A 4 Point To Be Proud Of

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Tony, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And here is my story...

I come in from the morning hunt and ask the farmer if I can drive my SUV across the street to hang a stand this afternoon and he offers to take me right there with his Gator ATV.

When I get back for the afternoon hunt we motor over to the new stand spot at a blistering 1.5mph

It is so overgrown so I told him I will come back in the off season to get it ready for a stand next season. His pit bulls meet us out there and are running all over.

As we head back he asks me if he could take me back to my other stand. Thinking he meant the edge of the field, 500 yards from the actual stand I said , sure! (He is an older guy and one of the best people I know)

He drives around the property as the dogs are running through the woods pooping and peeing on everything. He then continues into the woods even tho I told him I was fine there. So he takes me all the way to my stand as the dogs are running around the area I’m hunting.

I say thank you and goodbyeas I dejectedly went to my stand knowing there is no way I will see anything with all that commotion and odors left right there..... I whine and complain on my team text message about it all and we jokingly said, watch you kill something...

At 5:30 I look to my right where the swampy thorny junk is that the doe I shot on Thursday came from and all I see is a gray ghost heading my way... he is huge in body and his rack is very noticeable. He gets closer...I get ready... he jumps the barb wired fence and heads straight towards me... he gets to the creek and turns as he crosses....

He slowly walks and I’m amazed that it’s a 4 point. His head gets behind a tree and I draw the new PSE Evolve with ease ( this bow is incredible) As he angles away at 25 yards I settle my pin and try and stop him twice but he wouldn’t... so I loose my Killzone tipped Bloodline arrow and watch as a huge spray of blood spews from his side. He headed back the way he came in a hurry and jump the fence and trip but kept on going... dead on his feet.

I wait only 5 minutes as it was obviously a lethal shot and find the blood trail right away IMG_2495.JPG and it’s heavy. .... and it’s everywhere ...trees, brush, ground. I find the arrow absolutely soaked in blood IMG_2496.JPG and the trail continues on ... I did not trail tape as I tracked as I expected to see him right up ahead... 100+ yards later. There he is! IMG_2498.JPG

The shot shredded his lungs a cut his liver in half... I quickly gut him out while I still have light and then I saw art to drag him ... trying to drag him with one hand in a swampy thorny area with log, limbs, and trees all over the ground was horrible and very slow. Now it’s dark and I’m not sure where I am....I called the farmer and asked him to bring out his Gator as I cannot possibly drag this joker out when I don’t know where I am . He came out to where my stand was and I see his lights and he sees mine...

He and his wife make their way over to me... she grabs my bow and I can now grab this big boy with both hands and walk backwards... I finally get him to the Gator and loaded up. IMG_2502.JPG My nephew Adam who I had called earlier met us on the trail and we all went back to the farmers house. Since this guy was not going to fit in my SUV, Adam took it to my house. It’s packed with ice and going to the processor and Jan wants a deer mount and he has the coolest coloring and cool rack.... we will get him aged and weighed as well.... just a crazy night!

Thank you to the farmer and his wife... thank you to my hunny, Jan for all your support and thank you Adam for all your help... love you all!

IMG_2516.JPG

IMG_2516.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Attached Files:

dprsdhunter, Junior, dmen and 25 others like this.
  2. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on an oustanding buck.
    Great story

jwillis4848 and Tony like this.
  3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Great job! Loved the story. I always find it interesting how when we least expect it, things go our way. Proving yet again that all this crap we worry about and obsess over doesn't mean much in the big scheme of things.

4. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can see you creeping along in the gator...."You know what? I think I'll just walk, gonna be getting dark here in a few hours", lol.

Tony likes this.
  5. Ks.hunter

Ks.hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats. great story!

Tony likes this.
  6. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats and awesome story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony likes this.
  7. 95grvrMotive6

95grvrMotive6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tony likes this.
  8. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That could not happen! All those scents would but every deer in the next county. Wake up it was a dream. Deer do strange things and that was a great story and a fine buck.

Tony likes this.
  9. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! A great story, I guess there are no antler point restrictions in that area? In Arkansas, that buck would have to be passed. We have a three point or better on one side restriction. Even as mature as that buck is, it would be illegal here.

Tony likes this.
  10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You doing the cementum annuli or using the jaw bone?

11. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tony likes this.
  12. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What is that first one???

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

13. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck, Tony! Congratulations!

Tony likes this.
  14. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You send 2 bottom incisors in to https://deerage.com and they put them in an acid that softens them. They then take a cross section of it and age it based on layers. It's similar to aging trees. I sent in my 2011 buck, took several weeks, but they also have a speedier process for a little more. When I did it it was $25 I believe.

StanfillKY likes this.
  15. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome. Crazy big 4pt. Always nice having a good story to go along with one on the wall!

Tony likes this.
  16. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on a great buck! Love the picture of the farmer and his wife.

Tony likes this.
  17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome Tony nice pictures too.

Tony likes this.
  18. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck...awesome stuff

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tony likes this.
  19. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing your great story. Great buck too, nice big body. I would shoot him all day! Again, congrats

Tony likes this.
  20. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very Nice Buck & Awesome story & memories to be remembered forever... congrats Brother!!

Tony likes this.