One Buck, Shot By Two Hunters, Who Gets the Deer?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Bowhunting.com Staff

Bowhunting.com Staff Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  2. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wonder how he "heard the shot" being a hundred yards away with a bow.

Shane0709 likes this.
  3. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a guy get mad when I didn't finish off his gut shot 4 point that walked under my stand. I told him where it was hit, pointed him in the direction the deer headed, and offered to help him search the next morning (because it had crossed over to my private property). He looked around for about 30 mins and left empty handed...

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The author is a lot nicer than I would be...maybe I'd let him have the deer, but his dishonesty and outright lying would make it impossible for me to have any kind of relationship with him in the future.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kfili, Halonhunter and airenlow like this.
  5. Halonhunter

Halonhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its no different than finishing off a wounded deer. Ive shot a few gut shot and hamstrung deer. Whose to say there wasnt a hunter waiting for the deer to expire? If I fell it, it is mine. I don't care if it only has 1 working leg, if it shambles over to me and I take the time to throw an arrow in it, its getting a ride in my pickup. I expect the same treatment back.

I think you did the right thing. But you should have shown him the blood trail. Horrible move taking his picture. Once you give up go get your gear and go your own way. You owe him nothing.

I did one time though, have a guys Doe bloodtrail cross my second good buck blood trail. I didn't even see him until I saw white belly just before approaching the buck. Scared the nuts off me. I asked him what was up and I knew he was going to be a **** about it. Funny enough he look at the antlers on my deer from where we were standing and asked if I need help and then asked if I could help him with his. Which we ended up jumping up while we were talking. Long story short. I got back to my truck and the hunter came out all in his feelings about losing blood. He left empty. I went to the same stand that evening because I lost my release found the Doe about 10 yards from where I shot the buck. I found his arrow. A bunch of litter he left also. I kept the Doe

Shane0709 and JGD dislike this.
  6. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I definitely didn't like the dishonesty and attitude displayed by the younger hunter but if he had mad an issue of it he might have lost his spot. And who knows, maybe the granddaughter will end up breaking up with this guy anyway.

dnoodles likes this.
  7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion, the only reason the second guy got a shot was because the first guy shot the deer. We all know deer that are mortally wounded can run a fair distance before the they expire. That buck is the first hunters buck, especially if there was a good blood trail and the arrow was recovered in the buck proving it was a lethal hit. I might relinquish the buck to the second hunter out of respect for the land owner's family, but there's no F'n way I'd take his picture with that buck or help him in any way.

dnoodles and Shane0709 like this.
  8. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yea definitely shoulda been the first hunters deer, since the arrow was still in it showing it was a lethal hit, ESPECIALLY since the kid claimed he hit 3 times and there were only the 2 holes in it. gimme a break- this kid didnt have a clue what he was doing. I understand the logic behind not being able to lose permission on the spot but thats a tough one

9. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Nah nah nah.
    There’s a fine line here. If a deer is living a healthy, or somewhat healthy life after a shot, then that is one thing. My brother killed a buck with a healed over arrow in his back from a ways back. That’s his deer. That deer had recovered and was in a bean field munching away like he never had a single injury. Thee was no blood before my brother. That is his deer. In the case of this article, that is different. There was a blood trail, a fatal shot, etc. So yes, it’s very different than finishing off a wounded deer. It may not be apparent as to the severity of a bucks injury immediately following the shot or leading up to it, but after seeing the other blood trail and the previous shot when the deer is recovered, I have no idea as to how there could be any type of argument other than give it to the first guy.

That is the first guys deer and to think otherwise is BEYOND me. I am usually not a hard and fast opinion type of guy, but on this I am. There really is no other acceptable side. That is extremely simple and should be one of those things that applies uniformly as part of bow hunting edicate. By no means is that the 2nd guys deer because he “fell it”. Are you serious?

JGD likes this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    People will do crazy stupid stuff because of antlers.

Okiebob likes this.
  11. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My family and my ancestors have always done by whoever in the party first shot it. Gets the front half and the last one to shoot it gets the back half. If you shot it and another guy from a different party shoots it last. He gets the whole deer.

12. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The writer handled this as well as one could.

13. Aces11

Aces11 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks. I would t even want to claim a deer someone else just shot, especially a lethal shot.

w33kender likes this.
  14. FingerMike

FingerMike Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A buddy of mine has a nice 11 point on his wall he took the second shot on. A guy shot at it from a ridiculous distance and hit the deer in the guts. Buck ran on my buddies property he went it and found it bedded down and put the kill shot on it. The guy I guess was incredible pissed off but my buddy got on him for the unethical shot he took and shot the door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I texted my nephew and asked ...did you get it after I heard the bow from well over hundred yards. On quiet nights with little wind it's amazing how loud things are.

16. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had that happen a few years back during gun season when I was younger. Guy I was hunting with shot 2 bucks while we were still hunting fresh snow over a ridge. He hit one right in the right rear quarter. The deer came down by me and I dropped it. I met up with him and helped him track the other deer and he had gut shot it. I finished it for him. I kept the first one because of how terrible the shot was. He kept the 2nd bigger one.

I've never had that happen with the bow though.