day. Only hunted this spot once bc I tagged out buck wise on base by Oct 28.

Seems like a good spot. Didnt catch any monsters but had dozens of bucks and some decent ones.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love it...good luck brother!!

virginiashadow likes this.
  12. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    most of the Central MI public land areas I have been hunting since 2006 were tagged for logging last fall, and then just before gun season the DNR re-surveyed all the property lines in the area. I have a feeling I will see the same thing when I go up to shed hunt this spring. Good news is there is still a lot of public land in the general area to explore, but it will be all new ground to us and also will concentrate a lot of hunting pressure that was previously spread out over the better part of 2 counties.