RACK AND ROLL! TEAM 14!

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by kjstaudt86, Aug 13, 2018.

1. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What does bear taste like? Is the meat good?

2. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some people like it. I on the other hand wouldn't eat one I don't care how you fix it. Everyone tells me I have not prepared it correctly but I just can't stand it but I love venison. The ones that I have killed I give to a guy that I work with that likes them, the first thing he eats is the liver. He swears that it is the best tasting liver that you can eat. To each their own.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well last night Pops and I hit our one property. I saw none till after legal, he saw over a dozen antlerless but was buck hunting (already shot a doe early on this property). He had so many around him I drove the truck to pick him up.

I may hit the alfalfa that they all headed to that night tomorrow night and see what happens....if I do it will be a ground set up or quick low hang and hunt.

early in and kb1785 like this.
  4. P&YChaser

P&YChaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Headed out to the property tomorrow after work with my boys. Gonna try a little duck hunting on Friday morning with them and then some bow hunting the rest of the weekend! They’ve been good luck charms for me before, hopefully they can do it again

Oldcarp, early in and kb1785 like this.
  5. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is my youngest boy showing off our ducks from last Saturday IMG_0850.JPG

kb1785, tynimiller and early in like this.
  6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like you guys had a great day!

Oldcarp likes this.
  7. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    Great hunt! For years that's all I used to do was duck hunt. We have some fine hunting here on the coast of Texas.

Oldcarp likes this.
  8. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Went out yesterday morning, cold temps and clear sky. Had several bucks and does around. The bucks were very interested in the ladies. Did a lot of scent checking and one chased a doe and was grunting to beat the band. Getting close my friends to getting turned on (in the biblical way) in this neck of the woods.

Oldcarp and Simplman like this.
  9. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to be in the stand this morning but have to much going on with work. I'll be in the stand the rest of the weekend though.

Oldcarp, kb1785 and early in like this.
  10. early in

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I'll be doing an evening hunt tomorrow as well. I'll post my results.

Oldcarp and kb1785 like this.
  11. Simplman

Simplman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ll be out tomorrow morning for a bit. I’ve got to hold myself back from grabbing that rattle bag and grunt tube every time I get my gear ready lol. Just not quite there yet in the season to start getting aggressive. Good luck boys! -Simplman-

early in, kb1785 and Oldcarp like this.
  12. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Last night Pops and I hunted a oak flat, had does move in but the one that got to 30 yards from me never presented a shot, he was just buck hunting but had a chip shot of 12 yard on one LOL. How it works.

13. P&YChaser

Dislikes Received:
    Out now with one of my boys sitting an inside edge of a cut corn field on some public ground, hoping for a doe but who knows what might show up. I’d just like to have something come out for him to see and get excited about!

kb1785 and early in like this.
  14. early in

Dislikes Received:
    That's what it's all about!

15. early in

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't end up going out, I got myself a damn cold. Actually, the cough is the worst part!!I should be good to go next week. :tu:

kb1785 likes this.
  16. P&YChaser

Dislikes Received:
    Well ended up seeing 5 doe tonight and had 2 starting to feed our way at only 70 yards out. Then another hunter cams walking through the field and bumped all the deer out...had about 15 minutes of shooting light left. So close, and my son was so excited to see the deer! Makes it worth it to me right there

kb1785 likes this.
  17. Simplman

Simplman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had a productive sit this morning. I hang and hunt every time I sit, so I try and get out pretty early. Had two doe move in about 30 minutes after I got into the tree. Had enough moon to make them out. Watched another three doe come in to 20 yards down wind of me and feed for 10 minutes or so at sunrise. This is my second season using a cheap ozone machine in my tote for 15 minutes to take any scent off my clothes and I swear by it. I’ve had way to many deer stand down wind of me without spooking. Last season I had two spike bucks come from downwind to the base of my tree and pee. My buddy ozone’s his clothes before every sit and today he videoed two doe downwind within 10 yards of him feeding for about 20 minutes. If y’all ain’t doing it, $50 off amazon and I think you’ll be happy hunters! Also had a buck in the timber working a rub, couldn’t see him. Just heard him going to town. About 15 minutes after that I heard some sparring. And of course the one year I skip buying a turkey tag I see 4 tom’s lol. Could have had a nice 25 yard shot on one of them. It was an awesome morning, hope y’all enjoyed your hunts and look forward to seeing some photos in the next few weeks! -Simplman-

P&YChaser and kb1785 like this.
  18. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    I'm struggling guys and I'll apologize. I've logged 10 hunts and I have only seen one deer thus far. The wind was a little to breezy I think after this front pushed through this weekend and go figure best weather is while I'm at work this week. I've been changing it up and trying to hit those high traffic areas like on the acorns and other places. I'm going to stay on it though and hit it as much as possible in the following weeks. In time, hopefully it turns around. On a positive note I'll have my new side by side delivered to me so hopefully it will pay dividends with hauling some deer!

kb1785, early in and Simplman like this.
  19. Simplman

Simplman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think we’d all agree there is no need to apologize. If you have gotten out to sit 10 times already then I’m super jealsous. It’s mid October, deer are changing their daily routine. It’s sometimes hard to get on top of them, crops are being harvested and bucks are building testosterone. Give it another week or two and I bet you’ll be bragging about all the deer activity you’re seeing. Good luck!

Josh/OH, dustywilmuth and early in like this.
  20. dustywilmuth

dustywilmuth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck man congrats!

tynimiller likes this.