Revenge of the 5th. Team 5 Official thread.

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Okiebob, Aug 13, 2018.

1. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sat my home place Saturday morning for a couple hours. They picked the corn in the small field to the north of my house late last week so I knew I would at least see movement. I had a doe and fawn close right at first light and then a small group of does across the field but no shots. Was hoping I might see at least some little guys hanging around but no bones. I did pull a camera I had in a draw and had a nice buck on there shortly after I would have gotten in the stand. He was heading my general direction but must have went east instead of west.

We had high winds Saturday night into Sunday morning so I stayed in bed, they let up around 8:00am. I was kicking myself for not watching the weather closer and getting my butt out of bed.

Time to get serious, I will be hunting 4-5 times this week. Looks like we have small drop in temps heading into the weekend that may help kick things into gear.

slickbilly-d likes this.
  2. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Today is going to be a interesting one. Cold front pushing through close to 2pm. I'm hoping to have all work related activity done by 3pm and on the stand around 4.30pm. With the cooler temps coming in I think the activity will ramp up quick or so I hope..

OKIENOCKERS and MSBK1 like this.
  3. OKIENOCKERS

OKIENOCKERS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We are out with the front coming thru, as well. Here's hoping & praying I get my first deer ever!!!! Even better if it's this guy!!! Oh yeah... hope the boy in the stand above me gets one too!!!! IMG950346.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

4. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Julie and Caleb!

OKIENOCKERS likes this.
  5. OKIENOCKERS

Dislikes Received:
    Caleb was just grunting ...we had one come in & blow. Not sure where it went. I'm ready to choooot something!!!!

Shocker99 and Okiebob like this.
  6. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Back at it in NY tonight. Saw 6 last night, best sit if the year so far. Passed on a small 6that came in and the does never we're close enough. Wind has died and it's almost warm here. Next 4 days show rain. Cameras show the bucks starting to move some so I hope to find one wondering around. 1540933609804.jpeg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Okiebob likes this.
  7. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Made it out to the stand early! Sitting over the food plot and loving this weather. Finally!

8. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted today and yesterday, full draw on a doe last night and tonight. Last night a basket rack 8 came out and started pushing her. Tonight, 10 yards, and a fawn came running in behind her. I let down, we had a stare off and she walked off with out blowing. I’m like Okiebob, can’t shoot a doe with a fawn right there. It’s been a fun weekend of hunting though. Seeing some rubs pop up and small scrapes on the edges.

Shocker99 likes this.
  9. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    How about this dude, though? :lol::lol:[​IMG]

pastorbigdan, Okiebob and Shocker99 like this.
  10. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Finalizing a couple hunts for this coming week. Little more travel time in between Spots than I’d like but it’s the way the cookie crumbled. One farm im going to has GIANT deer but they also have a restriction on age class and size so we’ll see how that goes. It’s a good buddies place and they highly manage 550 acres in west central Illinois. I hunted it last year and had to let some nice bucks walk. I’ll be at my uncles farm besides that. No rules down there shoot what gets your blood pumping lol

11. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My expectations and the reality of tonight were two different things. Everything must have hunkered down..

12. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    Same here the last couple days. Never fun to go a couple sits in a row without seeing or hearing a deer. Last night I walked to a stand that isn't easy to get to just to mix it up. I walked almost a mile in and all the way out without even spooking anything in the corn or the woods. Almost eerie how quiet it was.

Hitting up a different farm tomorrow afternoon. Golf this afternoon with some buddies before helping with a teenybopper party tonight.

Be safe everyone!

13. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same results this morning. Seriously thinking about selling the property to a developer.

14. OKIENOCKERS

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hooked on bow hunting!!! We sat for HOURS (me in blind on the ground & Dude in the tree stand above me....)not seeing or hearing anything but squirrels. This lil buck & a doe came in at last light. I went full draw for practice to try to get over my nerves. He stuck around for another 10-15 minutes after that. It's so neat to be eye to eye with the animals in their habitat. I'm holding out for my very first ever harvest for the guy I've shared previously. *** you can see me in the center window of the blind ***

Thank you for getting me hooked, kid! 20181101_195830.jpeg

15. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This guy didn’t care for the trail camera I put watching his fence gap. He’s really not going to like the stand I hung there if I’m sitting in it when he comes by.
    6737DB0F-BC03-45D0-AD88-C6B3ECF9CC60.jpeg 027ED3D0-66CC-4046-BB99-74E1CF4D2064.jpeg

16. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    I get irritated carrying my climber on my back and the top of it getting caught on branches, I cant imagine how annoyed that guy gets!

Shocker99 likes this.
  17. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had the neighbor across the road stop me this morning by my gate. Apparently their is a buck that I have no pics of roaming the north east side of my place that is "biggest buck he has ever seen." I am not to excited bc I dont know whether to believe him or not. He is saying this buck is over 190". I find that a little hard to believe but his son did knock down a buck over 200" two years ago. So we will see. I may hang a camera over that way and just see what turns up.

slickbilly-d likes this.
  18. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  19. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck!!!

Hunted last night on my family farm and passed a couple 1 1/2 yo bucks and a fawn. Good activity for that place, saw 8 deer total.

Tonight went back to the main place I hunt and saw no deer. I did have a coyote try to sneak by on the creek edge, it didn't go well for him. I hit him a little back, he yipped and bit at himself turning a couple circles and then hauled ass off into the woods. He'll die but probably not fast, I kind of feel bad. Kind of.... really I do.

When we were dressing today a neighbor farmer stopped and said he has been seeing a really big buck. He said he saw him in the fresh cut field this morning, wished us luck and made sure we knew that if we didn't get him by next weekend he'll take him with a rifle.

Rain and wind tomorrow, probably take the day off and hunt Sunday all day.

Good luck out there!!!

Okiebob likes this.
  20. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In blind this afternoon on side of the farm where I have the latest info on two of the big bucks. One of them walked by this morning after 8am so I hope he comes back through tonight.
    C0F63103-DBFE-48FB-AC42-B6171A7B4430.jpeg

slickbilly-d and Okiebob like this.