***Official LIVE from the Stand Thread, 2018***

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cls74, Aug 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    LittleChief likes this.
  2. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Chief!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

LittleChief likes this.
  3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    valid...."point"

cls74 likes this.
  4. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    greeeaaaat, Shane has graduated to AP Chemistry....

Walter-White.jpg

5. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys.

I've been hunting hard since I moved here, putting off work that needed to be done. Priorities, right?

First, let me say that my new property is only 8 1/2 acres and I was in a tree about 30 yards from our new house/cabin.

There was one dry spell where I didn't see any deer after the mountain lion went through, but after the public land hunt I had shot opportunities on does almost every sit and I hoped it was a matter of time.

It's gun season here and I've switched back and forth between bow and gun depending on where I was sitting.

The last two afternoons I was sitting in a different tree. Both afternoons I saw two deer on the hillside in the neighbor's property but they were too far away to make out what they were. There was one deer feeding and another deer keeping its distance. I assumed it was a doe with a buck hanging back.

Yesterday afternoon I watched them come onto my property at last light when I couldn't see what they were for sure, but when I saw the first deer go between me and the house and saw the other deer go around the house on the other side I was pretty sure.

I slept in this morning and about mid-day I moved a climber between the path the first deer had taken and the house. It felt kinda weird hunting that close to my house but hey, it's in the forest.

This afternoon I saw a doe and two fawns feed across the property at about 4:15 and I wanted to shoot the doe but I didn't want to burn my gun tag on a doe.

15 minutes later I glanced to my left and caught movement. I glassed the deer and it was a lone doe, so I started glassing behind her and after about 5 minutes of glassing I finally caught movement.

I couldn't see what it was at first but I already knew. He finally stepped out where I could see him and I slowly put my binoculars down, picked up my bow and got ready.

It took another 20 minutes or so for the doe to feed by at 25 yards and by the time the buck was at 25 yards I was totally calm.

My eyes were darting back and forth between the doe and the buck and finally there was an opportunity. The doe was facing away from me and the buck's head went behind a big red oak. I drew and he continued to walk out and stop totally broadside at 25 yards.

I took my time, settled the pin, touched the release and when that arrow hit I knew I had him.

He jumped way up in the air, kicked, hit the ground and tore out back the direction he had come from.

He topped a rise and went out of sight and I heard crashing.

They say "when in doubt, back out", but there was no doubt here. I got down a mere 10 minutes later and looked at the arrow. It was covered in blood but it wasn't as good as I expected.

Since I'm colorblind it was no surprise that I couldn't find a blood trail so I took a compass bearing from my tree to where I heard crashing, went back to the house and grabbed my thermal imager.

I went back to my tree, got my compass bearing, picked a landmark and started walking and scanning.

I topped the rise and scanned. I didn't see him and I started to get concerned. I walked a bit farther and saw that the gulley was deeper than I had initially thought, so I took a few more steps and scanned.

There was a heat signature so I pocketed the thermal imager, raised my binoculars and there he was!

My biggest bow buck thus far is only 124" and I don't think this one will top that, but after the season I've had I couldn't be more thrilled.

Gun season ends after tomorrow and bow season re-opens so I can get back after them. There just won't be as much pressure on me now.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  6. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, but a pricey one.

7. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lol I took that last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

StanfillKY likes this.
  8. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great story and congrats again!!!

Adam
    Matthews Z7 Magnum 29/70
    Gold Tip Hunter XT
    100g Slick Trick Standard

USAF Bowhunter and LittleChief like this.
  9. kyner

kyner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats LC

LittleChief likes this.
  10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Curious on how many times you have used one.

Been looking at this one but figured it wasn't worth the added overtime at work to get.

https://www.zoro.com/flir-thermal-c...-Pw7FaWHfHyBdmoiPcuRsCV-dGJasmkoaAuMeEALw_wcB

On a serious note, we have one at my work that I could probably use if needed, supervisor of the maintenance department is a hunter and friend.

Wondering how long after the fact you can use one. Never really used one to know how sensitive they are or how long after the deer dies a detectable heat is emitted.

Looks to be some within a workable offseason purchase and might be worthwhile even for those of us without color blindness. During twilight and after dark, unless still glistening the trail can be hard to follow.

11. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  12. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Good God! The item in the link you posted costs more than we paid for this house and 8.5 acres!

I paid $1900 for the FLIR I have.

I've used it to find five deer (counting the one today) since I bought it and in my opinion it's worth every penny. Having it on standby gives me a little peace of mind when I'm alone like I've been most of this season.

As far as sensivitity goes, I can see the heat signature of the sunlight reflecting off of the moon with it.

No, I'm not kidding.

I can see the heat signature of a cow at well over a half mile and I can see the heat signature of a squirrel at over 100 yards.

13. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    not familiar with that brand but they're pretty effective- they detect differences in temperatures; not degrees. So if the ground and trees are say 45* and a dead deer has cooled to say 60* core temp; you should be able to see the variance pretty distinctly. The deer may not be glowing orange or red but a light blue against a darker blue background. A deer's mass will keep the core temp warm for several hours even in sub-freezing temps. Blood trails would be a different matter. If you're sure of the shot but color blind like LC, I would try to take to the bloodtrail with a thermal detector within minutes. Unless it's really cold the blood should be readable for a few minutes at least.

14. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm believing ya, and damn!

Gonna have to mess around with the one at work now. Pretty impressive really, guessing like optics you get what you pay for.

How long after the shot, or what you might deem death, have you used it?

StanfillKY likes this.
  15. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That makes sense, surface temps would definitely present problems during warmer times. Rocks and such.

Wouldn't want to follow blood with it, guessing it would cool pretty quick.

StanfillKY and dnoodles like this.
  16. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Based on your question I went outside (it's freaking cold out there and now I'm shivering) but it's now been over 5 1/2 hours since I killed that buck. He's gutted and hanging in a tree behind the house and he's still giving off a heat signature I'd be able to spot a couple hundred yards away with a clear view.

"Clear view" is an important phrase here. In really thick cover these things aren't that useful as anything that is between you and the heat source will block the heat signature.

cantexian, StanfillKY, cls74 and 3 others like this.
  17. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
  18. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  19. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m heading out the door now. Peak movement is supposed to be between 9-1130 will see

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

20. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    Swamp Stalker, Tony and Shocker99 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.