Quality vs Quantity

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Edeupree, Oct 24, 2018.

?

What do to go after in your range time

1. Quantity

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Quality

13 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Edeupree

Edeupree Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I got my first bow in years, like 25 years. I've come to understand proper archery form thanks to John Dudley. I'm shooting lower poundage in order to build my back/shoulder muscles with the goal of upping the poundage over time. I can shoot using proper form maybe 10 times before fatigue causes me to start to use improper form and break down. Please understand I've only been shooting for 4 days, I'm thinking that I'd much rather make 10 great shots with good form 4-5 days a week than I had make 30-60 shots a day using bad form.

What's your process fling as many arrows as you can regardless of form as long as you're hitting the target or take fewer shots but make the great shots?

2. Matt7705

Matt7705 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I usually shoot till I get tired and can't hold my bow steady. I also work on doing everything the same with every shot in good form. I find that once I stop one bad habit I usually start doing something else so I gotta work on that ugh. I usually turn my bow down about 8lbs in the off season so I can shoot about 100 arrows. When I shoot during season I shoot anywhere from 25 to 60 arrows

3. afishhunter

afishhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I stop when:
    (A) My groups start to spread.
    (B) Frustration starts to set in.
    (C) It starts to hurt.
    (D) The range at the Pro Shop (the only place I can shoot) starts to get crowded. (As I am a nothing, I don't want to be in the way or insult/offend others with my presence.)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  4. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Practice doesn’t make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

w33kender and siwulat like this.
  5. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely quality over quantity in the beginning, but thats certainly not an excuse to not get your reps in. It takes a long time to develop the skills so quantity is still important. If you can only shoot ten times make you ten shots then give it a little rest and try to get back out there, that will help the muscles build up more quickly as well.

fireball mike likes this.
  6. Skunkworkx

Skunkworkx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will fling a few arrows until as above, grouping starts to suck, or wear I out.

After a half hour or so, I'll fling a few more, and repeat.

This way I can build stamina.

And again....I'm a hunter, not a spot shooter....only need one good shot.

7. ThrustWasher

ThrustWasher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Always practice with a purpose, As jstephen said Practice doesn't make perfect, Perfect practice makes perfect! I blank bail before every shoot to get warmed up and get the feeling going! Right before I head out to hunt i'll shoot 10 arrows to get myself feeling good and it helps with confidence!

w33kender likes this.
  8. Edeupree

Edeupree Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I will sat that I've since been able to bring my poundage up also. My form has greatly improved, one thing I did was shoot fewer reps more often and I saw a great improvement in my fatigue level. Right now I can easily shoot 40 arrows with out my form breaking down and causing issues. I purchased an IQ Mirco bow sight which also helps me identify when I'm breaking down because of being tired..Long story short now Id much rather make 20 perfectly executed shots than I had make 60 marginal shots because I'm pushing myself physically.

9. Robert Gate

Robert Gate Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm afraid that if we're going with bad form for a long time, it could become a bad habit. Say yes to quality.

w33kender likes this.
  10. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting without regard for form, and focusing on the amount of arrows is a great way to develop bad habits. Quality shots is always better in my mind.

w33kender and ThrustWasher like this.
  11. ThrustWasher

ThrustWasher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In the end bowhunting is all about 1 well placed arrow, Quality of the shot should be the only thing you're focused on making! I shoot a varying amount of arrows each day based on how I feel, I think that people who are dead set on shooting a given amount each day are cheating themselves and not doing themselves any good!

w33kender likes this.
  12. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mostly since I shoot primarily in the back yard (10 yards) i work on accuracy, but also its stress relief.

13. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's never a good idea to just fling practice arrows imo. Sloppy habits can creep in. I like for my first practice shot to be as accurate as I need it to be in the woods. I'm a newb with compound bows, only year three.

14. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This! ^