Team 23 The Straight an' Arrow!

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by foodplot19, Aug 13, 2018.

1. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It appears that Brad is way behind on tallying the scores up. We are in good shape guys!! Just keep after it and it'll all work out.

Best of luck!! This is the time of year that we all dream of to be in the stand!!

802bowlife likes this.
  2. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No much to report today. Saw 1 4pt, spike and a doe. I was in the stand from 620 to almost 11. Couple more days of hunting around home then heading to Ohio from the 5th to the 11th. Skipping tomorrow’s hunt weather looks awful. I did have some large prints in my mock scrape I freshened that up before I left. Might hunt that spot again Friday.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

JGD and foodplot19 like this.
  3. ESbowhunter

ESbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    3 does and a small buck last night. Trick or Treating with the kids tonight then I'm off for the next two weeks. Good luck everyone.

JGD, foodplot19 and USAF Bowhunter like this.
  4. keepfallingup

keepfallingup Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out tomorrow afternoon and all day sit Saturday. Hoping to see deer moving! Good luck guys! Stay safe and have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

JGD and foodplot19 like this.
  5. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    Good Luck!
    I'll be out Sunday afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

6. 802bowlife

802bowlife Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    "Perfect" cold mornings the last few days but all my cameras are still showing all my bucks are nocturnal so haven't seen them moving yet. They're tearing open scrapes all over the mountain and have cameras on some but like I mentioned it's all after sun down or before sun up. Taking the weekend off to take a buddies kid out youth hunting so hoping to help him bag his first deer!

Good luck fellas.

JGD likes this.
  7. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Waking up at 5am to drive to Iowa during the rut...for a non hunting trip.

Good luck this weekend fellas.

foodplot19 and JGD like this.
  8. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted this morning and it was a beautiful morning. No deer though. Couple of young bucks on the trail cam but all at night. Get’em fellas.

foodplot19 and USAF Bowhunter like this.
  9. keepfallingup

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys, to my surprise, it came together yesterday for me!!!

Here’s the story...

So I hunt a small 3 acre piece of property in Dane County WI that is basically my brother in laws back yard. He lives in the country south of Madison so its not metro. This three acres of woods behind his house is connected to a large chunk of woods. I have one stand and one stand only. This is my third year hunting it and last year was my best year yet with seeing deer every sit. When the bucks start to move, they move through this pinch point where I am set up in. I do have a camera in the area and I get deer on camera, but nothing crazy. There is also no visible sign on these three acres. No rubs or scrapes. But historically I know they cruise through here.

So I had a small job on Friday morning, then rushed home, picked my wife up and we drove the hour and fifteen minutes to her sisters house. I was going to hunt and my wife is helping out with their 2 year old. My wife’s sister is very pregnant with twins so it works out for all parties.

I got in the woods at 1. Got all set up, checked my camera that had been unchecked for 2 weeks. Not really anything to speak of. Does and small small bucks. So I was basically just going to sit back and enjoy Gods creation. Didn’t do that for very long though. It only took an hour and a half...

Crunch crunch crunch crunch crunch.....

“Oh thats a deer” I said to myself. It was not a squirrel this time. I stood up and focused on the area I heard the noise. Sure enough, here comes a buck! I threw my binos up and saw that it was a good one. He came in from my left and stood in front of me in a small opening at 20 yards. He was focused on something and just standing there so I drew and settled my pin. There was a branch closer to him that was obstructing some of the vitals, so I had to hold a little lower than I would have liked to. But I touched it off, watched the arrow hit him and stick into the opposite leg. He tore out of there and then silence.

I was in shock. I didn’t have time to get nervous. I was concerned about the shot. I thought it was pretty low. So I packed up some stuff and went back to the house.

Gave him a little over an hour and I went back out to start tracking. Found a small amount of blood and white hair about 10 yards from impact. Tracked very sparse blood for 80 yards until I came to the property line. Left my bow, backed out and called my dad to have him come and help me.

I was nervous. There was not a lot of blood at all. I was a wreck. I thought I had messed up a great opportunity. So waiting for my dad to get there was rough. Called the land owner of the property next door and he gave me permission to track him. My dad finally arrived around 6:00 and we went right back out there with flash lights to pick up the blood trail. Same thing though. Slow going, not much blood, but we were finding some. I just though at some point it was just going to stop and that was it. But we kept going, maybe another 50 or 60 yards and then the blood picked up drastically! Shining our lights ahead it was all over. Then I panned over to my left and he laid there at 10 yards! Oh I was so relieved!!! So happy, so excited! So glad my dad could be a part of it with me! It was a good time! The arrow was still in him and we later found out that I clipped the heart. And with no exit wound, his cavity filled up and only came out right at the end where he laid. But he was dead within 30 seconds I’m sure. He was stiff.

So joy and smiles and hugs all around! This is my biggest buck with a bow over my 6 seasons. Couldn’t be happier! Going to butcher him today and score him. Thanks for reading me ramblings here. Good luck to all you guys!

10. keepfallingup

Dislikes Received:
  11. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome dude! What a story! I'd take that buck any day. Congratulations and good eating.

12. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    Hell to the YES!
    AWESOME story! Thought I was there with ya!
    Congrats on an awesome buck!

13. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Heck of a buck keepfallingup. Sounds like you got a sweet little spot there. Can’t wait to see what he scores

foodplot19 likes this.
  14. USAF Bowhunter

USAF Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dude...Keepfallingup, that is a brute!!! Congrats on a Monster buck bro and to have your dad share it with you is even better. Great job man. Happy for you. Congrats again!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

foodplot19 likes this.
  15. Mathews1995

Mathews1995 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    D0F6F278-EA8F-48BF-BEF5-185FDC70EB1D.jpeg 1C12CC38-1914-4479-B16B-6392414DCB03.jpeg Guys, I just shot a monster about an hour ago. I got a good hit but wasn’t a pass through. Found blood at impact sight and about 10 yards away then backed out. I’ll
    Keep you updated. I don’t have cell service where I’m at so it’ll be while. This is the deer I think it is

16. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hot damn keepfallingup!

Good luck Mathews. Hoping for a good story at the end of that blood trail.

802bowlife likes this.
  17. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    !
    Pig alert! Good Luck with the track Mathews!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

802bowlife likes this.
  18. keepfallingup

Dislikes Received:
    Whoa! What a giant! Hope the blood trail leads to him!

foodplot19 and 802bowlife like this.
  19. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    Damn Mathews! That would be a monster!! Hope you got him!

foodplot19 likes this.
  20. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great job keepfallingup. Congratulations on a dandy buck. Who says you need 200 acres to kill a nice buck? That’s just awesome.

Mathews if you shot the stud in that picture then it is going to be a giant! Good luck, can’t wait to see him.

foodplot19 and 802bowlife like this.