How clean do you hunt

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sota, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Talking hunting yesterday at work with a few younger guys. I have one guy that keeps asking to hunt at my place I asked him what he does for scent control he says I bought an ozone machine so I am golden. The young lads think I am crazy that I wash everything in scent free wash down to the towel I use for my shower and my socks and underwear I wear to hunt. Funny they all said you don't have to do all that stuff to shoot a deer, I said you are right but asked how many heads do you have on the wall? They all think it is because I have my own land. Damn kids just don't get it.

2. Urban VA Deer Hunter

Urban VA Deer Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't go extreme with scent control. I wash my clothes and shower with scent free soap and spray down with scent killer before I go into the woods. But I'm mostly hunting urban areas where there are a lot of people. My favorite spot this year is a 5 acre piece in the back of a neighborhood. I'm usually watching people cut grass, wash cars etc.. Now if I were hunting where deer don't usually see or smell people then I would step it up a bit more.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There is a big difference in deer seeing and smelling humans where they usually do vs in the woods where the deer are.

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wash myself and clothes in no scent soap. Hang dry clothes if available. If not I use the dryer. Every single hunt of mine I take the wind into account. Works for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

cantexian, Scott/IL and Sota like this.
  5. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am pretty picky about my hunting clothes! I wash them and towels and underwear in scent free wash then dry with dead down wind dryer sheets then they go outside to be sprayed down and air out! I also never get changed in the house! My clothes never come in the house unless they are in my scent crusher bag! My wife says I am crazy !

Sota likes this.
  6. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I generally will shower before every hunt in scent free soap and use scent free deodorant. I only wash my clothes now if they get very dirty or blood on them, but I store everything I carry in bags or containers that have ozone machines. I’ll give all the stuff I carry in or wear a fast five minute ozone bath before every hunt.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Shocker99 and Lung Buster like this.
  7. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do exactly the same, even the stuff I wear to my hunting land. Call me crazy but I believe it makes a big difference. Yes I am anal

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will admit first thing out of the shower I put on the nitril gloves, why leave scent on every thing you touch? I do have the clean room tent set up where I store gear and get dressed. My wife doesn't think I am crazy she enjoys the fact I am distracted.

cantexian, Blarney22, Okiebob and 2 others like this.
  9. MI Apex Predator

MI Apex Predator Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Must have some great soap and deodorant if it lasts a month!

10. MI Apex Predator

MI Apex Predator Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I wash everything in scent free, including the cloths i wear to travel to my hunting area, and store in air tight totes. I change in the parking area and spray down before hunting.

11. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wash everything too. My buddies think I am crazy. I ask them how many bucks they saw last year.....I passed 17. They haven't seen 17 bucks in the last 15 years combined. They too say it's because I hunt private land. To hunt with me you need to use my scent regime and pass my archery skills test with BH. So far, only one. And fortunate for me - he lives in Alaska.

12. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    lol, dang auto correct!

afishhunter and MI Apex Predator like this.
  13. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They don't get it like they don't get what real life is about!!! I wash everything insect killer detergent, spray down, the whole 9 yards. The only thing I do not use the Ozonics!

14. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't do much of anything. I keep my clothes clean and my self. Do run my hunting clothes in scent free, but that's about it. I will wear the same clothes for multiple sits and they are laying on the floor of my work truck. I use to try the whole scent free, but I haven't noticed any different in deer sightings. I actually shoot alot bigger bucks now then before. And I don't have to worry about my scent. It's all location, setup and wind for me from here on out. Make hunting alot more enjoyable now!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

TheHardWoods913 and early in like this.
  15. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt naked covered in mud and leaves from the nearby creek.

seriously though. I've got a couple wall hangers and I think that your approach and exit to the stand as well as wind direction are the most important.

We wash our normal clothes in ALL free and Clear anyway, so there is very little scent to my underwear. My outer layers are washed in baking soda and I spray down with scent killer or whatever is on sale.

In the end, just do what makes you confident.

early in and Lung Buster like this.
  16. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    My scent control game has changed throughout the years. I used to be OCD like a lot of you guys, but I just ran out of steam or drive to be that crazy about it. I still shower in Dead Down Wind every day during the season whether I'm hunting or not, wear scent-free deodorant all year long and try to shower immediately before my hunts when I can. I no longer wash all of my bath towels and under garments in scent free clothing. I also don't care as much about driving to my spot with my hunting clothes on so long as my truck is clean. Sometimes it's nice to get dressed at home where it's warm instead of outside where it's cold and windy.

Outside of that I keep all of my gear in a big tote and use a Scent Slammer ozone unit to deodorize everything once a week or as needed. That includes my clothing, pack, boots, etc. Everything I can fit in that tote gets ozoned. I also throw all of my ScentLok in the dryer each week before the weekend comes to make sure it's as effective as possible. Then I spray my hands, boots and hat down with DDW before heading in to hunt and try to play the wind as much as possible.

So it's far more than nothing, but far less than wearing nitrile gloves when I get out of the shower. :lol:

17. JoshKeller

JoshKeller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    wash my clothes and myself in scent free detergent. spray down occasionally, but most importantly, i have stands set up to hunt every possible wind except swirling - those days are spent fishing.

arrowflinger1 and Cablebob like this.
  18. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I overheard a conversation at work similar to yours, talking about getting an ozone unit so they don't have to hunt the wind. I thought about joining in but decided to walk by.

As far as my methods, I used to be a lot more extreme but I switch out my old spice for scent free body wash and deodorant. I also wash my clothes in scent free detergent and keep them in a tote but thats about all I do. I've had an ozonics unit for a couple years but can count on one hand the amount of times I've used it

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use ozone to treat my stuff, never in the stand.

Westfinger and davidingle like this.
  20. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All clothes are washed in scent free soap then stored in my scent crusher bag, I use scent free deodorant and shower with scent free soap (DDW)
    I also spray down with scent killer before each hunt.