Single pin vs multiple pins

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WildernessPhantom, Nov 11, 2018.

1. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I currently have a G5 optix xr fixed pin sight with the floater on my mathews switchback xt. I like that it has a light on it and have always used a fixed pin sight. I have the first pin set at 20, 2nd at 30, and 3rd at 40 yards. The floater pin is only used for backyard 3d practice but will never be used in the whitetail woods for me. I recently read an article someone posted by Bill Winke about single pin sights. He stated that with a bow shooting around 280 fps, which I bet I'm near there shooting 65 lbs on my switchback, that a single pin can be set at 25 yards and be good from like 14 to 38 all in the kill zone. This really got me thinking about switching in the off season. I like this sight, but the thought of 1 pin and no guesswork seems nice. The open field of view is very appealing to me. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or opinions from those that have switched either way and why. Thanks again and God bless.

2. matdrenalin

matdrenalin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a one pin slider. Leave it on 20 yard setting except for backyard practice. Almost all my shots are 25 yards or less and the 20 yard pin is good out to 30. Next setting is 40.

3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am a big fan of single pin sights. I have had 2 3 pin sliders also but I am hooked on the nice clean sight picture of a single pin. I usually set them at 27 yards and then for most of my whitetail ranges I don't have to move the sight. I just bought another HHA "work horse" (Optmizer Lite 5019). They aren't flashy or new tech, but work great and are nice and bright. Plus you can find them used very reasonably price.

4. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. That’s the sight I am thinking of buying. For my personal range it’s all I’d need. I won’t be doing anything until spring but it’s nice to have time to think about it. Good hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coop likes this.
  5. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I absolutely love my trophy ridge react one pro. Have a couple buddies that run the optimizer lite that run the 5519. I personally would love to get a optimizer lite ultra 5010 or king pin. I also leave mine on 20 and marked the sight with white fingernail polish for 40 Incase I have to make a quick adjustment. Anything under 30 I just use the 20 mark though

Mathews Halon
    Black Eagle outlaws
    Magnus Buzzcut 4 blades
    Nasty combo

6. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am really digging my Spot Hogg Fast Eddie double pin. Its nice because you get a second fiber in a single vertical pin. Once the sight is calibrated, the second pin usually falls around 15 yards beyond what the top one is. I set my sight at 25 yards and I can cover everything from 20-40 yards without touching the sight.

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    A few years ago when I switched to a single pin I was VERY apprehensive. Took me a bit to adjust but I can't see myself going back now. I absolutely love it. Like most of these guys my shots at whitetails from a stand are typically 30 years and in so I leave my sight set around 23-25 yards which covers me out to 30. If I need to to shoot beyond that I better have enough time to range and dial first anyways otherwise I shouldn't be shooting.

The only time I'd consider going back to a mutli-pin housing would be for spot and stalk hunting out West where the distances you're shooting a changing pretty rapidly. In which case I'd go to a 3 pin housing set at 30-40-50 and call it good. Chances are on spot and stalk you're not shooting under 30 anyways and if you do just remember to hold low.

8. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate all the advice. I will probably give one a try over the winter. I will keep my G5 as well. I think I will go to a local proshop that is well stocked and get more of a hands on look. Being that all my shots are 30 yards or less, I think it would work out well, Thanks again and safe hunting.

9. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I when back to a fixed multi pin sight. My slider was really bugging me. Good luck finding the perfect tape, and the idea of my deer staying at the yardage I set it as never has worked. Multi pin means bigger peep, less expensive and more accurate pin settings.

dstouffer likes this.
  10. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/setting-up-a-single-pin-sight/

11. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    I found that the tapes included with the Spot Hoggs very accurate. To a point where several would have worked because the difference was so minute. You could always make your own as well.

