Aerial photos

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WildernessPhantom, Oct 28, 2018.

1. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always start my scouting via the internet to pinpoint areas of interest. My question is regarding bedding areas. Does anyone have any tips on locating bedding areas from an aerial photo(google earth)? I have access to a 250 acre farm with ag fields etc and have not had the chance to walk it. At this point in the season it would be more of a hang and hunt type of scout. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Safe hunting and God bless.

2. ruteger

ruteger Guest

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
  3. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a shot from my phone. I have permission to everything outlined in red including the piece in the center of the photo. It is like 25 acres owned by another, but also gave me permission. Basically, everything in the photo but the farm at the top. Lots of funnels, just need to find the bedding. Thanks. hunt.png

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Two places in blue I'd check

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    My attention was drawn to the pine grove you marked. It being so close to the road is what I questioned. It is the spot in the left side. I looked at it from the road with binos and it looks awesome. I have never hunted so close to a road though. I have read that it can be the best funnels sometimes though.

6. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your advice

7. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Yep. These spots in orange I'd be confident enough to hunt without even scouting if you are worried about pressure. In a week or so those bucks are gonna cruise that terrain and cover edge between those pines, creek, and stream given a west to north wind. [​IMG]

8. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    That makes more sense then what I was planning up by the ag fields. I'm going to give it a go when the wind is right. Seems to me like a morning spot being bedding area. I'd get in well before light and sit all day though. Not sure if I should walk it first or not to see if I could find a tree. I really appreciate your input. Being so close to the road, I think I can slip in easier than other spots. Thanks again.

virginiashadow likes this.
  9. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Depending how deep the creek is you could walk it and then go right to your spot. Virtually 0 ground scent and wind blowing from the bedding to you. Great entry.

10. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    The parts I saw from the road were walkable in knee high boots. That was my plan as well. I may walk the creek to look for a tree so when I go in at dark, I'll be in good shape. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again.

11. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck tj

12. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last night I set up in a spot along a creek bottom 150 yards from the interstate. I found it scouting online but never set foot in it until last night. Two does got up from their beds at 50 yards about 30 Minutes after I finished setting up. They didn’t come close enough for shot.

Deer will bed close to roads if the cover is right and there isn’t any human pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

13. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I never thought of it to be honest. I was always a "get as deep as possible" thinker. The property is posted so there shouldn't be any pressure there. They are landscaping customers of mine and I figured I might as well ask for permission and they said sure. The owners do not hunt. I'm excited about this year and moving forward I will be able to thoroughly scout the property in the off season. This looks like a great rut spot though. Thanks to all!

14. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    Hey,

I wanted to say thanks for the advice you gave me on the doe bedding areas you marked on my photo. I hunted yesterday on the edge of that pine grove. To the North is super thick nasty that no human could penetrate so the area between is probably 100 yards by 75 yards of pretty open space like a swamp with dead pines on that creek edge. I went in when still dark and did a hang and hunt. The aerial photo makes it look like all woods but is not. It was logged out 10 years ago and is super thick everywhere except where I sat. It was the best day of hunting in my life. A doe came out of the pines at first light followed by 2 young bucks. Then the deer started pouring out all by my stand. I saw 2 shooter bucks. The first a nice 8 just out of range and the second came nose to the ground trotting around and by my stand on a hot doe. It was a 10 that was a thick chocolate racked buck which Ive never seen. It was a beautiful buck. I just could not get him to stop. I grunted and grunted but he had no interest in anything but the doe he was after. I am not confident enough to shoot at a moving target. All together I saw 9 doe and 5 buck come out of that pine grove. I did not spook a single deer which I am very happy about. Every buck was on the same trail as the single first hot doe. It was crazy. Ive never heard a buck grunting while chasing a doe. I will be hunting it again next monday which is the last day of archery. Like I said, even though I did not pull the trigger it was the best day of bowhunting in my life. I was at full draw on a dandy and all this was by 11:30. Nothing came after that and I sat all day. I just wanted to fill you in and say thank you. God bless and safe hunting.

cantexian, JGD and virginiashadow like this.
  15. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    TJ...awesome stuff! Next Monday you will get it done. They will be full on rutting hard.

JGD likes this.
  16. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    Brett...Thanks again. I will be ready and will hopefully have a good report. This is what dreams are made of. Good luck to you.

17. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the great hunt in a new spot. Good luck on Monday. If you got out of there without being winded, Monday should be great for you.