A bucks core (revisited)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by gri22ly, Nov 25, 2018.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome thanks. I am starting to think about some spots I could do this with here shortly.

2. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just picked up two more A-35's today...I'm really impressed with the trigger speed, battery life and picture quality. And it helps that I've got a connection to get them for $49 a piece :)

15433585663181429310491934362642.jpg

virginiashadow likes this.
  3. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I bought 3 the last two years. They haven't really helped me kill a particular buck, but they have shown me if bucks are using certain bedding areas during the pre-rut. That is really important to how I hunt most years as October heats up in my family and it is hard to hunt because of basketball seasons. Well this year I actually got a chance to hunt October hard for the first time in probably a decade. And I was able to capitalize. So now I'd like to pick up a few more cams and start trying to identify some larger bucks and put together a game plan.

gri22ly likes this.
  4. gri22ly

Dislikes Received:
  5. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    What a pic Josh! Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, both are giving the stink eye :lol:

7. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Loving the discussion. Good stuff on the camera strategies guys.

Generally for my farm stuff I’m hanging cams on field edges. Bedding could be 10-250 yards into the woods generally. I do this for just ease of access for checking with the wheeler mid day or walking to/from stands. I’m more so looking for general tabs on what bucks are where, and at what time. Odds of killing one in the fields are super slim, but it really narrows it down when you see one an hour or two outside of shooting hours. These are heavily hunted small woodlots/ridges/hollers surrounded by big ag fields.

My public land camera stockpile is growing with time as I expand my areas. I’m being a bit more aggressive with these cameras and their placement. My struggle is getting the time to keep constant tabs on them. I like the acorn flat strategy. I planned heavily on attacking these next October, this could really shorten the learning curve for the where and when.

Josh, are you matching these pictures up with wind direction and conditions? Knowing your expertise in this area of discussion, I’m guessing you knew pretty damn well what wind thermals and currents you were facing before you headed in for this buck.

8. gri22ly

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't matched up all the data as of yet. I plan on going through it all this winter sometime.

Anything out of the west would work...I had a north west wind that evening. I'm not done with it yet...this is the start of the story for that hunt. I'm trying to learn to write, lol.

There are bluffs in the distance, staggered in shadow, and a waxing moon hovering overhead as the sun sinks down behind the distant hills. The sky slowly darkens as the stars faintly start to glow, the winds calm, and the thermals reverse, running down the ridges, drifting through the trees to the hollows below.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Westfinger likes this.
  9. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Very interested in this stuff.