Thoughts on Mathews Focus and Flatback grips

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by WildernessPhantom, Dec 9, 2018.

1. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello all,

I shoot a switchback xt. I recently saw on Mathews website that they offer the focus or flatback grips for their bows. They look similar to the new bow grips. I was curious if anyone has used them or replaced an old grip with one and if it made a difference. Thanks and God bless.

2. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a focus grip on my Monster and after shooting a PSE for decades, it took some getting use to but actually prefer it now for the comfort. The grip actually tailors your hand so you don't grip your bow too tight causing unnecessary torque.

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I personally preferred the Flatback grip over the Focus. It just felt more comfortable in my hand. Either one is a huge improvement over that giant hunk of wood that came with the Switchback. Although I'm not 100% sure that those grips will fit your bow. I believe they will, but don't hold me to anything.

There are a few aftermarket grip suppliers out there that make great products as well. Check out Swrewd, Torqueless and Rattler Grips. All very good options.

StanfillKY likes this.
  4. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer the focus grip to the Flatback. It really is personal preference, but I like the thinner feel of the focus.

SCFox

5. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For some reason it really took me a minute to get used to the flatback. Had a focus on another older bow and never had any issues. They will fit your bow. But like Justin said I would look into torqueless grips. They’re awesome! Ordering one soon. Cousin had one on his 32 and I shot his bow with tighter groups then I could mine at the time. Medium grip is what most people go with. That’s the grip closest to standard Mathews grips. The low grip is like shooting off the riser if you like that.

Mathews Halon
    Black Eagle outlaws
    Magnus Buzzcut 4 blades
    Nasty combo

6. ThrustWasher

ThrustWasher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The focus allows you to get higher into the throat of the grip as its a lot more thinner than the flatback, I had the flatback on my Halon 32 and hated everything about it!

WV Jess likes this.
  7. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the replies. I’ll have to check them out and see. I have a big hand so I never thought I’d prefer a smaller grip. I do notice though at times I’m having to adjust based on my sight level. I was curious if the torque less grip would help. I hope everyone has a merry Christmas filled with love and laughs. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk