Problem with Stretching?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by TheFitHunter, Dec 4, 2018.

1. TheFitHunter

TheFitHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello all,
    I have been shooting a Bowtech Realm since last winter and love it. However, I began realizing lately that at further distances I was shooting low, and upon going to my local pro shop I realized that my bow, which was originally set to 70lb draw while shooting 475 grain arrows at around 265 fps, was currently drawing 65lbs and shooting 250fps. I was very surprised with such a large drop in performance in only 11 months with the bow. The individual helping me out turned my strings and got the bow up to a 69lb draw shooting 260 fps. However I am still skeptical of the current strings on the bow. Should I go back every so often to test it out, and are their other strings I can get where I will not need to worry about this problem? Thoughts? Thank you in advance.

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting.
    I have had my Realm since late this summer and have not had this issue...yet.
    One thing is your original speed sounds a little slow- I was shooting 254 FPS with 600 gr Pile Drivers. I went to 500gr RIPs. I have not chronographed it since the switch but I know I am -much- faster than mid 250s; I would guess I am closer to 275. Seems you should have been and still be faster than that with lighter arrows at the same DW. Or my pro shop's chrono is hot. That's a possibility.

This is my first Bowtech so I am not experienced with their factory strings. Being a sponsor on this site; you might be steered towards ABB and I'm sure they are good strings. My local shop does custom strings and they actually do a really good job. Very little if any creep on the one they made for my Mathews.

3. TheFitHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Would it be possible that my bow simply has weak limbs, or maybe some other problem? I doubt this is not really a problem considering it has blown through 2 deer so far this season with NAP doublecrosses, however after being a college student with limited cash flow and making the decision to drop serious cash on a brand new bow I want everything to be perfect, however I am not sure who I can reach out to about this.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The stock strings that came on the bow are not top shelf quality and they do wear out. You are due for new strings and cables buck up and get quality ones.

5. TheFitHunter

Dislikes Received:
    In your opinion, will the new strings/cables fix this problem for a longer duration of time then stock ones? Either way I understand I need new strings, I planned on replacing them this summer before the start of next season. I have been looking into ABB, what can I expect from a custom, higher quality manufacturer in terms of performance.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Less strech over time less peep rotation more consistency do yourself a favor now and get the new strings and cables now. I use vapor trail they are quality but they are a Minnesota company and I shop locally.

TheFitHunter likes this.
  7. TheFitHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for your input.

8. TheFitHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is your Realm set on comfort or Performance?

dnoodles likes this.
  9. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    good point- performance

10. TheFitHunter

Dislikes Received:
    That would explain it, mine is set on comfort.

dnoodles likes this.
  11. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    BTs have a history of delamination of limbs; but as far as weakening I've never heard that. Check the limb edges to be sure they are in good shape. They claim the delam issue has been fixed on the Reigns and Realms.

12. TheFitHunter

Dislikes Received:
    What exactly does that mean, "delamination of limbs"?

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Oh you will know when it happens.

14. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Image1544025559.433929.jpg This is delamination on my bowtech btx. Opened my case one day and found them like this. Bowtech replaced the limbs I am still shooting the bow with no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

15. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The factory bowtech bowstrings are known to stretch. If you've gotten a year out of them you didn't do too bad. There are a number of great custom bow string companies out there that can get you setup with a quality set of threads.

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bowtech is not the only company that puts cheaper string on their bows, just wanted to clarify that.

17. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Couple of points.

Factory strings have come a long way the last 5 years or so. Used to be pretty much any new mathews or hoyt needed a new set right from the box. Lately that has somewhat changed. For the most part factory strings are service able. I generally have a set of new strings and cables ordered as soon as buy a new bow regardless of what the take off set is like. I like to know I am starting on a soild foundation.

The OP obviously doesnt have a serviceable set, you shouldnt get stretch like that from a properly built set.
    Forget thinking it's a bow, limb ect ect problem as the odds of that being the case are slim.

Order a new set from a realiable string builder and install them. At that point tune the bow and you will be fine going foward.

18. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    FWIW my 2013 Mission has the "zebra" strings and while it hasn't been my primary bow since 2016 I have shot tens of thousands of arrows out of it and the string is in perfect shape with no twist since maybe a couple months after I bought it. The string on my 2012 Mathews z7x was crap and never stopped twisting until it went into the garbage.