First Muzzleloader

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by kjstaudt86, Dec 12, 2018.

1. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know this is a Bow hunting site, but I just decided to pull the trigger on a CVA optima V2 with the Konus pro scope. My muzzleloader season in Texas starts after our regular season ends on January 6th. I've had a horrible season so it only gives me another opportunity to fill my tags. Anyone else hunt with a ML and if so any pointers? This is my first one to ever own.

StanfillKY likes this.
  2. StanfillKY

StanfillKY Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure you clean it well after shooting. There are places that can stop up and prevent it from firing. This is a terrible thing to find out when you are in the field with a deer in front of you. I have a buddy that can vouch for this lol.

3. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do not use Pyrodex powder IN ANY form. It is messy. Next, don't use loose powder. Pellets are the only way to go for a beginner (and most seasoned ML shooters too). Buckhorn 209 seems to be the rage for pellets these days. Note: you will need a new breach plug to shoot this. The factory plug will not properly ignite the pellets.

Personally, I use Triple 7 pellets. 2 pellets (50 grains each) is sufficient to shot out to 150ish yards. After that, you will need to use more. Hodgdon, the maker of Triple 7, recommends no more than 2 pellets even thought the muzzle loader manufactures say you can use 3 (150 grains). I know plenty of people who do shoot 3 pellets.

Sabots: Thompson makes good ones. 200 or 250 grains depending on your shoot distance etc.

Cleaning: I somewhat disagree with Stanfill. The main reason being that the first shot after cleaning is usually a flier as compared to a fouled bore. You would be unable to fully clean the ML in the field before taking a follow up shot. A good compromise is to leave the barrel slightly fouled. You would pull the breach plug and run a brass brush through the bore. And call it "clean". The important part is to ensure that the flash hole in the breech plug is cleaned out. They make a tool for that.

Make sure that you clean the exterior of the barrel. All black powders will cause issues with the blue/black/stainless of the barrel if left for long periods. You could opt for the nitride barrel as that coating helps resist the corrosiveness of black powder better than anything else on the market now.

kjstaudt86 and WillO like this.
  4. JeffC

JeffC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1st thing after buying gun, clean barrel of packing oil, get to range, fire off at least 2 caps before loading, and do this every time you clean gun before loading . Do not leave load in gun at end of season. Check with your local regs, our state allows leaving load in gun and just removing cap to be considered safe to put in case and travel in truck, personally I never leave gun loaded, too easy to remove breach plug and empty. Enjoy, black powder hunting is the only gun hunting I do any more.

kjstaudt86 likes this.
  5. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting posts, im looking into buying a ML also

6. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We forgot one major thing, grease that breech plug!! And grease it well. The "tool" less plug is a long winded thing.

Sent from my RS501 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

7. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to use the IMR white hots for my charges. I Also bought the soft range deluxe kit that CVA makes. I understand cleaning is a big issue with these guns, so I wanted a package that pretty much ensured I would have everything I need. I appreciate the advice though! When I get it, we will see how it goes!

8. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    What is the purpose of firing off a couple of the caps ?

9. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    From what I can gather its to burn off any remaining oil or powder residue?

10. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, you want to blow/dry out any residue that may obstruct sparks from getting to your powder.

11. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have an Optima as well, I like it for my needs. Haven't used it for a couple of years but its a shooter. After you shoot it don't let it sit to long before cleaning it. Its amazing what that black powder will. I have a "stainless" version and it makes no difference. You don't need to get to it the same day or anything but don't let it sit for 3 weeks either.

kjstaudt86 likes this.
  12. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the CVA wolf and love it. Like others said need to keep it clean. I shoot mine a couple of times before I use it for the year and then clean it after the season. So about 3 weeks. When you sight it in you might have to run a bore brush through it every 5-10 shots or so because it will get harder to load the more residue is built up. I like the power belt bullets. They load easy and are accurate. I’ve used white hots and triple 7 pellets. Both work good. I know white hits you can stack 3 high for 150 grains. I use triple 7 because they make 30 gr. Powder. So I shoot 80 grain so my son and I can shoot the same load. Also has mentioned use breach plug grease. You also want to break it loose after several shots otherwise residue gets in threads. I’ve had to use a pair of channel locks to get it loose if I wait to long. CVA also has a cleaning kit with bore blaster and a little container with a parts tray for the firing pin parts etc to soak in. Besides the cleaning part my ML is probably one of my favorite guns to shoot. Hope you enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Triple 7 also makes a 60 grain pellet. They say that is their magnum load.

Years ago I was told of something to do that would help in preventing corrosive action on the barrel. Wax it. (I know many people like to oil the barrel). The person who told me this showed me their 10 year old ML. Not a speck of corrosion.

I have been using Flitz for 4 years and have no sign of corrosion. I was told any wax that contains carnuba wax would be good to use.

As far as firing a couple primers before loading, I think that is a hold over from the traditional flintlock days. I no longer oil the ML bore so I don't snap caps before shooting. I have found that no matter how your put your ML to sleep, your first shot out of a clean bore will be something of a flier. I found that snapping a couple caps did not change that by very much. This is based on what I use and what I do to clean my ML. Your mileage may vary.

One last point to a new ML shooter, follow through on the shot. 99% of the time, you will not see the reaction of the target animal. You have to resist the urge to look up quickly. Peeking would be like dropping your bow arm at the shot.

OP, have fun with the thing. They are fun to shoot.

Blarney22 likes this.
  14. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys and I will definitely keep you all posted once ML season gets here. I am obviously hoping to still tag a buck with my bow until then, but would be a huge bonus if I can at least score an animal my first year with a ML. Crossing my fingers that something can happen for me before the 2018 season comes to an end!

15. JeffC

JeffC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    picman your probably right about old habits, was taught to snap a cap before loading when I used to shoot my percussion with powder loads, still oil my in-line after cleaning, so I always hear my dads voice, " snap a cap and you won't have a hang fire", never have so I keep doing it. kjstaut86 after shooting your gun and finding the right load your gun likes, load and mark your ram rod, that way you always know you have fully seated pellet/ bullet load. Practice a mental check list, there have been rods left in guns while trying to get a follow up shot on a deer.

Blarney22 and kjstaudt86 like this.
  16. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I first got my CVA I watched a video on you tube from CVA and they still recommend firing a couple primers after cleaning. I’m going to keep doing it just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would also recommend getting an aftermarket ram rod for loading at the range, your truck, etc. Using the one on the ML works but I prefer to use it only if I have to for a follow up shot in the field. Aftermarket rod has a big handle and is generally more stout.

18. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great suggestion with aftermarket ramrod. I have seen guys that I flintlock Hunt with snap their ramrod while in the heat of the moment trying to reload for a second shot. That sucks!! I actually got an aluminum one to replace the wood one that came with the gun before I ever used it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

19. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The ram rods on current CVA's are metal and you can get a "palm saver" attachment. It's not too bad on the hand.