Best handheld tension release??

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by DaltonGang, Dec 10, 2018.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am fighting a bit of anxiety when the shot comes. Been thinking of making the switch from a wrist release to a handheld. Kinda want to stay away from a hinge style.
    Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

2. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It helped me with target panic for sure. I have a Scott sigma. Wish I woulda got a carter chocolate...my sigma is good and everything just shot a chocolate and think I like it better.

Mathews Halon
    Black Eagle outlaws
    Magnus Buzzcut 4 blades
    Nasty combo

DaltonGang likes this.
  3. kurtzgreg1561

kurtzgreg1561 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Target panic is purely a mental issue. Pull your bow back and aim but don't shoot. When you can't hold steady on target let down and repeat this for 2 weeks/daily NOT shooting a single arrow! Focus solely on aiming. After 2 weeks SLOWLY work in a few shots focusing on squeezing the trigger. Hold the pin on the target for 10-12 seconds before starting your shot execution. Get used to a surprise release and just keep aiming and squeeze, pulling thru the shot. The pin should remain on target til arrow hits (don't peek).

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

DaltonGang likes this.
  4. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I train with the Stan Element (resistance), then moved to a Stan SX3 (thumb) for hunting with no problem. However, Stan offers a PerfeX release aid in both styles with matched geometry.

Also, John Dudley’s Silverback (resistance) and Knock 2 It (thumb), both by Carter, are designed with very similar geometry to each other to help going between each style. He also has a hinge in that family.

I doubt you can go wrong with either brand, just consider if you will be transitioning to other styles. If I had to do it again, I’d probably go with the Stan Perfex because Dudley’s tend to sale out quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaltonGang likes this.
  5. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    I also shot with my eyes closed from a few feet I’d get it on the target then close my eyes and train myself to squeeze the trigger. I’ve shot archery from tournaments to hunting since I was 8 years old. Two years ago it started out of the blue for the first time ever. Had it nipped in the bud within a month. I have to say a thumb release definitely helped me though as far as being surprised with the shot.

Mathews Halon
    Black Eagle outlaws
    Magnus Buzzcut 4 blades
    Nasty combo

DaltonGang likes this.
  6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stan has a nice feature that you can lock the release from being fired. You lock it on the string, load it and then practice shot follow through without the bow actually firing. You hear the release click let down then repeat. Just don't let go of the release. I say this because I have seen a fair share of people let it go. That helped me a lot.

Good luck.

DaltonGang likes this.
  7. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    I was wondering if any were made with a “safety” or not for hunting reasons when leaving it hanging on the loop. I’m waiting for the day mine clicks and falls 20 feet to the ground. Always keep a spare in my pack but still ha.

Mathews Halon
    Black Eagle outlaws
    Magnus Buzzcut 4 blades
    Nasty combo

DaltonGang and copperhead like this.
  8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    For anyone reading this make sure you understand the difference between the various types of hand-held release aids. They may all look similar but they work in vastly different ways. The title of the thread may be a bit misleading as a "handheld tension" release, to me anyway, generally indicates either a hinge or a resistance release.

As others have noted, a handheld release is NOT a cure for target panic or shot anxiety. That is purely a mental thing and there's a lot of great resources on drills you can practice to help overcome that. If you switch release types without addressing the mental aspects that are causing the target panic nothing is going to change.

Type 1 - Thumb Trigger

These operate much like a standard wrist-strap style release in that you pull the trigger and the release jaws open, thus firing the arrow. Generally speaking, these releases are more difficult to "punch" and can help with some target panic issues. But they are NOT impossible to punch or flinch when you shoot them. Most people activate these releases by moving their thumb to engage the trigger, which is subject to the same problems as a hand-held release. If your brain is yelling at you to shoot, even if you're not ready, your thumb is going to shoot. It seems to me a lot of guys switch to this style release thinking it's going to cure their target panic instead of focusing on the mental part of their shooting which is infinitely more important. It may mask some of it, but it will not eliminate it.

This is the most popular style of hand-held release for hunting as it allows for full control over the shot which most people want to have. They want the arrow to go off when they tell it to. However more and more people are realizing the benefits of the other two types of handheld releases for hunting as it forces them to be more disciplined in their shot process. More discipline = better shots = more dead animals.

Examples of a thumb trigger release would be the Stan Perfx (thumb), Carter 1st Choice, Truball Fang, Hot Shot Tempest and Scott Sigma

Type 2 - Hinge Style, most commonly referred to as "Back Tension"

A hinge or "back tension" release does not have a trigger and thus cannot be activated by punching the trigger or flinching at the shot. They use rotational force to activate them as you "pull through" the shot. These are a much greater step towards helping to eliminate target panic but as many people have found out you can "cheat" a hinge style release by rotating your hand and making the release fire. This is why a lot of people have a hard time learning to use these and often fire them during the draw cycle. They can and will go off if you rotate too much. So it's not exempt from target panic issues if they're bad enough. Historically speaking these are the releases most people are referring to when they talk about "back tension".

