Brisket Shot

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Prouder27, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Prouder27

Prouder27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thursday night in Michigan I had the opportunity at my hit list deer. Took a broadside slightly quartering away shot and had a low impact just behind the front shoulder and leg. Arrow passed through with bright red blood on vanes and coated in tallow with some chunks of meat on end of broadhead. Had a constant blood trail of bright red blood for about a 150 200 yards which turned to drops about every 10 to 15 feet which lasted about 3/4 of mile then stopped. Grid searched a 100 yard area from last blood with no sight or sign of the deer. My question is to all who may have experienced this type of shot/impact is what do you believe the chances of survival for this buck? Have been sick to my stomach the past days thinking about the ending of a beautiful animal to come to this but have been hoping in the back of my mind of him recovering from this wound. I’m not expecting for him to return to the area of impact just wishing this deer will make it and live off the rest of his days recovered or give another sportsman an opportunity down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Prouder27

Prouder27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Photos of arrow 2 days after.[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Bronson

Bronson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is that a G5?

4. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry man, that really sucks. Terrible feeling not being able to find the deer at the end of the blood trail. No words of advise for you other than watch for crows.

5. Prouder27

Prouder27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Grim reaper micro hades

6. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Impact just behind front shoulder, complete pass through, bright red blood and constant for 200 yards is a dead deer IMHO.

StanfillKY and Matthew Bolt like this.
  7. Prouder27

Prouder27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That’s where my mind is at as well, just could not find the body. Going out to last blood tmrw to see if there are any scavenger birds in the area to maybe pin down a spot I may have under looked.

8. elliotk

elliotk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Feel sorry for you. Do you recall what the deer's reaction was just after impact? If you were in a tree stand and the deer was close then the angle of the arrow's path may not have produced a lethal wound. I hope you find him so good luck on the track!

9. Prouder27

Prouder27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes he took off on a run stumbled crossing a creek about 45 yards after impact and lost sight. 18 yard shot from about 25 feet up. Thats also what I’m thinking is the angle and where i hit him may have bypassed vitals

10. Prouder27

Prouder27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    But the blood I was tracking kinda has me feeling otherwise

11. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    one of the guys on MW had a low brisket shot last year or year before on a giant 200+ Iowa buck. At first glance it looked like a heart shot but somehow it just missed vitals. The buck survived for at least several weeks (trail cams) but it did die over the winter, possibly from infection. Not exactly what you want to hear but goes to show they can survive that type of hit.

bowhunt4abuck likes this.
  12. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just trailed a brisket shot deer a week ago. Went an estimated 3 miles before we lost blood. There were times it was hard to follow in the CRP but on leaves in the woods it dripped constantly. A little blood is like car oil.a little spreads out and looks like a lot. Prick your finger a milk a drop on to your floor and you will see what I mean.

The deer I speak of showed up again a couple nights ago in the same turnip patch it was shot in. While infection could have bad results he looks healthy as ever now. Big buck are tough!

13. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That buck should heal up fine

dnoodles likes this.
  14. Prouder27

Prouder27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well boys.... He’s Alive![​IMG]

JGD, Napper and CoveyMaster like this.
  15. elliotk

elliotk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That is good news and I'll bet a sense of relief for you. Now you get the fun of hunting him some more!

Prouder27 likes this.
  16. Shoot Straight

Shoot Straight Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had an identical shot last year on a decent buck with the same results. The blood trail you described is exactly what I encountered and that buck is still alive today. Had consistent trail photos of him over the winter and saw him early October. Glad he's still around for ya and hope he heals up quickly.

Prouder27 likes this.
  17. Prouder27

Prouder27 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well boys he has been harvested however not by me. The bordering private property off the public tract I was hunting him got to take home a good Michigan buck. Bitter sweet, having hunted this deer for over 2 years and watching him grow into what he became. Would have been a hell of state land buck. Had a picture of him just after shooting light the 26th of November. Was shot the night of the 29th and recovered the following morning. Was out the 30th to go after him and saw a picture of him floating on Facebook while on stand and knew it was him. Later contacted the dog[​IMG] tracker who helped recover the deer and verified the deer by pictures and location. Glad he survived the initial wound and another hunter got an opportunity. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2019