Broadheads!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by bowhunterd68, Oct 3, 2018.

1. bowhunterd68

bowhunterd68 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone! Was wondering if any of you that have a 2018 triax could share what broadheads are best for whitetails. I've been using thunderheads 125 grain but they never fly exactly like my field points. I appreciate any help or advice. Thanks Dan.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you need to tune your bow. That being said, Magnus makes the best broadheads, Ford makes the best trucks, and if you dont chew big red..

justinwmoe88 and bowhunterd68 like this.
  3. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I second magnus. Won’t get into the fords...lol

Mathews Halon
    Black Eagle outlaws
    Magnus Buzzcut 4 blades
    Nasty combo

justinwmoe88 and davidingle like this.
  4. BowhunterJeremiah

BowhunterJeremiah Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would recommend magnus slick trick and exodus. I’ve also seen good things from ramcats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was a ramcat guy til this year when I discovered what a magnus can do and the warranty they carry. I love them but can’t say anything bad about ramcat either.

Mathews Halon
    Black Eagle outlaws
    Magnus Buzzcut 4 blades
    Nasty combo

6. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thunderheads were always a pain for me to tune. I think that long ferrule makes them a bit more finicky. At least that’s the excuse I made for myself. I roll with Slick Trick Standards now and have for at least the last 4 seasons or so and will continue to. They fly great, easy tuning, tough as nails and just flat get the job done.

7. Urban VA Deer Hunter

Urban VA Deer Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I bought my Triax last year the owner at the pro shop suggested that I use 100 grain Slick Trick broad heads. I can't vouch for what it does to a deer as I haven't taken one yet but they do fly just like my field points.

8. pdun24

pdun24 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Muzzy Hybrids out of my Triax and they fly fine. Worked really well on the only doe I have shot with them.

9. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not all Broadheads shoot like fieldpoints. If you're shooting expandables you have to find the right brand that shoots similar to your tips. As for fix heads. You need to sight it at 10yds no matter what. Try Nap Thunderhead nitro 100gr. 1oogr heads are more consistent than 125gr heads.
    Anyways it shoots similar to a field point. But I'd prefer sighting it at 10 yds from a 6ft practice treestand. Last fall I harvest a coyote and my 2nd Mature whitetail with the thunderhead nitro. The coyote piled down at 20yds and the mature buck went 50yds. Both complete pass through.

10. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone is going to have their own preference. I shoot 100 Gr. Rage Hypodermics for hunting. I also shoot a pack of practice heads to stay dialed in during the summer. You might be someone that doesn't like mechanicals which is fine, just pick something that you're going to have total confidence in when you're hunting.

Xoutdoors likes this.
  11. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I might also add trying a different Gr. weight of broadhead, you will be amazed how much of a difference it makes on the spine of your arrow, particularly when shooting down range past 30 yrds. something to think about if you're getting different broadheads. Any knowledgeable bow shop will help you find your magic number for proper arrow spine, could be arrow length, grain weight and shaft balance or even all of the above. Hope this helps. Bottom line is your bow (assuming it is tuned) will drive tacks with a perfectly balanced arrow.

BB1 likes this.
  12. ganderss2424

ganderss2424 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to the magnus stingers 4 blade this year. 2 deer with them so far. both ran about 60 yards and crashed. blood trails are good, not outstanding. but then again, only been through 2 deer with them. Magnus warranty is 50% of the reason I switched. I just sent 3 in the mail, and got 3 pack brand new back in the mail with no questions asked. paid $2.00 for shipping. now that's a warranty!! buy a couple packs and never need to buy more again. They fly really good with the exception of heavy winds. IMO they tail more than other broadheads because of the surface area they have on their blades. That's really the only knock on have on them at this time.