***Official LIVE from the Stand Thread, 2018***

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cls74, Aug 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've got 2 Lone Wolfs and an XOP hanging in the garage for 3 years.

At least you use your climber, I sold mine :lol:

StanfillKY likes this.
  2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A summit for the win!!!

USAF Bowhunter likes this.
  3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's the one I had Summit Open Shot or Bushmaster I believe it was called.

4. vanfossen

vanfossen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I spend most of my years with climbers but ever since I went to hang on and sticks I haven’t went back to a climber. You can literally get into any trees and usually will be able to get in trees with better cover with a run and gun setup. I use XOP and love it. In a tree in 5 mins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StanfillKY and tdk5525 like this.
  5. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

[​IMG]

6. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I ended up having a good hunt on public land in Arkansas tonight. Saw two does, a little forkie, and a decent 8 point that was with one of the does. My plan worked perfectly, the doe led the buck down to the creek behind me for a drink at 4:20 pm. I stood up to shoot the doe because I thought she was alone. She caught me drawing and ran back to the edge of the CRP about 40 yarda away and stopped. I saw the buck as she was running. I had him broadside at 23 yards but his vitals were blocked by a few small trees. He stood there for a few seconds and then took off after her. They stopped about 70 yards away on the far edge of the CRP. I grunted a few times and the buck started thrashing a tree. He looked over a few times and I thought he was going to come in but he ended up following the doe away. The other doe was by herself. Both her and the forkie were never close enough for a shot. Only my second sit on this piece of public land. I saw two does bedded at 60 when I hunted two weeks ago that never gave me a shot. I think I may have a little public land sweet spot. Hoping to be back in their Monday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  7. Englishman

Englishman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Now I’m warmed up I will like to say 2day has been the best full day in the stand I’ve had. I seen so much activity and battled the worst weather I have hunted in. My adrenaline has go up and down so much, me questioning my sanity every 5 min and it was almost perfect when a shooter 10p came in 5min after sunset with plenty of light he just had to keep going where he looked to be going. But as he got 50yds from me he started to turn and walk away, nothing I could do changed his mind. I will be rifle hunting 2moz with my 5yr old boy who keeps asking to go. Bow hunting goes until January 15th so lots more time to go.

8. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I needed. I’m reenergized and will be sitting dark to dark tomorrow and possibly Sunday. I went to that 114 acre gem that I mentioned to meet the owner that my dad knows. I don’t know how the FP didn’t take this guys land. I mean he is deep in the preserve with everything, including his long ass driveway surrounded by forest preserve. Upon pulling into his land I look to my right and there’s a few deer in the field (this is 10:30 am) so I stop and glass them. A fork a doe and a double main beam buck that I’d guess around 140. watched him make a scrape. Anyways, after talking to the guy for a while I managed to get full and unlimited permission as the only one to hunt there. The cooler full of elk meat and salmon may or may not have played an impactful role in that decision. Anyway, I decided to tread lightly and look around after I finished with him. I brought a cellular cam and walked the field edge where those deer were. I walked until I found a good trail which didn’t take long. 35 minutes after hanging the camera while driving home I get this:
    [​IMG]

35 minutes!!

So I go home, change, grab my bow and climber and head right back. I set up right in there and waited.

I didn’t wait long. No more than 20 minutes a super nice 3 year old 9 point gave me a shot at 15 and got a pass. Well full disclosure I kinda pissed myself to see him, drew back, and then talked some sense into me while letting down. He was definitely borderline. I don’t know mid 20’s maybe.
    Anyway long story short I saw 6 bucks: the 9, two tens (one a shooter and one not), a small 8, a spike, and a fork. And 8 does.

This is what I saw in sitting from 230 to dark. There’s a real nice creek that runs through the whole property and 3 ponds. It’s literally Kansas like. The deer haven’t been pressured AT ALL. You could just tell by their behavior despite what turned out to be an iffy wind. I mean they have had that as a sanctuary and it’s unbelievable.

I will be back there before sunrise and will get down in one of two situations: 1.) I kill one 2.) it gets dark.

I feel so fortunate to have a place like this and while it’s not a sure thing, just seeing deer is so relieving compared to the total lack of anything I’ve been experiencing. It’s not even about killing one for me. Just the fun I’m gonna have over there even seeing deer in size and number like this is gonna be a blast.

Good luck buys I’m gonna get some shuteye soon. See y’all in the arból (I know u take Spanish joe)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been in those shoes before!

Holt likes this.
  10. vanfossen

Dislikes Received:
    Love the photo, looks like she’s saying “oh s***!” Lol

Frankiecruzer likes this.
  11. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It was shotgun season. I heard something crashing and a nice buck was running full speed through some thick nasty stuff. I pulled my gun up and his tines got tangled. His body wrapped around perfect broadside and I dropped the hammer. Turns out a neighbor shot him over a mile away. He had abandoned his search long before he even got to me. I’m pretty sure they bumped him to me. He hit him in the chest but like in the armpit. Was it a lethal shot? Probably. Would they ever have found him? No. I talked it over with him and he said it was my deer. I felt horrible and offered to split the meat with him. He declined. He’s good people. Hope yours wasn’t super stressful and turned out for the best

12. vanfossen

Dislikes Received:
    Did you prove her wrong?

13. vanfossen

Dislikes Received:
    Should of dropped the release instead of a hammer lol

14. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like a sack of potatoes. Ok, 6 sacks of potatoes.

15. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been looking a lot at getting a saddle for next year. It could be great for public land. It’s not for everyone. Hell idk if it’s for me yet lol but it’s worth looking into.

dnoodles likes this.
  16. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I once shot a buck from a tree stand that was only about 4 feet off the ground. I was Bowhunting a urban zone and my buddy was doing a deer drive for me. He dropped me off with my tree stand and I left my steps in the truck. Only thing I could do was put the stand up about chest high and pull myself up.

Go for it!

CMTRAV and dnoodles like this.
  17. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You did the right thing.

StanfillKY and Holt like this.
  18. Luke79

Luke79 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats to everyone that has scored this week. Sunday can’t come soon enough. 5”of fresh snow and cold should get the big boys on there feet

19. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the buck. Glad you found him

20. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out to a piece of 50 acre private land in the morning that’s usually good in the rut. Haven’t hunted it this year. It’s a big travel corridor that bucks seem to funnel through this time of year. Don’t get out of work until 7 so it’s gonna be after daylight before I get in there. Honestly works better that way because I usually don’t start seeing the deer until around 830-9. Wind is perfect but I won’t be completely scent free like I like rolling out of work. Usually when it happens haha

Mathews Halon
    Black Eagle outlaws
    Magnus Buzzcut 4 blades
    Nasty combo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.