Some things never change...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by PinkPony, Oct 25, 2018.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have been able to get out some this year. Wasn't sure with my Mom's new diagnosis and my work - but things are looking up and I"ve been getting out.

The thing that never changes...I had buck give me a 25 yard shot and I missed. Not only did I miss - (cleanly) - he moseyed away, then came back snifffed my missed arrow and gave me another shot WAHHHH. Yeah, I missed that one too....but I truly don't know how. No hair nothing. I think I misjudged distance as it was end of shooting light. I grid searched the area and not a spot of blood or a piece of hair.

So I missed a buck, twice. Every deer I shoot at gives me more than one shot. Gotta be positive about that, right?

Then, Mr. Buck came back out Tuesday night....but never walked down by me - too windy he stayed in the corner.

Game on Mr. Buck.

With that being said, HI! Hope everyone is having an eventful and successful season!

tkaldahl2000, JGD, gri22ly and 6 others like this.
  2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You need to start practicing on a deer target from your stand or a similar stand set up. Your mechanics are probably changing vs your usual practice set up.

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There's a video out there floating around with a member launching 3 arrows at the same buck. It does happen and usually at the simplest of times.

As Covey said, practice in your hunting situation. Height and clothing.

Another thing that might help, if your stand site allows is to get some colored markers. Get them the same colors as each of the pins you are comfortable shooting. Tie your 20 yard color on a few limbs or around a tree base at that yardage in a circle around your tree where you may have a shot. Do the same for your 30 etc. Will give you a quick glance guide as to what yardage he is at or between without having to fumble for a rangefinder or having to purchase one.

I like doing it with scent wicks. Hang one from a limb at 30 and another one on a bush or weed at 20. But using the same color as your pin will help eliminate using the wrong one.

PinkPony likes this.
  4. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I have a stand to shoot out of at home...lol. I dont fare well under pressure...for anything.

I missed him in a wide open sky bean field. They cut the field which had my visual markers.

5. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Did you miss him high or low? Just wondering if you are dropping your arm after your release? Hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm!! Good luck

Trenton Loewen and PinkPony like this.
  6. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Damn Kristen that’s some tough luck!! I hope the powers that be are kind to you and the family! Prayers sent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PinkPony likes this.
  7. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I missed him low, but after examining my stand, I wonder if I clipped a branch. Snuck out early today, we will see...

Lung Buster and early in like this.
  8. Anthony2991

Anthony2991 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You know the first three oppertunities I ever got I missed high. I finally realized is that when the moment was happening I was stiffening and just using only arms. This might be your case as well I dont know. But what did help me was to lean out with my bow pointed at the animal, draw back, line up, and then release.

9. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I had the best deer hunt ever. Had a seven point 14 yards away that I passed on, had a seven point scrape and run his way to 10 yards away, just behind a tree....had a four point walk past. Nine doe and didnt get busted (phew), a spike I almost sent an arrow at until it moved his ear and I realized..and a monster buck on the hedgerow with a drop tine. Things are heating up. It was an amazing sit. I could do that all the time and not shoot and be happy.

w33kender and JGD like this.
  10. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain. I had an antelope at 28 yards. Slider was set on 20. After the shot while I was reflecting on what just happened I realized I had no idea where the arrow went because I not only punched the release, I peeked instead of watching arrow flight through sight ring. Follow through is really important.

To top things off I did it again at 40, after adjusting the pin.

11. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    My first arrow I got too excited and totally forgot the peep site (not a first) - the second arrow, I'm really thinking I clipped a branch. We went out yesterday and trimmed the branch out of my window.

Sadly, this week is my last "real" week to hunt because time change is this weekend meaning I wont make it out after work next week. Our season ends Nov. 12th. They're calling for rain every day this week but tomorrow.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  12. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Happens to the best of us. Years ago I had a doe feeding on acorns at 17 yards. She got behind two trees with her broadside rib area showing and head down. I remember thinking of the back straps as I was squeezing on this slam dunk shot. She folded like a house of cards, spun to the left then stopped. I could see my arrow sticking in the ground right where she was. She came back, sniffed the arrow, stepped forward in the exact same spot and started feeding again. I shot again and missed again. Both arrows stuck in the ground about 2 inches apart. She circled and gave me a broadside shot at 10 yards. I aimed for the heart and ended up with one in the spine. Followed up with a perfect heart shot.
    When skinning her we found an old flesh wound. Looked like probably from a razorback 5 broadhead. It must have taught her well. With her head down, she was able to take advantage of the weight of the head and neck and used it as leverage to lower her body quicker 2 times. The fourth shot was through the heart but that was because she was already laying on the ground.

13. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I missed a hog by not following through last January. I got way too excited and I flubbed my chance.