New bow ???? is it time...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Skunkworkx, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Russ morton

Russ morton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well said. I still have all my bows, except for my first one.

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I probably hear that sentiment about the Switchback more than any other bow- that and "wish I never got rid of her". Kind of like Marlin 336s in .35 Rem.

That being said (channel Graft glasses) do what a couple others said and go shoot a lot of bows. Even a couple you wouldn't think you are interested in. Prior to this year, I was a Mathews guy, and in my mind I was going from my Mathews Z7x to a Mathews Triax...with a little wiggle room for a Centergy and outside contender being a Bowtech Reign, all based on what I read and watched. I'd never shot any of the other manufacturers much less models; other than the Mathews I already had.

Long story short, I ended up buying a Bowtech Realm. Just a dream to draw. Best back wall I've ever shot. I liked the Triax, a lot. But I loved drawing the Realm. I let the bow tell me what I liked more.

Point is, if you let it- the bow will pick you.
    Also- I agree on not getting rid of your old bow. I'll never not have at least 2 bows. A bow gets over 10 years old any nobody is going to give you anything for it. Keep it as a backup and/or nostalgia. You will not regret that.

3. Skunkworkx

Skunkworkx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OK, shot the Triax, a Halon 32, and an Elite Ritual.

I went back to back to back...I can say of the 3 I did like the Triax for quietness, but the 32 did feel a little better. (could have been not the right draw length on the Triax… was set at 30" Vs 28.5" I need ?)

4. Skunkworkx

Skunkworkx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wellllll, Vertix won out and custom order placed.

5. charleshibner92

charleshibner92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    New bows are fun. I have never really "needed" a new bow except once I sold a bow and had an empty rack. But even when I was shooting my old Bear Element from 2007 it was killing deer fine. I just wanted a new bow. If you want a new one, go shoot some. It can be fun.

7. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with most of everyone on here that keeps their bows for a good amount of time. My last two bows I pretty much gave away to introduce new hunters to the great world of bow hunting. Mathews Reezen was my last bow, I sold it to my best friends son for a meager $200 fully kitted out, arrows and all. The young man lives in the hills of NC on a subsistance type homesite, he feeds his family with that thing.

With all that being said I bought a new Triax this year with the credit I had at my Pro shop from consigned Hoyt carbon Spyder I sold quite a long time ago. I can tell the difference between the Reezen and the Triax for sure. I'll probably hunt with this bow for at least 5 years.