How do you hang your deer?

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by Mr. Jiggers, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Mr. Jiggers

Mr. Jiggers Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've had the luxury of being able to learn from a hunting mentor like my father whose experience and initiative have made the hunting experience for me priceless.

When my parents built the house they live in now, my father incorporated a game cleaning room into his plans for their garage. Early on, he acquired some racking from a Butcher shop that was going out of business, which he implemented into his design. His cleaning room can house up to 7 deer at one time. It has a double deep well stainless sink, meat grinder, and every possible accessory you could imagine when it comes to cleaning a harvested animal.

We basically have a full blown processing assembly line from the knife to the packaging. Seems to be extremely seamless, but I'm always looking for new ideas, and have been curious to see what other hunter's thoughts are when it comes to what I know as common cleaning methods for harvested game, hence the reason for making this short video.

PLEASE post or describe your hanging & cleaning methods. Any tips or tricks would be great to share. ENJOY the video. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  2. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I tried something new this year based on something I read. It was a little warm yet so I didn't get a good test. I've always hung deer from the horns or from a gambrial through the hocks. I read an article about hanging with the legs relaxed and how the meat is different if the legs are stretched through the rigor mortis process. I used a large butcher hook and hooked my doe through the pelvis so that the legs hung relaxed. Like I said, it was still warm so I didn't let her hang for very long but it is something I am going to try again when it cool enough to let it hang a week and see if there is a noticeable difference.

Mr. Jiggers likes this.
  3. Mr. Jiggers

Mr. Jiggers Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That's very interesting. In other words, rested meat versus "stretched"... right? It sounds rather logical to me, and you might be onto something. We actually do have one of those big butcher hooks that you mentioned. I may try that sometime.

BigHoss likes this.
  4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hang em through the hock. Too warm to let sit down here to age so just hang and get to work for me. They turn out awesome.

5. Paul Frey

Paul Frey Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hang them through the hocks inside a barn. Usually cold enough around here to let them hang for a week. I think the most important thing is to remove all fat and silver skin.

6. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hang from hocks ,but before I completely cut out the hock gland and all hair. They are either placed in a dbl. commercial frig. with shelves removed or in cold weather hung out off a pole.

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I hang them it's by the hinds.

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    "How do you hang your deer?"
    With a sturdy gallows, a well twisted noose made of new rope and great care.

Lol, I hang them by the hind legs, skin and debone ASAP. I take off the tarsals ASAP, take care to not spill the gut sack or bladder in the gut cavity. Those contents can really taint a carcass in short order.

9. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    too warm here in PA, and i don’t have a walk-in cooler or serious deer hunting kin. so i make due with what i have, and my wife puts up with it (this is the garage deer/beer fridge).

I shot this yearling doe Saturday AM and will debone Wed or Thursday.

Attached Files:

10. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t hang mine for very long. After I butcher it I’ll put the meat in a cooler with ice and keep it iced for several days draining the bloody water in between icings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In the video you mentioned that you can put an air conditioner in the window in the processing room if temps are too high. how low can you get the temperature in the room?

12. Alex Stephens

Alex Stephens Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone know where I can get a deer hanger that attaches to your trailer hitch connection?

13. Branden

Branden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Early season have to throw them in the deep freeze right away. other wise hang them by the hind legs and split the chest.