Self-filmed and edited hunt - Looking for Feedback

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Pops423, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Pops423

Pops423 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I posted some raw footage earlier after I shot him but this is the edited video (still learning the skills). I'm open to suggestions and critique.

Thanks.

Subscribe to my Youtube channel if you enjoyed this.

2. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good job on the editing. I liked the slow mo reply. I’d say try and do your interviews level with the camera or at least don’t have the camera so far below you. Congratulations on the nice buck!

3. Pops423

Pops423 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks @JasonOhio2018

trying to figure out how to manage that angle better. my current setup has the camera mounted to the rail of my ladder stand. makes for quick easy setup, but bad angles for the interviews.

4. Bigtine

Bigtine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What is your channel name? This app won’t let me access it. I’ll just search for it on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. Pops423

Pops423 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  6. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good job on your first self filmed video! It's certainly not easy to do. I'm no expert but I have a few suggestions that may help. 1. Zoom out. The temptation is to zoom all the way in so you have a close up. If you have a decent camera that shoots HD, you can always do the zooming while editing. Zoom out just a tad as he comes in...that way it won't be so jerky and you won't have to worry as much about getting the shot on video. 2. Consider buying a better camera arm. Not sure what you are using but it was a little shaky. I can't afford the 4th Arrow or Muddy arms yet so I bought a Hawk Hunt Hard arm (bought $75). It's a good arm and makes for a smoother video. 3. B-Roll. My first 2 years self filming I would do exactly what you did. And there's nothing wrong with what you did. But if you want to spice it up some add some quality B-Roll. Do a pano of where you are hunting, get a close up of your bow and then slowly zoom out, get some footage of you walking in or climbing down, zoom in on some drops of blood, once you find the deer do some panos of his antlers and body; etc. If you want to see good BRoll watch Under Armour Hunts. They are obviously pros but it certainly helps to get some ideas. Then you take that BRoll and throw it on top of you main shots as you're giving your interviews. 4. Pose that guy so we can see him better once you find him! You don't have to do the hero shot but what keeps me watching after a person shoots the deer is seeing what he really looks like up close.

That's a bit nit picky and it's all up to you on what you want to do. I feel like my buddy did a great job on this self filmed video from last year. Especially the recovery B-Roll. Keep up the good work man!

Pops423 likes this.
  7. Pops423

Pops423 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    @SheddingLightTravis Thanks for the tips. I had filmed several shots of me ranging, looking thru binos, drawing the bow, etc. unfortunately I did those earlier in the season and leaves were different, i had no jacket on and a ball cap. So i pulled them as they looked 'staged' and didn't match.

In hind sight, I should have had my dad help me recreate a bunch of shots that day but I was in a rush to find the buck at first light and get off to see my daughter at PSU.

As for the camera arm, it's homemade and smooth. It's the fluid head i'm using i think. It seemed really stiff this year and I never took time to try to fix it.

I'm learning and taking notes for next time. appreciate the help.

8. Pops423

Pops423 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great video by the way. Love how you started and ended with the sunlight through the trees.