Set up problems

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Shiloh Sorensen, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Shiloh Sorensen

Shiloh Sorensen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all, I bought a used Bear Encounter compound earlier this year and I'm trying to get it set up to go hunting with. The only problem is my groupings are HORRIBLE. I took my bow to a shop to have them set it up because the guy I bought the bow from is way smaller than I am (about 8 inches shorter in height and had a 29.5" draw length, I have it maxed out at 32" as my wingspan is 82.5"). Since then I've had absolutely awful luck with even hitting the target. I've adjusted the peep sight, made sure I have the correct stance and grip, arrow is knocked correctly, etc. Can anyone give me an idea of where I should go from here? I like to try and figure stuff out myself so I can learn but this has me stumped. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

davidingle likes this.
  2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Short answer is go to a pro shop.
    Long answer is first find what your draw length is . It's your height divided by 2.5 or have a shop check.
    Next is have them level your arrow on your rest and check peep to eye level. This is a standard tune and not a bad idea every time your change rests.
    I'd start there and start at 10 yards. If groups are still $hit....try another bow at the shop. If you group with that it's your bow and you need to keep in investigating. If with a different bow you achieve the same results....you might want to try a different hobby. I hear top notch Thread managers are well respected over in AT
    #ImissTiggie

3. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is your bow tuned? What arrows are you shooting out of the bow? Have the arrows changed since you changed the draw length or are they the same arrows? Need some more information

4. Shiloh Sorensen

Shiloh Sorensen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It is supposed to be, but I'm not so sure that it is. And when I had the draw length changed I had to get new arrows. Are you from around central iowa? I am from central ia and if you have a shop I'll gladly bring it to you over a big name store

5. Shiloh Sorensen

Shiloh Sorensen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'll get it checked. I've never had a problem hitting a target before. I shot traditional since I was a kid and got pretty good groupings there. I'm definitely not ready for another hobby LOL.

6. davidingle

Dislikes Received:
    What town are you out of?

7. Shiloh Sorensen

Shiloh Sorensen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Little bit outside of Pleasantville

8. davidingle

Dislikes Received:
    I would highly recommend taking your bow to Scott at Back 40 Archery in Knoxville. I'm up in Ames currently so that would be a bit of a hike

Shiloh Sorensen likes this.
  9. Shiloh Sorensen

Shiloh Sorensen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'll get ahold of him, appreciate the help sir!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk