Bow Hunter Rescued

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by chieffan, Nov 20, 2018.

1. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Michigan, this morning around 7 am. Hunter called 911 for help. Was 1/2 mile back in public land. He dropped his phone so no further communications. Took a while to locate him and when they did he was hanging upside down with his feet caught in his climber, 50' up. Another hunter with a climber went up with safety lines, etc. and rescued him. He was wearing a safety harness but it was not attached to his life line. FD said it was an equipment failure that caused the fall. If his feet had not caught in the climber he would have fallen to the ground - 50 '. By all means keep that harness attached and keep your climber is good condition.

This was on the Omaha, NE news about an hours ago. (10 am, Tuesday 11-29-2018)

copperhead and Okiebob like this.
  2. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    50' up? What in the world was he doing that high up? I am a roofer with very little fear of heights but that seems pretty high. And I should clarify, I am not scared of heights but I have a healthy respect for them. And to be fair.. in Oklahoma you're lucky to find a good tree that you can get 18-24' up.

Sota and w33kender like this.
  3. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    agreed. 50' up a tree presents a very narrow window at both lungs of a deer, if any window at all. The more important question was why he wasn't attached to his lifeline while ascending. Granted, it's time consuming to slide the rope up the tree as you go, but it's also safer.

4. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The 50' up was my first thought also. They had video from a drone (news) that showed the operation and I believe it was 50' up. I have a ladder stand up 16'. Trail comes up the creek back and goes 3 ways from there with one well used path right by the base of the ladder. Shooting one on that path is going to have to be as soon as the leave the creek or it would be a straight down shot. Not one I want to try. Beside I don't think the bolt would stay back far enough in the crossbow to keep the anti dry fire off at that angle.

5. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    50 feet up? Thats only good for taking naps...

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you find a tree in Michigan that you can climb 50' up in the base is to big to get a climber around the tree much less the trimming required. I am calling BS on 50' but get well soon.

7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im pretty sure the height was exaggerated by either the media or who ever found him. But I have been wrong before but its hard to imagine a tree thin enough and with no branches 50 ft up. Ive seen some pines get close but that's a poke up in the air.

But like chieffan said lets stay attached at all times!!