Some help understanding arrow weight

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by fadetoblack188, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I film my hunts, and have seen deer(especially does) drop that much in shots under 25 yards. It's very easy to go frame by frame, identify the POI and see where the deer was at release. The sooner the arrow gets there, the less the drop possible resulting in better shots. A comparison between my arrow and one that weighs 600 grain would be around 52 feet per second. That means the 450 grain arrow would arrive at the target 20% sooner than a 600 grain arrow, around 1/10th of a second. I understand that 1/10th of a second doesn't seem long, but that could be a 3-4" difference at impact. To me, that matters.

My setup has a slightly higher KE with a slightly lower Momentum than the 600 grain arrow, but I don't sacrifice speed to get there, and at 88.1 KE and .597 slugs it would be suited to take down any NA big game.

2. plc613

plc613 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes that precisely what I'm going to do and have been successfully doing so for many years. It's actually fairly straightforward once we get past the basics you pointed out (that he now understands). You need to give people the benefit of doubt that just because a guy doesn't understand the difference between spine and weight he is in fact an intelligent human being. If I were addressing a child I would adopt what your implying but frankly most people who come on a forum and don't understand the basics are capable of grasping everything I wrote about quite easily.

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    :lol:

I still think we got trolled.

trial153 likes this.
  4. fadetoblack188

fadetoblack188 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Went by a local shop to check out some arrow options. I really don’t know which arrow I want. Axis, gold tip hunter xt, fmj etc.

But making it more confusing . The chart says to run 300 spine. The guy at bow shop telling me no 340

5. plc613

plc613 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It all depends on a few things:

Draw length and weight
    Shaft length and point weight
    Bow IBO

If you want to get fancy there's a lot more to it but with those specific numbers you can safely choose the right static spine for a hunting arrow. You still have to tune it once you buy it though...

6. plc613

plc613 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You know what's funny about trolls? They present people with an opportunity to have an audience. It's up to the person responding to decide what to do with it.

7. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    maybe so; I just think the stubborn refusal to differentiate between spine and weight is a big red flag. Nothing you or anyone else said here is inherently "wrong" but I never saw the OP signal s/he recognized the difference and as such it seems suspect.

8. fadetoblack188

fadetoblack188 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I understand the difference between spine and weight. I don’t know why anyone thought that I felt the “340” was weight. I new that was the spine. Anyway.

I decided on carbon express maxima reds in badland camo today. The 350s. They cover a big range as far as draw weights. I also picked up slick trick magnums for now.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Case closed!

10. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As soon as I saw “Ashby” mentioned it was closed for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trial153 likes this.
  11. flatwoodshunter

flatwoodshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you are shooting a Triax (343 IBO) at 29" and 70# , you definitely need a 300 spine.

dnoodles likes this.
  12. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:

In your original post, you clearly did not know the difference between weight and spine. Clearly. And apparently still don't. Have fun tuning those fixed heads while being underspined. It's not just draw weight and shaft length you need to consider; it's also IBO which the Triax is blazing. You need a 300 spine at that DL, DW, and FPS.

We tried to help. I won't be "weighing" in any more on this thread.

13. fadetoblack188

fadetoblack188 Newb

Dislikes Received:

Dnoodle I totally wrote that by accident and I apologize . I did not mean to write grains after 300,340 etc. that was a lost in thought typo.

I don’t understand why some people on here are such know it all j.o’s. People look for honest help on something they don’t know much about. Hence the post. Then they call you a troll or whatever. Some people take stuff to serious.

14. fadetoblack188

fadetoblack188 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Is the manufactures recommendation wrong ?

15. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:

since you took the time to own your brain fart; I will own my mistake- I didn't know that Maxima Reds only have 2 spines. The chart is the chart and I won't argue that. My mistake. But you did have other posts in this thread where it appeared you were using weight and spine interchangeably and I'm not the only one who thought that.

As long as you understand that a Beman 340 is not 340 grains nor is a CX Red 350 coming in at 350 grains. At 9.07 GPI, with a 29" arrow they are only 263 grains. Throw another 25 grains or so in standard insert, vanes, and nock and you are still only at about 285 grains. Another 100 grain in the head and you are at 385, which is OK for whitetail. IMHO not optimal since you are shooting a screaming bow; but totally OK.

16. fadetoblack188

fadetoblack188 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, I am honestly not trying to start issues , just trying to learn. My brain is everywhere sometimes I type wrong.

Will these maxima reds work then?
    Arrow - 263 grains
    Lighted nock - 20 grains
    Head - 100 grains
    Insert - 11 grains
    Vanes - blazer 6 each? - 18

412 grains.

Will this work? Seem right? Should I increase to a 125 grain head? To make it 437?

17. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    412 is a little light IMO but should be OK. If it were me I personally would use heavy brass inserts rather than buying all new heads; but as a newbie just getting started it would probably be easier for you to use the heavier heads.

I've been bow hunting for 3 decades now and I learn new stuff all the time. Mostly stuff that I thought I knew wasn't necessarily correct (especially in regards to fads.)

I went all in this year and joined the 500 grain club. It's not for everyone. But your DL and DW is same as mine and your IBO speed is even a little faster than mine - and that "sweet spot" of speed, range, KE and momentum that Justin referred to is actually north of 475 grain TAW for set ups like ours.

But don't let us arrow nerds make it more trouble than it's worth to you. Sorry I came off like that earlier. Think I'm still POd from getting shell shocked at the gun range today.

WV Jess likes this.
  18. fadetoblack188

fadetoblack188 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Haha no problem dude . Thank you for your help.

dnoodles likes this.