Team 11 Elevated Affair

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by AaronB, Aug 13, 2018.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I know that I haven't been posting much on the team thread but life for us lately has been very hectic. Anyway, I did manage to take down a doe this morning and give the team 50 more points.

I've already posted two pics and all pertinent info on the scorecard thread cap'n, so you don't need to remind me. :)

I've made some good shots since I started bow hunting but this shot is one that I will remember for a long time. I was sitting in a small 5 acre patch of woods. There were standing soybeans to my south and to my east. There was a picked corn field to my west and this patch of woods is bordered on the west and the north by a deep creek. Normally the traffic is east/west or west/east. This morning a group of about 10 does and fawns came into the woods from the bean field on the southwest corner about 60 yards from me. They stayed well out of bow range and made a big circle around me until they were right on the creek bank directly north of me at 50 yards.

I was sure they were going to keep going east, cross the creek and be gone, but the lead doe suddenly turned and headed right for me. I turned my Tactacam on, dialed my sight to 25 yards and got ready. I was sure they would come in and head east on the trail at 25 yards.

The lead doe stopped at 25 yards behind the leaves of a small tree and stood there for about two or three minutes and then she backtracked and crossed my shooting lane at 35 yards. I had ranged where she crossed at least a dozen times to make sure I knew what to do if this happened. Still, my sight was set at 25 yards.

I drew when I saw her move, but I wasn't expecting the backtrack. I shoot a heavy arrow (530 grains) out of a 60# Heli-m, so I whistled to stop her, settled the pin just below the top of her back and touched the release.

It was a beautiful sight watching that arrow drop in and hit her right behind the right front leg. The arrow blew through both lungs, the lower scapula on the offside front leg and stuck in the dirt.

A little while later I was about to update the "live from the stand" thread when I caught movement in front of me. A small 8 point and a four point came in and stood for about 5 minutes right where that doe had been standing when I shot her. I was hoping a nicer buck would be following them, but that was it for deer movement before I got down.

I'm colorblind, so I texted my brother to let him know that I might need help. There wasn't any need, though. I found my arrow and started looking for blood. Of course, I didn't find any, so I walked a few steps in the direction I knew she had ran. I was looking all around and then I happened to look down. She was less than 10 feet from where I was standing.

It's not that often that I make a bow kill and not need help finding it.

2. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I dont post much here guys.. Im in live from the stand most of the time if Im on here.. My wife is changing jobs and i should have 8-10 days to hunt. Will be 10 days if she gets off in time for me to hit a tree Saturday and Sunday evening. I hope to put something down soon! Congrats to everyone thats put something down so far.. does does does... if we all lay the hammer down on a doe and some of us take nice bucks we will be in the running for sure!

3. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Knocked and locked. Only my second sit of the year. Still very wet, but becoming manageable. More of an observation sit tonight scouting for tomorrow morning, but you never know. Heavy winds out of NNW, but should be laying down overnight at 28 degrees in the morning!

Attached Files:

MIHOYT89 likes this.
  4. Kyle Sinclair-Smith

Kyle Sinclair-Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like everyone (almost) has had a chance to get out and about. At the start of the season I said I would only kill a 350" bull or a clubbed bull. Well the big bull I wanted broke off a G2 so when I had an opportunity at Mr. Freaky I wasnt about to pass it up. I've always wanted a club bull so I'm so very happy to get him. Too bad I cant count it as my supplemental deer for 50 points lol

Stay safe my friends.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

5. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Movement has been a little disappointing Sat and Sunday, but wasn’t able to get out last night and it seemed like deer were in fields everywhere early as I was driving. Passed on a doe fawn Sunday morning but that was only shot opportunity I had. Hope to make it out tonight. For sure will be out Thursday morning and evening, Friday evening, Sat morning and hopefully evening and Sunday morning.

Our team is sitting pretty with Kyle’s dandy muley and the handful of doe harvests we’ve had. Now just need to put the smack down on some nice bucks and fill in a few more doe. I will possibly take a doe yet this weekend depending on what I’m seeing for bucks or time of day an opportunity might present itself. Otherwise I’ll probably wait until late season and get one then.

Good luck everyone!

Kyle Sinclair-Smith likes this.
  6. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had my first good sit of the year last night. Had a small six come by at 10 yards about 15 minutes after getting settled in my stand. Then it was quiet for a while. Watched the neighbors food plot start to fill with around 10 doe/fawns starting around 5:30.

