Team 26 - Mid South Monsters

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by NebBowhunter, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer man we coulda used the points, carcass still isn’t around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well congratulations on the doe. Pic?

3. Kody Nehl

Kody Nehl Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Okay guys, kind of a report on my morning. Saw one of my shooters on camera that chased a hot doe off and never gave me a shot. He is the one in the picture. I also had a new buck sprint through the field at avout 40 yards. From the small glance i got, I think he would score 170 or so.... gonna be back in the stand tonight.

Mr_BS and Shawn Clark like this.
  4. Kody Nehl

Kody Nehl Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    illinibowhunter likes this.
  5. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    Great looking buck

Kody Nehl likes this.
  6. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    Tomorrow is looking pretty good here. 70% snow and high pressure. I’ll be out for sure.

7. Mr_BS

Mr_BS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Took the weekend off to be with the family after going to Kansas. No luck in Kansas. Only saw the one shooter. We had issues with other hunters 3 of the 6 days we hunted... Didn’t see but 16 deer the entire time in a tree, which is not good for where we were at. I think the standing corn all around us was the big killer for us.
    Gonna go after my daughter her first buck Saturday and hopefully I can go after a doe at the least Sunday evening.

8. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    I ended up seeing 6 doe and one small buck. I’ll be out in the morning.

9. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Sat all day, saw nothing.

10. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    That’s tough. Very draining. I think tomorrow will be good.

11. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I sure hope so. Been a long vacation with bad weather sits and as soon as the weather breaks I’m not seeing as many deer.

12. TN_Guy

TN_Guy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No, its already gone.

Doe.jpg

cantexian and JasonOhio2018 like this.
  13. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I ended having both a frustrating and good hunt today. The hunt got off to a rough start. I got up at 4:30 am to be on stand 45 minutes before shooting light. Unfortunately, it poured rain until about 7:30 am, and I walked in after daylight. It was raining too hard set up before then. I spooked a group of four does walking in. I think they were headed to the bedding area I wanted to set up in. This is the same bedding area I saw a good shooter 8 pointer on Friday night.

I learned the hard way that the straps on my Hawk tree stand suck and make awful knots when wet. I got to the top of the first tree and could not get the stand secured. After about 30 minutes of fighting it, I got down and moved the whole set to a different tree. I was able to get the knot out back on the ground before getting in the new tree. In the long run this ended up being a good move, but I was not up until almost 9:30 am. Unfortunately, the tree I got into only let me get up to about 12 feet before it got too small to go higher. The cover was thick, so I hoped it would work. I endured a light but steady rain sitting there until about Noon before it finally quit. Today's wind was NNE, so I set up on the SW corner of the bedding area. I hadn't hunted from the west side of this bedding area before. The previous to sits had been west winds so I was on the east side with my back against the river.

About 12:30 pm I had three does go by on a trail that took all three of them broadside at 10 yards from the tree I had been in on previous hunts. About 12;45 pm a huge six point came by on the same trail that would have put him broadside at 10 yards. I am guessing he would have scored about 130. He dwarfed the 110 inch 8 point I killed last year. That 8 point was 20 inches wide and had 6 inch G2s. This six point is wider, has 6 inch brows and 12 inch G2s. He worked a scrape that is 14 yards from the tree I had previously hunted. I grunted twice at him and he ran to 8 yards before I could put the call in my pocket. He was broadside behind three trees and caught me when I tried to draw. He ran about 30 yards and stopped. I grunted a few more times and he started circling downwind. I lost sight of him after that.

About 15 minutes later an unknown buck ran a doe by at an all out sprint about 70 yards away. I didn't get a good look at that buck and both were hauling butt. About 1:15 pm I had a little Fergie buck 8 point and a young doe come down the trail towards me. I wasn't interested in the little buck do I decided to shoot the doe given the chance. I had to quit hunting at 2:30 to be home in time to coach my son's basketball practice. The doe came straight at me down the trail. Knowing that the buck had seen me draw, I drew when she looked back at the little buck behind her.

Unfortunately, I was getting gear ready last night, I realized that some time between getting out of the tree after the Friday night hunt and getting gear ready last night, the trigger on my Trufire release had broken off. I rushed to Academy last night and bought a new one before they closed. I took a couple of practice shots in my garage last night with the new release. I thought I was good but I forget to test it holding at full draw for a long time.

The doe saw me holding a full draw, as she turned broadside, I tried to settle the pin and the bow went off before I touched the trigger. I had been at full draw for about 45 seconds, I guess since I forgot to adjust the tension on the set screw, it couldn't hold at full draw any longer? Anyway, I will have to work on that before I hunt again. She was at five yards and I was only about 12 feet off the ground. No way I miss that shot if I can get it lined up. I shot about 18 inches over her back. The only good thing about this it that is was a clean miss.

This my first season to hunt this particular piece of public ground. In three hunts I have seen about 18 deer; four of which bucks and two were definitive shooters. Sucks that my rush to hunt with new equipment cost me a doe and the team points. Although, my confidence in finding good spots on public land has skyrocketed. It is just a matter of time.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    TN_Guy likes this.
  14. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    You gotta be worn out after all that today lol. I’d test that release again. If it’s going to hold, it should hold. Time shouldn’t be a factor. I had a worn D loop one time that wouldn’t hold the release. It would only fail every 10 shots or so and I thought it was my release. Turned out it was the D loop.

It definitely sounds like you’ve found some good spots and it’s just a matter of time and pure odds that you get a good buck. That’s what I’m hoping for me too lol. I’m seeing a lot of deer so I figure it’s just a matter of time.

15. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I replaced my D Loop a couple of months ago, right before my elk hunt. I haven’t shot a lot since then so it shouldn’t be the D Loop. I am sure I just need to practice more and get used to the new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

16. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    The big six point stopped right behind the three trees just off center in the picture.

IMG_5585.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  17. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    Figures. Pretty much open everywhere else. Not looking forward to the super loud walk in on the frozen leaves in the morning. It’s so loud it’s painful. By the time I get to my stand I’m always thinking there is zero chance I’ll see a deer after all that noise. But somehow I usually do lol.

18. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Did a big cam check before all day sits on Weds/Thurs/Fri.

Have a new #1:

[​IMG]

He was around last year and not quite a shooter cuz of this size but he has blossomed nicely.

The rest of the haul:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

illinibowhunter likes this.
  19. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like you have plenty of candidates! I’m getting pretty frustrated myself. I keep seeing the same deer over and over.
    Saw 3 little bucks and one doe this morning.

Kody Nehl and Govtrapper like this.
  20. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received: