Torn Shoulder Labrum - tell me your experience

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Pasty_Man_Thighs, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Pasty_Man_Thighs

Pasty_Man_Thighs Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Long Story:

So two weeks before Minnesota bow opener (September) I was shooting my bow at the local range. Had flung probably a good 75+ arrows (too many for sure, but I was getting cocky at 60 yards). Pulled my bow back and felt a pop. Felt exactly the same as the two other times I dislocated my shoulder. Did the whole ice and rest and ibuprofen thing for about two weeks. Still had a ton of pain. Went into the doctor and they did a contrast MRI. Diagnosed with a 12 to 6 Bankart tear in the labrum in my draw shoulder. Saw an Orthopedic and he referred me to a PT that specializes in shoulder injuries. Ortho said to see the PT for roughly two months to see how things progress and then circle back and decide if surgery is necessary.

I've been going to PT and doing all the exercises that she has prescribed (my wife is also a PT but does absolutely nothing with the upper body and has been my drill sergeant). Day to day stuff doesn't bother my shoulder anymore but anything reaching overhead sucks. My arm is weak and painful when reaching. My PT says that my range of motion and strength is progressing ahead of where she thought it would at this point for most motions. She also thinks I'll have no issues getting back to shooting my bow. Problem is, when I do any motion that remotely resembles pulling a bow back or reaching overhead it hurts just as bad as day one. My wife thinks I should push for surgery and just get it done and over with since a Labral tear really never heals fully. I'm really feeling the same way too. I'm really questioning how many people my PT has dealt with who are 30, very active outdoors, and as heavily invested in archery as I am.

My question is, have any of you ever gone through this and what was your course of rehab and would you do anything different. I have another PT appointment next week and plan on asking. But I figured I'd ask here too and see what the collective Interwebz Doctors have to say.

TLDR: Idiot tore labrum in shoulder. Should I push for surgery and subsequent physical therapy or keep working through physical therapy and stop questioning my PT?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. ganderss2424

ganderss2424 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I tore my right labrum lifting weights. Went in for surgery and Had it scoped then tore it again Wakeboarding a couple years later. I would go the PT route as long as possible and avoid surgery. I have not had a 2nd surgery. Luckily I’m LH when it comes to bow hunting. I shoot 66lbs without any issues. I just decided to give up a few of my hobbies and take life a little slower and easier as I get older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pasty_Man_Thighs likes this.
  3. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am a PT and currently have a torn labrum and a separated shoulder (AC joint) in my draw arm shoulder. There is no easy answer. There are plenty of people out there living with labral tears. I bet most don't even know they have them. Some people can live with it, but it depends on the amount of stabilization in the joint with PT stabilization exercises to strengthen your rotator cuff and scapular muscles. I personally focus on the drawing motion. I get on a cable column which is a stack of weights with a pulley system and get a handle about bow height and simulate drawing a bow going real light and then gradually increasing weight. I also focus on the stabilization aspect not doing reps but long hold times.
    Ultimately though you should talk with the surgeon and get very realistic expectations of whatever procedure they recommend.

Pasty_Man_Thighs and cantexian like this.
  4. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Brother, I had surgery on both shoulders. Torn labrum, AC joints, arthritic bones removed, slap tears, you name I have had it! The number 1 thing is to listen to the Doctor, the PT`s and don't over do it. In my experience, the more you do before surgery, the more you are doing damage to the shoulder. Just my opinion, but again, I've been down the road once or twice!! Best of luck to you!!

5. mddave

mddave Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    tore my labrum playin softball....got the surgery with no PT before surgery. 6 weeks of PT after surgery and I have absolutely no pain to this day from it.. that was 4 years ago. I couldn't shoot my bow without pain, that's when I knew I had to have something done, lol. Tip though, if its your dominant hand side. learn to do things with your other hand before surgery. try wiping your hind end with your oppo hand once.. not as easy as ya think!!!

Pasty_Man_Thighs and dnoodles like this.
  6. Pichy

Pichy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Years ago, I hurt my shoulder while shooting at a buck. I was twisted weirdly and squatting under a limb trying to find an opening...not the usual way to shoot. I did PT and got it back to where I could draw 70 lbs again. But over the following six months, not doing PT anymore, the pain crept back in. I had an MRI and they discovered bone spurs, torn labrum, torn tendon, and I had only 50% of the joint space that I should have (impingement). I was told it would never improve on its own. I elected to have the surgery. I timed it so that I would be ready for bow season. Surgery was in January, and recovery took nearly a year. Blood flow to the shoulder joints is limited, and healing takes a long time. I was able to shoot my new bow (65 lbs) by October, but was not 100% until December. Take my word for it- it is a long, painful process. My shoulder today, four years later, is still better than ever. I would do it all again if I had the same situation. If you do have surgery, get yourself a comfortable reclining chair to sleep in. You won't be able to lay back flat, because it torques the shoulder joint. And as mddave said, teach your other hand how to do stuff. You'll have no use of the damaged arm for a while. Good luck whatever you do.

7. Benny_Bucks

Benny_Bucks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve gone through 3 labrum surgeries. Each one was worse than the other in terms of how many anchors I got put in. Really, the recovery isn’t terrible for labrum surgeries. 6 months and you are fully released from PT. If you stick with the PT and follow the rules you’ll have no problem getting back to shooting a 70lb compound bow. Each of my surgeries I was out of my sling in 2 weeks (clearly not doctor prescribed it just literally didn’t hurt at all)

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

8. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I currently have a partially torn left labrum. I'm sure I did it in the gym from years of lifting heavy and beating myself up. I have not been doing PT. The surgeon just said to take it easy in the gym. It is not my draw shoulder thankfully. I have a dull ache all of the time in this shoulder and have definately lost strength. Certain movements still hurt bad, while others do not.
    The orthopedist said that surgery should be my last resort.

9. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a torn rotator cuff that I just got done with. I'm right handed and that was the side with the tear (complete). Figures. I learned quickly how tough it is wiping with the left hand!! :lol:

Western MA Hunter likes this.