Revenge of the 5th. Team 5 Official thread.

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Okiebob, Aug 13, 2018.

1. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Didn’t see a deer. It was a beautiful afternoon to be out but it just wasn’t in the cards today. Tomorrow is another day.

Shocker99 likes this.
  2. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well no sightings this morning, nothing worth even talking about the last couple of days. Frustrated.

Shocker99 likes this.
  3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys and gal lol. don’t know why I didn’t post on our Team thread first. I had horrible reception and my camera was messing up on my phone. Shot a buck yesterday. It was a great hunt. He is not even close to my biggest buck but it felt good so I took him. He scored 114” and it was a frustrating/rewarding public land hunt. I definitely saw bigger deer but they didn’t come my way. I have another buck tag and will only shoot a giant at this point. 2 deer in the freezer and plenty season left. Big relief because my extended family loves venison so guess what they get for Christmas :biggrin:

4. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck, congrats man! Change your score on the score card thread to the gross measurement though.

Shocker99 likes this.
  5. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Just checked that. It was Gross score I had Net on accident

Okiebob and slickbilly-d like this.
  6. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    It’s about to hit the fan Okie. Hang in there

Okiebob likes this.
  7. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Shocker!

Had a close call tonight. Had a really nice 8 come in and by me at around 40 yards. I just couldn't get a clean shot. He got past me into a dry creek bed and I grunted at him, he popped up on the other side and worked towards me again but eventually turned and walked away. I threw a hail mary snort wheeze at him and he didn't miss a step.

He was a large framed 8 probably would have scored around 130. He was the only deer I saw tonight. Seems like we are still waiting for things to bust loose in Nebraska.

Shocker99, Okiebob and slickbilly-d like this.
  8. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Shocker! Way to get it done.

I drew back on a doe this morning but just couldn’t get a shot off. Things are still extremely slow here in KY. It’s like we are perpetually stuck in the beginning stage where only small bucks are bumping does a little bit.

This morning we drove through the crop field to the back corner of the farm to pull a camera. As we were heading back... 18 does busted out of a thin strip of woods and ran across to the next block of cover. So I’m wondering how 18 does and fawns can be bedded together and have no bucks around this time of year. The farm has lots of bucks on it. It’s just been a very weird and frustrating year so far.

Okiebob and Shocker99 like this.
  9. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Give it another week. This cold front coming through later this week. should shake things up too. We’re looking at lows in the 20’s and highs in the 40’s for 4+ days straight here in southwestern Illinois. I saw 5 130-150” bucks moving this weekend and none of them was on a doe. Also saw about 5 smaller bucks including the one I shot. None of them were on a doe. My buddy saw about the same amount but had only one 3 yr. old 8pt. grunting like crazy and bumping a doe around. So only one buck out of about 10 mature ones that we saw was on a doe. It’s still not time

Okiebob likes this.
  10. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    I’m seeing the same sort of thing going on. I took the first week of November off last year and it was a flop. Hunted multiple properties and saw zero deer. Cameras are dead besides spikes and forkies. Hopefully next week things get going.

Okiebob likes this.
  11. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    Just got home from a quick sit. Had a doe that was acting funny including blowing but never saw a buck behind her. Then late I had a doe blow through the woods and a buck following not far behind. They set up shop about 100 yards away in the woods on a creek edge until just before dark when they ran by closer but it was dark. I never got a great look at him, pretty thick that direction. A shooter but not sure of specs. First mature buck chasing I've seen.

Might be starting???

Okiebob and slickbilly-d like this.
  12. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations, great deer.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Shocker99 likes this.
  13. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm spending this week and next week in a stand hoping to get on a PA and NY buck. Yesterday I saw some chasing as a little spike was pushing a doe thru. Had 2 legal bucks @30 yrds but too brushy to shoot. One was a slammer,c140-150, big for PA. I grunted and he came to 20 in the brush but 2 doe we're hiding in the greenbrier. As I grunted, they got nervous and the woods exploded sending them up and away. Back in here this morning hoping for some action.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

drenman and Okiebob like this.
  14. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Back at work for a few days. Yuck. Good luck to you guys and gals if you’re able to get out. Should be getting good!

Okiebob likes this.
  15. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    Good morning from the good life!

Shocker99, slickbilly-d and Okiebob like this.
  16. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty slow this morning, one small buck and a doe across the field. Back at it this afternoon.

A couple weeks ago a local farmer stopped to talk to me as I was getting dressed to go in and hunt. He asked if I had seen anything good yet and I explained a couple that we had seen but nothing exciting. He said when he was combining the day before he had seen "the biggest buck I've ever seen". I've heard that before but last night I learned he was right. He came into the neighboring field from a bedding area chasing a doe. He was around 200 yards away and was an instant obsession. My best guess is 170+", big, tall, wide. You name it he's got it. He worked towards me a bit but then headed south following the doe. About 10 minutes later another buck followed the same path, he was only in the 130s. Only....

Needless to say I'll be working this area hard the next couple days until rifle starts Saturday. Unfortunately it's a long shot he lives through the weekend.

Shocker99 and Okiebob like this.
  17. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone heard from our long lost team mates? Booner, Okieknockers, countryfamily, pastorbigdan?....flopdrop?

18. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    They are probably out hunting like we should be.

Sat all day yesterday, with a small break for food. Ended up not seeing any deer in the afternoon, pretty rough sit. Had to go into work this morning, I'll be back in the stand this afternoon. Tomorrow the weather is going to be brutal, honestly not sure I'm man enough to take on single digit wind chills. Rifle starts Saturday which means stay the hell out of the woods on the weekends if you value your life.

Chances are if anything walks by today I'll probably try to put it down.

Shocker99 likes this.
  19. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Saturday begins my nine day rutcation, and gun season starts the 17th. I haven’t been in the woods in a week. Daylight savings time and overtime at work make evening hunts impossible. They just got the corn out at my parents yesterday, so I’ll be heading up there this Sunday. Standards have dropped from 140” or bust to....well, 120” would be okay. Good luck to everyone that’s out hunting

Shocker99 likes this.
  20. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been very slow here in KY... so much so that I canceled my vacation for today and tomorrow. I have so much going on st work I figure I might as well save the days for a better time. That said I really think things are getting going. I wouldn’t be surprised if things break loose tomorrow. My son and a couple of friends will be out there so hopefully they have good action tomorrow. Good luck to everyone that is in the mix.