Examples of a Hinge-style release would be the Stan MoreX, Carter Total Control, Truball Fulkrum and Scott Longhorn

Type 3 - Resistance Release

This release type is gaining in popularity in the last few years, and for good reason. A resistance release can only be activated by pulling through the shot and increasing the pulling weight you put on it. That means it's nearly impossible to "cheat" the release and make it go off when your brain is screaming "shoot!". These releases have a mechanism that locks the jaw shut during your draw process. Once you reach full draw you disengage the lock and once you settle your pin you begin to pull through the shot until the release fires. The importance of the lock is that the release is calibrated to go off at a specific pull weight, which is much less than what you experience during the draw cycle. For example, a 70 lb bow will have 70 lbs of weight put on it as you pull the string back. Once the bow is at full draw, assuming 80% let-off, you'll be holding 14 lbs. Your resistance release will be calibrated to fire at some number a few pounds above that - let's say 17 lbs. So as you pull back through the wall of the bow the pressure builds up until the release goes off. It's a surprise release every time.

Examples of a Resistance release would be the Stan PerfX (resistance) and Carter Evolution. There aren't many releases in this category yet, but I would expect to see a lot more in the next couple years as people realize their value.

Type 4 - Hybrid Release

Some people like to practice and shoot targets with a hinge or resistance release but change to a thumb-trigger for hunting purposes. The issue with this has always been every release feels a little different and holds a little different so there's never been a good way to effortlessly switch between the two without adjusting your anchor point and your sight. Stan partially solved this with the PerfX releases in that they make both a Thumb-trigger and a Resistance release with the exact same geometry so they feel, hold and shoot identical to one another. The problem here is that you need to buy two releases, and these things aren't cheap.

To solve this issue we're starting to see some hybrid releases that can be converted from thumb-trigger to back-tension (hinge) by installing or removing some set screws in the release. These are pretty awesome releases as they allow you to experience both styles of shooting in a single package and switch effortlessly between them. No need to own two releases so now you can practice and compete in target archery using the hinge and then switch to the thumb trigger for more control in hunting situations.

The only two I know of right now are the Cobra Switch and the Truball GOAT. I have no experience with the GOAT but I do have a Switch and like it a lot. I'm in the process of learning to shoot the back-tension/hinge mode and hope to shoot that for almost all of my shooting going forward.

Just be forewarned - switching to a hinge or resistance release is a LOT of work and it takes TIME and PRACTICE. You don't just pick up your bow and get after it. You're typically practicing on a large string loop and figuring out how to draw, aim and pull through the shot to active the release long before you actually shoot your bow with it. My advice would be to find someone who knows what they are doing and how to shoot these types of releases and have them coach you through it. It will pay off in the long run and save you a lot of stress. Pulling back a hinge release, having it go off mid-draw and punching yourself in the face isn't a fun experience. Don't ask how I know. :)

RCW3D, copperhead and DaltonGang like this.
  9. ThrustWasher

ThrustWasher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Try a resistance release like the nock 2 it silverback or carter evolution, A few guys I know who had target panic went to them and it went away!

DaltonGang likes this.
  10. 1darkstr

1darkstr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Dudley Silverback is what I just switched to. My wrist strap was not giving me that element of surprise. I recommend the Dudley shot trainer to go with. I look like a fool walking around my house with my shot trainer practicing the Silverback, wife and kids are like Dad what the heck are you doing. I replied sorry my addiction to archery thing again. Lol
    Downfalls are they can get cold in the winter stand and you can’t keep it clipped on the D loop. I always carry a spare wrist strap just in case I drop it. My shots have improved, definitely. I do find if I don’t shoot for a week or so it takes some warm up to feel the back wall and all. I find the blind bale shots at like 10-15y help get back the “feel” again. Only few of those shots and its back on track.
    Btw Dudley’s school of knock is a highly recommended program, look it up on the “tube”.
    I do have one 33y whitetail kill with this release this year. With perfect pass thru on the heart.
    I received the release just before Xmas when they came back in stock.

@ 50y target[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaltonGang likes this.
  11. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Silverback. Dedicate at least six months to it. It will point out all sorts of problems. You will likely shoot worse until you start fixing what’s ailing you. It’s frustrating at times, but has a lot to offer if you can figure out what flaws it is showing you

For expample: sometimes I have trouble getting it to fire, usually after I’ve been shooting for a bit. That usually indicates my bow arm shoulder is creeping up. Firing as soon as I let off the safety: pulling to hard in to the back wall. Left/right misses=anchor issues.

DaltonGang likes this.
  12. ThrustWasher

ThrustWasher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My favorite thumb release is the Stan SX3 and my favorite hinge is the Stan JetBlack! I also have a nock 2 it silverback and use it to practice for shooting my hinge!

DaltonGang likes this.
  13. K.Taylor

K.Taylor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    mhouck06 and DaltonGang like this.
  14. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I practice with the tru-ball sweet spot back tension release. I like that because it has a safety on it. For all other situations I have been using the tru-ball blade thumb release. I shot the carter chocolate for years but really fell in love with the tru-ball releases. To be honest, if you are thinking you have target panic and are willing to buy a new release I would go with back tension or a resistance release. IMO those are the only releases that can solve a target panic problem. A thumb style release can be punched just like a wrist release can. If you do switch to back tension, try to find someone that can coach you and make sure your form is correct. It will be worth it.

15. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Justin, can you let the bow down without firing an arrow with a Resistance Release? From your description it sounds like once you are at full draw it arms the release because of the let off. Made me wonder what would happen if you let down the bow without shooting since you would essentially be loading up to 70 lbs again when letting the bow down. Love this post by the way, your really did a nice job of braking down the different style releases.

16. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, you just have to hold the safety when you let down. The same way you hold it when you draw back.

Blarney22 likes this.