Trad bowhunting hogs

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by darrin, Dec 13, 2018.

1. darrin

darrin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 45 lb samick journey recurve. it's the samick sage, but slightly longer limbs, instead of 62 inches it's 64 inches long. Anyway I've started getting a desire to bow hunt pigs. Is my 45 lb recurve heavy enough weight or should I look into something heavier? I'd be 400 grain easton st axis arrows with 125 grain broadhead. Not sure what brand or model, but I'm leaning toward simmons shark based on what I'm seeing on youtube. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not much help for you. I've never hunted pigs so no actual hands on experience there. Not familiar with your broadheads either. .400 carbons sound a little stiff for 45# but if they shoot well for you that's the important thing. I've used Zwickey broadheads for over 40 years and have been very happy with them. I think if you stay with high percentage shots you should do fine. Also, study-up on hog vital areas on where to shoot and where not to hit them.. Best of luck.

Chris

3. ahunter55

ahunter55 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've managed several. I currently have a 50# Longbow & son has a 45# 62" Sage. No worries on a hog as it still boils down to shot placement. We use a 2216 Aluminum shaft & 125 gr 3 blade fixed heads so our arrows are over 500 grns total . We believe the heavy weight is best on hogs & prefer 3 blade for everything. I took my 1st in 1965 with a 55# & 3 blade head. Good Luck.

Attached Files:

w33kender and Blarney22 like this.