Revenge of the 5th. Team 5 Official thread.

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Okiebob, Aug 13, 2018.

1. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    “Excuse me son, this isn’t a designated bedding area. I’m going to have to ask you to leave” [​IMG]

Shocker99 and Okiebob like this.
  2. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Doe down. 15 yard track job. [​IMG]

flopdrop, MSBK1, Shocker99 and 2 others like this.
  3. OKIENOCKERS

OKIENOCKERS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What to do....
    I've had this same little 5 point buck at 10-13 yards. Hanging out....FOUR times now. I'm itchin to whack him. Yesterday we had a monster about 65 yards out acting all crazy. Racing back & forth up & down the fence line. He wouldn't respond to anything. We also had a button buck getting frisky toward a tiny doe who was having no part of that....could have gotten him, her or this guy that keeps coming back but I'm REALLY trying my best to hold out for the monster..... 20181109_173113.jpeg 20181110_171635.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

mathewsmq1 likes this.
  4. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

OKIENOCKERS likes this.
  5. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This being your first deer.. just do what feels comfortable. Whether it be a monster or a small buck, when a good broadside shot presents itself and it feels right, take the shot.

mathewsmq1 likes this.
  6. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted all day yesterday (rifle opener). Had a mature 5x2 come by at about 8:45 but then only saw a doe and a spike the rest of the day.

Friday afternoon my son had a giant at 5 yards but had no shot. He was following a doe that wasn’t interested in him so she brought him to the base of the tree trying to lose him. You’d think the does would learn to lead them through the shooting lanes if they want rid of them.

I’m staying home today to spend time with the wife and I have to work Monday. I’ll be back after it middle of next week.

7. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Had my #1 at 45 yards and didn’t have a clear shot. He came in with a spike I threw 2 grunts at him but he bedded down. Some does were trying to put the slip on him out the back door, but he saw them and took off after one in a dead sprint. I was hoping the does would circle back to the bedding area but no such luck. 5 more yards is all I needed. It seems he’s back from his early season yearly field trip. Not sure if I should go back this evening or wait until morning

8. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Well I’m back where I have service. Went for a short stay at a buddies who had an amazing farm in west central IL. Surprisingly the action was slow. Not much chasing. It seems to be just starting there. They said last weekend was slow too. We were all seeing deer but no one saw a shooter. Keeping in mind their standards that is. I laugh when I say “slow” because I still probably saw 50-60 deer in 2 sits. I had to come back home for a dr. Appt tomorrow. Plus I just need a day to sleep in, refuel, rest my back, and spend time with the wifey and kids. Still have Tuesday and Wednesday morning before shotgun season. Here’s a few photos. Had a lot of big bodied bucks but they just didn’t have enough up top for this farm. Would have taken more pics but my hands were freezing ! 826176A1-C9D6-4982-86DD-0644170BB078.jpeg B56CB92C-61BF-4D0E-83DC-5590BCD5BB74.jpeg 91695F28-5F49-4F14-A335-0CE050CACFED.jpeg 7F7347F4-75AF-4772-AE21-FFC28F1F1782.jpeg 421138AF-39CC-4DE5-9814-8E78202F1201.jpeg
    5A8EAE3F-6FDB-4DE6-B8BA-942B83D137D9.jpeg

Attached Files:

9. OKIENOCKERS

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys. He walked out in front of me for a 5th time..... too much taunting me!!!! waiting to track. I pulled back on him 3 or 4 times before I felt 100% with my shot. I let it fly!!!! I'm shaking like mad!!!

10. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck on the track job!

11. OKIENOCKERS

Dislikes Received:
  12. countryfamily

countryfamily Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OKIENOCKERS likes this.
  13. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

OKIENOCKERS likes this.
  14. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fantastic Julie! So happy for you. Great job getting your first one with a bow.

OKIENOCKERS likes this.
  15. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go! Nice shot Julie!

OKIENOCKERS likes this.
  16. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Okiebob and OKIENOCKERS like this.
  17. OKIENOCKERS

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys!!!
    It's the same little guy that taunted me the last 4 sits.... he made the mistake coming in for a fifth time....each time he has hung out over 10 minutes...this time was no different. Same scenario...he walks in, I text Caleb who is in the tree stand directly above my blind, "for real?" His reply, "yep." Just like every other time.... we go back & forth via text if I should do it or not..... finally I put my phone down & decide to do it. He mills around, me pulling back several times. Never fully comfortable with the shot. 4th time pulling back I KNEW was IT. I settled & let 'er fly. I watched the shot. Stuck RIGHT where I was aiming. The lil guy jumped & slammed into the tree next to him.....breaking my arrow off with about 8" in him & off he went. Before I could even process...not even a second after the shot, I get a text, "HOLY CRAP!!!" Apparently the kid had looked away for a split second & that's when I let it rip. He said we should wait 30 minutes before tracking....this was the 1st time either of us had ever harvested a deer with a bow. . . We were both shaking & there were possibly tears....30 minutes seemed like forever. Finally we were able to come out/down to track. We walked over to the point of impact...blood & fur on the tree.... then my arrow snapped off on the ground. A trail of blood leading up the hill through the woods...by this time the sun was starting to set & it was hard to see blood in alllll of the leaves. I was starting to get nervous....when he was spotted about 60 yards away along the fence line. He had two huge puddles of blood in 2 areas near the fence. Caleb jumped right in to field dress him. We discovered it was almost a complete pass-thru...double lung shot. We (mostly him because he enjoys this stuff) are now processing him. It was quite the experience!!! I'm pretty sure I'm hooked!!! Thank you for your encouragement. Now I will be back out after that monster!! IMG_20181113_085641_250.jpeg ] 20181112_171035.jpeg 20181112_171228.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  18. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome work! Looks like they are starting to stack up.

OKIENOCKERS likes this.
  19. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    You just made my day Julie. I love hearing the excitement especially when it’s someones first. AND you got to do it with your boy. So cool. You will never forget this day. Big congrats!

OKIENOCKERS likes this.
  20. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Also I forgot to mention, great shot! Right on the money

OKIENOCKERS likes this.