Season ender in the worst way

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by selfbros, Oct 14, 2018.

1. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  2. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I’m confined to a bed for 3 to 4 weeks then moderate movement so there went my season 100%. They said I have to stay out of the cold if I don’t want the pain to get crazy. This Calcaneus bone is a real monster for recovery. If it gets infected I will loose my foot.

3. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
  4. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    upload_2018-10-19_16-56-38.jpeg

The stand and where it bent

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Selfbros..man that is rough. Keep your spirits up.

Like 20 yrs ago I was right out of college and worked installing cable lines. Well I get about 15 feet up a ladder made by a well known company and the fiberglass snapped. I slid all the way down the ladder and landed on my back in the middle of street. I definitely hurt something in my back but no one at the job believed me. That is bc they loaned me the ladder and didnt want to take responsibility. They said I hit it with my truck and broke it.

I never got anything for that pain and suffering and had to pay for the ladder.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oof, that's rough man, sorry. Hopefully all goes well and you're back at it in short order.

7. Bill H

Bill H Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear this. Hoping your recovery goes well.

I use a LOT of ladder stands. One thing we never do is climb up and undo the straps, never. Once those things are hooked up for any amount of time you just can’t predict what’s going to happen when you loosen it. If we know we are going to move a stand we bring the pole saw and cut the straps from the ground. Ratchet straps are cheap to buy. Especially when compared to what our friend from Illinois is going through right now. We also replace straps every year.

selfbros likes this.
  8. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    Well they put a 36 hour nerve block in prior to the surgery. I woke up and could literally feel the rods sticking out of my foot. It wasn’t a good feeling either. I told the nurse and she said really? That ain’t good. She brought me some happy pills and all was well until those wore off. The pain isn’t bad but its very uncomfortable. I believe I get these rods out in like 2 weeks. Then I hope I can not be on bed rest after that. This is the worst part of all of this. I’ll miss Halloween with the kids for the first time. Also I can’t go to Bill Burr in Chicago in early November. I missed the Fleetwood Mac concert last night, but my wife was able to take her mom in my stead. I wish I could have done this in January because I hate the cold months and would love to be on bed rest then. Lol

9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Stay tough brother.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

10. toadmeister

toadmeister Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good therapy to air out the pain and suffering, it leaves you eventually.

I would have taken those Fleetwood Mac tickets off your hands to help relieve your burden, just saying...

selfbros likes this.
  11. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Praying that you have a full and complete recovery. I know somewhat what you are going through. Staining my house several years back and a ladder fell with me and I had a compound fracture of the fibia and tibia and a crushed ankle. The surgeon said it looked like a bowl of corn flakes. Had an external fixater (basically 4 stainless steel screws installed, 2 in my foot below the breaks and 2 in my shin bone above the breaks and rods attached to the screws to stabilize the breaks) instead of a cast for three months then a cast for three months then several more months of rehab. The doc said I would have to have ankle fusion surgery within 5 years but it has been 20 years and haven't needed it. Still have a limp at times, swelling and stiffness and a limited range of motion in the ankle. It has not slowed me down hunting, I work everyday and am happy with my life even though I am not able to do all the things that I used to such as run, jog and participate in some sports but I was getting over that anyway. Long story short is that you will adapt to whatever the situation is and your attitude toward your recovery and your the new realities that you have will be the key to what you will be able to accomplish. I just wanted to share my story and let you know that you are not alone and things will turn out OK. There will be days when you won't think so and you will have a pity party and that is OK to as it is part of the healing process but trust me you still have a lot of living to do and it does get better.

Shocker99, early in and selfbros like this.
  12. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dude.... this is bad but it could have been much worse! At least you aren’t confined to a wheelchair. Or dead. You still get to see your kids everyday. If it gets infected they have some mean lab made antibiotics. I know from personal experience.i almost lost my arm right above the elbow. They delivered those lab made goodies every day in a refrigerated van straight from the lab for 6 weeks. Only thing was I had to sign a waiver cause they were rough on my liver. I also have a titanium rod and plate on my left leg from a car accident. My leg was shattered so bad it looked like a banana from the knee down but with more curve! Told me I’d walk with a cane. Truth is they don’t know for sure. I walk just fine. Also a guy I used to work with and my dad had the same injur to the heel. My dad fell from a roof of a gazebo he was building when the cedar shingles broke away (early 90’s). No surgery for him and he’s fine. The guy I worked with had to have his recomstructed completely. He walked with a limp only at work when on concrete for 10+ hrs a day. Hang in there man. Life is rough sometimes but we are designed to adapt and overcome battle wounds.