Team 7 - Fletched Warriors

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Dogfish, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Hammer1171

Hammer1171 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  2. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hammer, I am a scent control freak and use Ozonics, I also have a Scent Crusher bag for my clothes. I started using Ozonics three years ago after a buddy who swore by it lent me his for a week. I Noticed my close encounters with deer went up by 30 percent or more. It works but is not full proof, is it worth the money? I think so but with any product it is all about how you use it.

If you decide to invest in one I do not think you will be disappointed.

P.S It is 430 am and I am heading to the woods soon, good luck guys.

V/r
    Dave S.

3. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    1 hour of work left then I’m on vacation until thanksgiving.

AL fulldraw, Hammer1171 and fletch920 like this.
  4. artzeigler

artzeigler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here in Illinois is slow yet. Just starting to see some scrapes and rub. Heard some locals seeing deer dead. Anyone know if blue tongue or ehd is back in Illinois

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Maryland Guys, what are you seeing for rut activity? Here in St. Mary county I am seeing a few and I mean just a few Rubs and scrapes. Not seeing any chasing yet by any bucks large or small. What is happening in your woods?

Dave

6. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First sit last evening. It was great to get out and enjoy a beautiful evening. I had 16 does and fawns in front of me for the entire evening and did not see a single antler. Strangest hunt for this time of year that I can remember. At least I know where to spend some time now. The bucks will absolutely key on this area with that many girls to chase. I also wont have any trouble getting us 50 points in the near future. lol.

Hammer1171 and AL fulldraw like this.
  7. AL fulldraw

AL fulldraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm up in Illinois for a few days hunting public land it's been raining on and off today so far 2 doe and a coyote. Friday and Saturday should be better.

fletch920 likes this.
  8. Hammer1171

Hammer1171 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been seeing scrapes, rubs, and chasing. Just had a small 8 grunting and pushing a doe. A spike came through right after. It's on!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

9. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back from morning hunt, saw 2 doe and 1 spike. Pulled 5 camera cards and they all show doe groups of all ages still together, got few picks of medium size bucks still hanging out together. That tells me the rut is still a week or so off in my woods.

Got this guy coming in every morning at about 6:30 to 6:45. Need to see him live on the hoof to decide if he is a shooter or not. Home for lunch then back out on stand by 2pm, Good luck all and be safe.

v/r
    Dave

Attached Files:

Hammer1171 likes this.
  10. fshafly2

fshafly2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It was an intense weekend, but I drew no blood. I saw bucks at all hours of the day. I had a shooter run a doe around me Sat morning, but could not get him to stop - I wouldn't want to be btw him and his doe! I saw a shooter this morning in the distance, but his mind was on another doe...
    I even rattled in a couple of smaller bucks (pic is of an 8 ptr that came in on a fast trot this afternoon), just a fun time to be hunting!
    Buck 4 Nov 18_1a.jpg
    -fsh

11. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    20181104_185602.jpg I got a decent buck tonight. Hope to post more tomorrow.

Hammer1171, AL fulldraw and fshafly2 like this.
  12. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    fsh,

I have seen no chasing or seeking by any size buck. Tried some light rattling this weekend with zero results. Last night I pulled two more camera cards and all the bucks are still moving at night. The only bright side down here is I have noticed the bigger bucks are moving closer to daylight hours. Caught this guy on a rub line camera moving past....................

Checking the 10 day forecast I noticed a good temp drop coming this Friday through the coming weekend, hopefully that will kick the rut in full swing down here.

Dave

Attached Files:

13. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    I got out yesterday afternoon for my second sit in the woods this season. I had a nice, young 8 point come in the first 15 minutes and work a mock scrape that I made a couple weeks ago at 17 yards and another smaller buck come do the same about 10 minutes later. It was a perfect wind and setup for this hunt. At about 4:40pm I had this mature buck follow a doe to within 20 yards of me and I could not resist. He is definitely not what I normally hold out for, but this year is definitely different for me. After breaking my wrists this summer, I was not sure I would even be in the woods this year. I'm still unable to climb into a regular stand and am limited to ladders or the ground, so I decided I would get one buck under my belt and then see how the rest of the season goes. This is my first kill with a crossbow, and although a thrill, its just not the same. I did pass a 170's 6x6 on my first sit at 50 yards. It would have been a slam dunk shot with the crossbow as I can hit golf tees stuck in the target at 40 yards with it. But, I put a self imposed limit on myself to only shoot within my normal archery equipment range...about 35 yards. At 20 yards, I put the bolt through the middle of his heart and he ran a small circle and died about 40 yards from me. I was thankful for the opportunity and the quick, clean kill. He certainly is not my biggest, but I am happy with him. I will put a tape on him tonight. I'm guessing him in the high 140's to low 150's. Unfortunately, he is missing his left G2 that would have been about 11 inches long and he is missing an extra point that was growing out of his brow tine or he would have pushed 160. 20181104_170014_resized.jpg 20181104_185553.jpg

Hammer1171, John adams and Tony like this.
  14. AL fulldraw

Dislikes Received:
    That is a really nice buck. Congrats and I hope you have a speedy recovery from wrist injury.

fletch920 likes this.
  15. AL fulldraw

Dislikes Received:
    I went to Illinois to hunt public land Wednesday Thursday Friday and Saturday. Saw several young bucks a bunch of does but nothing mature enough to shoot. I'm back home in Alabama now and I plan on leaving Friday after work and hunting Saturday through Tuesday. Can't wait to get back up hopeing for better weather this time.

fletch920 likes this.
  16. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the brute.

I'm in the same shoes as you. It kills me having to shoot a xbow. Even with cranking a bow down to 40lbs I cant pull it back without pain, and then holding it back for more then 10 seconds is just not going to happen.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

fletch920 likes this.
  17. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Absolute Stud there buddy, big Congrats.

Dave

fletch920 likes this.
  18. fshafly2

fshafly2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well done Fletch! A hammer!!

-fsh

fletch920 likes this.
  19. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys! I will try to get him entered tomorrow and hope to take some days off this week to get out and fill some doe tags and hold out for a booner on my second buck tag. Good luck to you all and stay safe!

20. John adams

John adams Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the deer fletch. Looks like everyone is having a good season so far. Wish I could say the same, hopefully next week will bring some spark to my season. I will be on a quota hunt all week unfortunately it is rifle only, but I plan on getting back in the woods with the ole stick and string this weekend. Good luck to all, and sorry for my lack of participation thus far.. happy huntin!!

fletch920 likes this.