Ground Blind Question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Urban VA Deer Hunter, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Urban VA Deer Hunter

Urban VA Deer Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will be hunting out of a ground blind for the first time on Friday and was curious if you keep all of the windows open, slightly open, back one all the way closed? I have been practicing shooting from it. Thanks

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Kinda like hunting out of a stand you want to make sure you are not back lighted. If you are wearing dark clothing the darker the better which equals less windows opened. Definitely back one all the way closed if you can so that you blend in with the dark background. Also be cautious of the window. Many of deer lives have been saved by those window edges. Good luck and send pics. :biggrin:

3. Urban VA Deer Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hadn't thought at all about wearing dark clothes, was just going with the usual camo. Thanks

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I always keep the back and most of the side windows closed at all times. When hunting from a blind light is your enemy. I will typically always wear a black jacket, black hat and black gloves as well. If you have a face mask or paint use that too. The darker you are the better. Just like hunting from a stand make sure movement and sound are kept to a minimum. Being at eye level with the animals you're trying to kill is a lot more intense than being in a tree.

Also, if your blind isn't already out in the field then make sure you brush it in VERY well. Deer are typically leery of ground blinds for a few days or weeks after putting them out. It's really tough to beat them on a "same day" setup. Try to find some good, thick cover to get up against then cut down a lot of branches/brush and pile it up and around the blind to help disguise it.

copperhead likes this.
  5. Urban VA Deer Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's not in. I can't set it up until I hunt and for this particular property we are not allowed to use tree stands. I'm hunting only in the afternoon and was planning on getting there around noon to get set up. Thank you for the advise!

6. Inspector#12

Inspector#12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Keep as many windows closed as you can. Leave the outer mesh up if at all possible. Sit toward the back of the blind. Where a black top and face mask as possible. By keeping everything dark inside the blind you won't be easily seen. Good hunting

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

7. Prouder27

Prouder27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like to keep as many windows closed as I possibly can without blinding myself to lanes where deer will be coming into range. As for my shooting windows I seldom open them to the full window option and keep it open just enough to ensure a shot without interference. Avoid large horizontal openings with your windows. Light is your number one enemy. Sit in the back corner of your blind (as a right handed shooter I prefer the left side) and wear all black clothing. I also bring and lay down on the interior floor a black moving blanket to help eliminate noise from movement with your feet or extra gear. (Also keeps your stuff off the dirt) And like Justin said BRUSH BRUSH BRUSH. When you think it looks brushed in well enough brush it some more. Also like to mud down my blind to eliminate shine before the season, tip I learned field hunting waterfowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Urban VA Deer Hunter likes this.