Last Minute Pointers

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MikeK, Oct 25, 2018.

1. MikeK

MikeK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My time has finally come. Heading up to the cabin for a 10 day stay. Getting to hunt deer, bear and turkey all in the same week. Looking for any last minute pointers or strategies I might have over looked. Have a new stand I'm looking forward to trying out. It is in the valley along the creek where 2 logging roads come down from different directions and there is a small grove of crab apple trees 50 yds away. Hoping this is my new hot spot. I am hunting in Potter Co., Pa. Best of luck to everyone

StanfillKY likes this.
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Before you release a arrow spend an extra second to make sure your aim is true, good luck.

grommel, MikeK, Lung Buster and 2 others like this.
  3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My best advice would be to try to sit ALL DAY to kill a buck, the rut is getting under way as we speak!

MikeK and Lung Buster like this.
  4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with this as well. I had pics of a mature buck on his feet cruising around at 11 am yesterday. Over the next 10 days that's going to become more and more common.

virginiashadow, MikeK and Lung Buster like this.
  5. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree that if you can sit all day that would be great! I have seen a lot of young bucks on there feet early and even a couple that were chasing does! I did see one nice buck that was definitely a shooter cruising through the woods so it should pick up even more in the next week!! Good luck!

MikeK likes this.
  6. MikeK

MikeK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Plan on sitting all day as long as the rain doesn't get too bad. Last year it rained almost every day and even with a tree umbrella you got drenched. I had marked this spot 5 or 6 years ago with some marking tape and one of the other guys from the cabin saw it a few years ago and tore it down. Just by luck this year I was searching for another spot to hang one more set and stumbled back across it. It's only 200 - 300 yds. away from my other set up that is on the other side of the creek. My brother in-law is set up about another 300 hundred yds. away. He has 3 different mountain points coming down and meeting near the creek bottom with 2 more points that come down on the other side of the valley. Have a feeling this is going to be a good year. Will keep you posted when I get back home. Safe hunting!

JGD, dstouffer and Lung Buster like this.
  7. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot straight and true!! Best of luck. Cant wait to see your pics!

8. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pay close attention to the wind. Don't blow your new spot by being too eager and hunting when the wind is wrong.

9. MikeK

MikeK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well the trip didn't go as well as I would've liked. It rained every day but Tues. Temps were warmer then I would have liked and for playing the wind there was no chance. The way it swirls down through the valley it changed 4 times on me with in an half hour the one day. It's to hard to play the wind up there you just have to have some good cover scent. Never did get winded by any of the deer that I did see even the two that came in 6yds in front at 6:15 am could only see them in the moon light. Still managed to get doe Thurs. morning in the rain a 21yd shot. Didn't get any pics by the time I had her back to the cabin it was pouring and I was already soaked from have to cross the creek twice that was running high from all the rain. Can't get back up there until after Christmas for late season. Will have to work on getting the 2 pics of the bucks I am after on here. Hopefully the will make through gun season.