How clean do you hunt

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sota, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My hunt routine.

Wash clothes in baking powder after every 4 or 5 hunts unless needed otherwise. Store in a tote, and if I’m feeling fancy, I’ll throw in one of those earth scent wafers.

Shower before the hunt and wear a rotation of clothes I wash throughout the season to my spot.

Spray down with some kind of scent killer.

All in the the hopes that I don’t lay down too much ground scent and that I don’t smell too terrible because if a deer is truly downwind or has the thermal advantage you’re toast.

Understanding the wind is numero uno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    100% wind guy here. I do zero for scent precaution. If I need a shower I take one, if not, I don't, lol. When I do shower I really like the Old Spice lineup...Wolfthorn and Krakengard both smell really good, I use the body wash, deodorant and even the body spray. Not sure what the wife has been washing and drying our clothes in here lately but it really smells good too. It also leaves my hunting clothes soft and static free.

Thing is, I enter and exit in areas I don't want the deer to use or I just can't hunt due to inconsistent and swirling winds. (low spots with alot of turbulence for instance). I'm basically applying controlled pressure for myself, discouraging activity where I don't want it and encouraging activity where I do want it.

3. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a scent control FREAK.i don't buy the scent free expensive stuff though, I use unscented ivory soap.
    I go through pounds of baking soda, not only to wash clothes, but to dust them also when dry.
    Skin gets very dry and itchy at end of season but it's worth it.
    I basically haven't been busted in years and have had 100' s of deer close and downwind.

Sota likes this.
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    bucksnbears you and I agree on some stuff.

5. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Could not agree more.

6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Josh is the cleanest hunter!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hahaha, and I smell good.

Smelled like 40% DEET, Old Spice and soaked in sweat from head to toe this year. But I used the wind, edges, knew where the deer bedded, where the deer were going and how they move between....so scent stream was a nonfactor with my hunts.

virginiashadow likes this.
  8. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I sprayed down with bug spray on public land 2 weeks ago. I'm talking about laid it down. 6 pter no clue I was there. Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gri22ly likes this.
  9. Riverduck11

Riverduck11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am glad I am not the only one that goes to these same extremes.

I wash everything I will touch. I take a shower prior to every hunt with the scent free soap. I spray my hands before touching anything else and get dressed in base layers. Drive to the hunting area and then get dressed outside. I wear 2 layers top and bottom of scent control, 2 different brands incase one is actually better than the other. I have noticed a difference since I started taking this to the extreme. On average, I will see 10 to 12 deer a hunt. I used to get winded by a deer every other hunt or so. Last year, 23 hunts only 1 winded deer. This year, no winded deer yet.

Could be crazy but I think it pays off.

Sota likes this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tonights hunt the wind was dead calm, can't use the wind if there is none. Had deer all around me.

11. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You CAN fool a deer nose but it takes a whole nother level of dedication to do so!!

One old doe can blow the **** out of a hunt.
    In fact, it was an old doe that hunted ME that got me too do what I do now.

Kilted warrior and Sota like this.
  12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Those old nanny does will hunt you, I have left a stand in place and moved to another stand close by and have watched an old doe approach the old stand. If you give them a hint they will solve you.

13. camoham

camoham Newb

Dislikes Received:
    guess I'm in both camps. wash clothes, gear, shower,etc.

also nuke the hell out of everything (gear included) with a commercial ozone generator that I have in a dedicated closet. either 15 or 30 minutes depending on how powerful a scrub I want.

then everything goes into travel bags.

one can never be to paranoid.

14. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I take a scent free shower before each hunt. Drive to land with what I'm wearing under my outer layer. Bring outer layer, gloves, hat, backpack and boots in back of truck in open tote. Spray down, put boots, outer layer, gloves, hat on and spray again and hunt. I don't like storing all my stuff in a tote when I get home. I think it smells like crap all bunched together being sprayed and worn. Maybe it's just me... I dunno. I hang all my outer layer stuff and backpack outside under covered deck. I like the smell of mother natures fresh air. My under layer stuff I will store in tote and wash as I feel it is contaminated.

15. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wash of course. Camo goes from homemade ozone closet ( plasticed off room with ozone generator ) to tote I wash my clothes after a hot sit or once a week.
    Please please please whatever your regiment ....don't wear your F#$%%^g camo into gas stations and Walmart guys. Take it off. Why work so hard on getting a shooter near you only to have every GD scent in the community on the path to and in your stand.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Sota likes this.
  16. RTRBURN

RTRBURN Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Shower no scent soap and shampoo, wash clothes and bath towel in no scent, then I I put EVERYTHING in my Scent Crusher roller. Then dress when I arrive.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

17. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have always been cautious with my clothes and my scent. I have been working harder at always playing the wind.. (sometimes I would just say screw it and hunt anyway). Ive also been trying to learn about and utilize thermals. Beyond that I bought an ozone generator on amazon and made my own tote. I also got the scent crusher ozone generator for my truck because I have been getting dressed at home/work a lot more than the past. My wife sells some sort of scent free deodorant paste I have switched to year round, she had to talk me into it but it works better than anything I have ever tried. I usually shower before hunting with some sort of scent free soap and then I spray down as I feel necessary. I definitely take a more relaxed approach to it, I used to get anxiety if I did not do everything perfect.. I think keeping a decent scent free regimen and paying a lot more attention to the wind has worked well for me.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    These people can not be helped.

Fix likes this.
  19. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I should be way more diligent than I am with scent control. I just hunt the wind and spray down the soles of my boots.

20. Bubby D

Bubby D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I used to wash head to toe and rubber boots soaked in scentaway, and about every thing on the market. I believe it's all crap, sorry there's just to big of a market for this stuff. You will not fool a white tails nose atleast not a mature one. Thermals and wind direction are key for me. Get yourself a few pods of milkweed and pay close attention to where your scent is going. Enter and exit trails are important, scent and visually. I find a deer that hasn't seen something enter the area is less likely to scent check everything. You ve probably expierenced this when an old doe saw you in stand and threw her nose in the air for about a half hour haha. That being said I have shot deer that came in from down wind, sometimes it's just meant to be. I think you should still be cleanly but I feel more confident without scent products and making sure I'm hunting the proper set. Another contributing factor is I rarely ever hunt the same set and am always on the move so leaving scent on a permanent stand is not as big of an issue.

Jrob140, Happy and Holt like this.