The one thing I found that I had to drill out of my head was that with the sliders, you're not aiming to be as precise. What I mean is, you're trying to hit an area on a deer that is actually pretty big. Its not like standing on a line in competition trying to hit something the size of a golf ball. You have a pie plate or larger spot, that if you put an arrow in that region, will result in a dead deer. How that relates to the sliders and to your comments is this. I set my single pin at 25 yards. I'm about an 1 1/2" high at 20 and 2" low at 30. I don't need to move anything inside of 30 yards to have the "right" pin to make a killing shot. Its really as simple as it gets. Now, the Fast Eddie sights have a second fiber down the post of that single pin, that falls right around 40 yards when the top pin is set at 25 yards for me. So, if something were to happen and the deer would jump out to 40ish yards while I'm at full draw, I simply use the bottom pin and shoot. However, if I'm going to shoot at a calm animal outside of 30 yards, I will only do so if I have enough time anyway. Enough time to adjust the sight to the correct yardage. I wished I would have switched to this sight a long time ago.

12. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Single pin does have its place no argument there. I have never hunted out west where I’m sure it would be beneficial. Having only hunted whitetail in the Midwest multi pin just works without any issues.

Just this year I had pulled back on a doe at 40 only to look down and see one at 17. In that split second I could have just moved my bow down and shot the closer doe but waited and lost both shots. That was the last straw for my single pin. Another time I dreaded my single pin was during a rainstorm, tapes got wet and blurry. also while hunting in a blind. It’s too dark to see the tapes and a sight light doesn’t illuminate your tapes.

As far as using a 25 yard pin for everything, naw I’m not going to guess or Kentucky windage a shot sorry.

esox620 likes this.
  13. mrjohnsmitt

mrjohnsmitt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like clear sight pictures and small pins mostly, though I am doing more spot and stalk hunting and think I'm leaning toward a hybrid with 3 adjustable pins so I have a menu of yardages available for a quick unanticipated shot or follow-up but the built in yardage range without a ton of pins in my face.
    Currently teetering between the CBE TEK-Hybrid Pro and Black Gold Ascent Verdict, but totally open to thoughts and ideas.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  14. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Black Gold Ambush Ascent, their predessor to the verdict. I have had it for four season now and am incredibly impressed with it. It may be more money than the CBE, but the extra money will be worth it.

15. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    These are the exact reasons I switched back to a five pin site

16. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don’t forget about Axcel. They are my favorite

17. ThrustWasher

ThrustWasher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When I would use a single pin i'd set it at 30 yards and practice from 20-40 and I shot so much that it took all the guess work out of where the arrow would hit if a deer presented itself for a shot within that range, I switched back to a 5 pin and plan on sticking with this from now on!

18. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    To each their own. For me, I like the simplicity and just aim and shoot, of what I'm using now. I have enough things going on in the stand when I'm shooting a deer, picking the right pin in the heat of the moment, while I've never had trouble doing so) just seemed like something I could improve for my setup. That, and perhaps more important with me, was that my aging eyes were having some issues with multiple pins and my tight pin spacing. The single cleared this up for me.

Honestly, "kentucky windaging a shot" I am not. When bows are as fast as they are today, 5 yard difference is not much.

19. ganderss2424

ganderss2424 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The only way you will really know what you like is if you try it. Just like buying a new bow, everyone has an opinion. I personally like the single pin. clear clean sight picture. I also prefer the smaller 5010 vs 5019 pin. I would take a close look at these. No way I would ever go to a 5019. but's that just my personal preference. I set my wheel at 25yds. Just practice shooting distances from 10-40 yds with your slider set on 25yds. This way you don't have to worry about messing with your slider if something sneaks in on you. For me, I hold on top of the deers back for 40yds if my slider is at 25yds. If I have time to adjust I will. If not, i'm ready and confident in my holdover.

20. iBowhunt

iBowhunt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have always used three pin sights, but switched to the Trophy Ridge React H5 this year when I got the new Triax bow. The problem I have is that the bow shoots so flat the pins are nearly touching and it just makes a blur in the sight housing. This sights is literally the worst thing for me, I absolutely hate it. I have a new single pin HHA Optimizer Tetra just waiting to be put on after the season ends. I've heard nothing but good things about single pin sights from anyone who I've spoken to that shoots them. I shot one in the bow shop, and loved it. Can't imagine ever using a multi-pin sight again.