Out smarted by buck for 3 years. Help please

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by JohnSimpson, Nov 8, 2018.

1. JohnSimpson

JohnSimpson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Okay so I have had permission to hunt a piece of property in front of a neighborhood for the past few years. I’ve harvested a two nice bucks and two does. I only shoot one buck and one doe a year to manage my deer, but there is one buck I’ve had on camera since I’ve been able to hunt this land. I’ve seen him only once but I do have trail cam pictures of him. He has been a magician for the past 3 years. The rut is not to active in this land. Any advise for getting him in daylight? upload_2018-11-8_14-35-58.jpeg

StanfillKY likes this.
  2. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You probably won't unless you can hunt close to his bed. If you only get late night pics, then most likely he is bedded farther away and travels thru there during night when he reaches the property. If bait is legal, then you can try that. Or wait for the rut and just hope he comes by.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

StanfillKY and cml5895 like this.
  3. JohnSimpson

JohnSimpson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I do bait with corn. I’m not allowed to make a food plot. The rut is not good, I’m located in South Georgia. He normally traveled with a smaller 8pt that I killed last year. He was by himself that evening. There is a ton of does so I hunt on heavily active trails. Thank you for the feed back

4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If your hunting suburban type properties, check out a YouTube channel called Seek one. They are based in Georgia and do neighborhood type hunts. You may be able to pick up on some tips to help you out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

StanfillKY likes this.
  5. JohnSimpson

JohnSimpson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Alright will do! Thanks!

6. StanfillKY

StanfillKY Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Seek One Productions " Suburban Bowhunter" is a pretty informative and awesome show to watch.

Holt likes this.
  7. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you're getting pictures pre and post rut, (regardless of time) he's close by. Find his bed, it will be located someplace on the edges. Slip in there as close as you can and catch him leaving the bed...wind in favor of course. Beyond that, you will hunt him exactly like you do mature bucks in any other setting.

On every property I've ever hunted, the same patterns play out like some distilled essence of deer behavior seeping out from the dawn of the whitetails existence....(edges) cover, structure and terrain, bedding and food source.

But there is no black and white...just tattered shades of grey...a balancing act between the big picture and the details...being passive and aggressive. If you focus to much on the big picture, it can become overwhelming and cause you to miss the details. If you focus to much on details you miss out on the big picture, which helps you stay ahead of the shifts. Start from the outside and work your way in...passively in the scouting, aggressively in the hunt.

The differences in which build up an individual buck are key, but it's also a secondary layer that should only be dove into after the primary layer has been peeled back.

When transitioning from one buck to another or reading multiple bucks at the same time. One should focus on the similarities first, repeatable, transferable, consistency within a range of subjects (big picture). This helps lay the foundation for a solid strategy. And only then, should one dive into the differences that separate each buck individually (the details).

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018