At 6:00, had a doe and her fawn make their way to my clover plot and while they were feeding noticed the doe looking back toward the woods. Sure enough, another deer popped out and headed for the plot. It was a 2 year old 9 pt just inside the ears. He ran the doe and fawn off the plot with some light chasing. They circled back 360 into the plot and the doe came by me at about 16 yards. Thought about it for a second since I knew I wasn't going to shoot the buck, but decided to pass. The buck circled back around as well and offered the same shot. He proceeded to chase the does off the plot once again and began feeding himself.

It was starting to get pretty dark when I noticed the buck looking back at the woods and another deer came out of the woods and walked through my "mud" plot that flooded out that I had planted earlier in fall. As he approached, the deer started thrashing saplings and bushes on the way toward the plot so I knew it was a buck, but just couldn't see what he was in low light. He came into the plot at 30 yards broadside and immediately flared up his neck and postured toward the other buck. At this point he was out to 35-40 yards and I could see he was a mature deer by the body (I'm estimating 4.5 or more), but was still having a hard time making out his rack and didn't feel comfortable shooting that far in that low light conditions.

The other buck trotted off a little ways and the bigger buck walked toward where the doe had exited the plot and offered another 30 yard shot or so, but I just could not tell exactly what he was so I passed on the shot again as it was probably after hours by this time even though I could still see my pin no problem. He got out about 50 yards and I decided to snort wheeze to get him to come back (hopefully closer) so I could get a better look. He stopped and looked back at the other buck still feeding in the plot and stared him down as if to say "didn't we just settle this when you chickened out before". He ended up walking back toward my stand and circled down wind and I could see him testing the wind to try and catch my scent.

Now with the twilight sky reflecting on him, I could see his frame much more clearly than I could looking into the direction of the sun that had set. He was a nice deer. Still don't know how many point but had the frame to be a 130"-140" deer I would estimate with about an 18"-19" spread. He tested the wind a few more times, bounded once and just walked off. Caught my scent a little bit, but didn't act too spooked.

Kicking myself a little bit, but still am ok with my decision. It would have been a questionable shot ethically and even legally and we're just getting started! Hopefully will get out again Wednesday evening or Thursday morning for sure.

7. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glad everyone is getting out and congrats on the bull Kyle! I’m on my Missouri public land trip and we’re finally onto really good sign! Memphis area if anyone has any tips lol. Good luck every body!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

AaronB likes this.
  8. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wind wasn’t quite right this morning so waited for the evening sit. Locked N knocked!

Also diving into the world of cellular trail cams. Should be here tomorrow. Trying out the Spypoint Evo. Good reviews for the price point.

Stay safe and shoot straight!

pastorjim08 likes this.
  9. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck and a good choice with the cell cam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

10. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    AA4CD02B-162E-47DE-903E-68D8F5C30BE7.jpeg Out earlier tonight. Small 6 and two doe fawns.

11. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got it done tonight on my public land Missouri hunt guys. More pictures and score to come in the next couple days when I get home! Image1540520587.303797.jpg Image1540520602.734628.jpg Image1540520616.295358.jpg Image1540520636.723988.jpg

12. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    MIHOYT89 likes this.
  13. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks bud! Definitely an awesome trip and experience to say the least

14. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
  15. buckjeezy

buckjeezy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!!

16. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys it was definitely a very humbling experience!

17. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you guys would like to read the little story I wrote it it is on the live from the stand thread on page 297. It’s just a short story about the whole trip, ups and downs, highs and lows!

LittleChief likes this.
  18. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had a good encounter with a nice 8 last night. Snort-wheezed him within 30 yards but just faced toward me until eventually turning around and resuming the path he was taking before I was able to convince him otherwise. Almost!

I’ve been hesitant to use the snort wheeze in the past but have found it to be very effective on 3 occasions in the past two seasons so definitely going to be using it if the situation seems to call for it. In the case last night the buck was traveling completely in the opposite direction with a doe feeding out in front of me. Got him to completely turn around and head right to me. He was straight downwind and i just couldn’t get him to come any further and definitely didn’t want to give away my position by grunting or snort wheezing again.

Two pretty awesome encounters this week. Hopefully will be able to convert one of these times.

MIHOYT89 and LittleChief like this.
  19. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Great story and again, great buck!

MIHOYT89 likes this.
  20. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Chief! He’s posted with pictures and score guys!

LittleChief likes this.